collapse

Author Topic: Using other people's offering sites?  (Read 2150 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Using other people's offering sites?
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:30:55 pm »
I went hiking last weekend to a favorite Native American petroglyph site of mine,  and I noticed a new cairn had been set up off the path. There was no way to tell if it was heathen (though there are groups here), but it was obviously of religious nature.

It got me thinking, though... What if it had said something along the lines of hailing the aesir? I leave offerings up there myself, and if I came across a heathen shrine would it be appropriate (historically and/or modernly) to worship/offer at it, too?
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Using other people's offering sites?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:27 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;175380
I went hiking last weekend to a favorite Native American petroglyph site of mine,  and I noticed a new cairn had been set up off the path. There was no way to tell if it was heathen (though there are groups here), but it was obviously of religious nature.

It got me thinking, though... What if it had said something along the lines of hailing the aesir? I leave offerings up there myself, and if I came across a heathen shrine would it be appropriate (historically and/or modernly) to worship/offer at it, too?

If it's clearly a Native American site or area I would not make offerings to any but Native American spirits. The gods and spirits tend to hang around a dedicated site. I would make an offering to the Native American spirits, rather. If I went to a Hindu temple, I would give namaskaram to the Hindu gods and say prayers to them. I tend to think "when in Rome... ". But of course, I'm a polytheist pluralist. :)

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;175380

Maybe, but I'd go ahead and try to ask permission first. If you were to run across a Heathen cairn, there's every chance that the people involved could be using that same cairn to worship spirits/entities specific to their tradition or family; and it's more polite that way. Not sure how you'd go about asking though... possibly by leaving a note at the site?

(This is assuming that this theoretical Heathen cairn is well cared for and maintained. If it's clearly been forgotten about, by all means clean it up and offer away.)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;175400
If it's clearly a Native American site or area I would not make offerings to any but Native American spirits. The gods and spirits tend to hang around a dedicated site. I would make an offering to the Native American spirits, rather. If I went to a Hindu temple, I would give namaskaram to the Hindu gods and say prayers to them. I tend to think "when in Rome... ". But of course, I'm a polytheist pluralist. :)

Early Americans were there and left their mark, but it wasn't a sacred site. It's a state park trail now with great views of the valley, and its easy to be moved by the scenery and powerful sense of history.

I'll continue with my thoughts in the next reply.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:20:36 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;175406
Maybe, but I'd go ahead and try to ask permission first. If you were to run across a Heathen cairn, there's every chance that the people involved could be using that same cairn to worship spirits/entities specific to their tradition or family; and it's more polite that way. Not sure how you'd go about asking though... possibly by leaving a note at the site?

(This is assuming that this theoretical Heathen cairn is well cared for and maintained. If it's clearly been forgotten about, by all means clean it up and offer away.)

I suppose my hypothetical scenario involves a site similar to the one I saw, but that clearly states its in honor of one of the heathen gods. In that case, does the shrine belong to the god and any one is welcome to honor that god at it's shrine?

Matronae statues were erected for the tribe to leave individual offerings at, and how has that protocol changed in modern times?

Eh, I'll have to come back to this later.

Tags: