Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Greetings from an academic researcher!  (Read 1304 times)

Pitchforksociety

• View Profile
Greetings from an academic researcher!
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:58:53 am »
Greetings everyone,

I have been independently studying ritual and ceremonial magic(k) for quite some time now. It's been about 15 years (time flies!) of private study of high magick, low magick and everything in between such as Thelema and hermeticism.

I have recently designed a survey for practitioners of occultism and spiritual mysticism. The intentions of my study is to analyze ritual practices and trends in the community. I hope to gain a higher understanding of how other people practice ritual.

However, as per the rules of this board I want to make sure it is alright that I post a link to the questionnaire. I want to get a large sample, so I would love it if anyone interested would participate in this survey. Not only is it a bit fun do fill out the anonymous survey, I will also make the results of my analysis available upon request. These results can be beneficial to the whole occultism and spiritual mysticism community.

Please let me know if this board would be interested in getting access to this survey for my research. If so I will respond with the link. Thank you one and all.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from an academic researcher!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:09:02 pm »
I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that either, but I'd be ok taking a questionaire. I'd also be interested in what you discover. Maybe a mod could make a rules call? But yes, I'm down
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »
Quote from: Pitchforksociety;175310
Greetings everyone,

I have been independently studying ritual and ceremonial magic(k) for quite some time now. It's been about 15 years (time flies!) of private study of high magick, low magick and everything in between such as Thelema and hermeticism.

When you write 'private study', does this mean this is just information you are interested in or is this research being put towards something? The reason I ask is you wrote you are an 'academic' researcher so I'm assuming it's for an academic thesis or paper of some kind?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:39:12 pm by carillion »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:20 pm »
Please let me know if this board would be interested in getting access to this survey for my research. If so I will respond with the link. Thank you one and all.

Please take a look at our Research Guidelines and contact me via PM or email with the info requested. I don't forsee problems however.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:48 pm »
Quote from: random417;175315

A Reminder:
Hi, random417,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Pitchforksociety

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »
Quote from: carillion;175316
When you write 'private study', does this mean this is just information you are interested in or is this research being put towards something?

When I say private study I mean to say that I have been researching these subjects on my own time as a personal interest. As far as the current study involving the questionnaire, the intentions are two-fold. On the one hand this type of primary research serves as a vehicle to understand the ritual practices of what I have been referring to as the "occultism and spiritual mysticism community" to reflect my own ritual practices. What I also hope to accomplish is to return the favor by giving the community access to the results as a resource to reflect on as well. I am treating this project as an academic one, however it is not an assignment or thesis, and I don't plan on publishing my findings.

Quote from: RandallS;175317
Please take a look at our Research Guidelines and contact me via PM or email with the info requested. I don't forsee problems however.

I will PM you with the details, thank you so much.

Stay tuned everyone! On a side-note, the survey is pretty fun :)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:11 am »
Greetings everyone,

I have recently designed a survey for practitioners of occultism and spiritual mysticism. The intentions of my study is to analyze ritual practices and trends in the community. I hope to gain a higher understanding of how other people practice ritual.

However, as per the rules of this board I want to make sure it is alright that I post a link to the questionnaire. I want to get a large sample, so I would love it if anyone interested would participate in this survey. Not only is it a bit fun do fill out the anonymous survey, I will also make the results of my analysis available upon request. These results can be beneficial to the whole occultism and spiritual mysticism community.

When you say you're an academic researcher, are you affiliated with, or studying at, a college/university? If so, what subject exactly, and do you have ethical approval for the study? And how will the results be used? I would be personally unwilling to participate in research without knowing the answers to all of these things, as personal data can be misused (and often is).
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Pitchforksociety

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:38:33 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;175337
When you say you're an academic researcher, are you affiliated with, or studying at, a college/university? If so, what subject exactly, and do you have ethical approval for the study? And how will the results be used? I would be personally unwilling to participate in research without knowing the answers to all of these things, as personal data can be misused (and often is).

Like I said earlier, I am treating this project as an academic undertaking with the utmost respect to the participants and subject matter. However, my plans are to return the results found BACK to the community.  I am certified by the National Institutes of Health in the ethical protection of human research participants and I am also certified for market research by the American Marketing Association. This is because of to my Marketing background, which is my field.

I am doing this type of research is for a personal understanding of these practices and the community, as well as give the community a resource they can reflect on as well. I hope to gain a better understanding of my own ritual practices by looking at the community as a whole, albeit through the lense of a small sample. I consider myself an occultist who is has been inspired by Eliphas Levi, Aleister Crowley, and Israel Regardie just to name a select few.

As much as I encourage those to take part and share this questionnaire to ensure a large sample; I also encourage those uncomfortable with taking this survey to avoid it all together. To reiterate I have the utmost respect for all occultist and spiritual mystics as well as the craft as a whole. I understand the unusual nature of this request, and I feel I need to express that I am merely an educated amateur enthusiast who has decided to undertake a scientific project to better understand the nature of ritual, the occultism community, and ultimately his own. It can be said that this is done in the spirit of Scientific Illuminism where a scientific approach is taken for spiritual and religious matters.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »
Quote from: Pitchforksociety;175338
It can be said that this is done in the spirit of Scientific Illuminism where a scientific approach is taken for spiritual and religious matters.

Ah! Scientific Illuminism. You should have written that in the first place :). It might be useful if you explained what that means for people unfamiliar with the term.

The problem with push back you may get here may be due to confusion caused by various terms. Terms like 'academic' and 'research' have a very different weight from private interest. ( By the by, every experiment/research study done in conjunction with an academic institute is given separate ethical scrutiny by a board of peers . Just being under the aegis of one or another body doesn't confer ethical permission for each individual private inquiry).

It might be easier if you just asked people if they would answer some questions to satisfy your curiosity .Misusing terms can make people think it's sanctioned research backed by an academic body and creates different expectations and concerns.

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:16:01 pm »
Greetings everyone,

As a fellow academic, I'm all for it. Send away
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46:28 pm »
Quote from: Hieronymus;175346
As a fellow academic, I'm all for it. Send away

I've just read his PM and looked at the questionnaire and approved recruiting people to fill out the questionnaire at TC.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Pitchforksociety

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:51:31 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;175352
I've just read his PM and looked at the questionnaire and approved recruiting people to fill out the questionnaire at TC.

Thank you RandallS!

For those of you that are interested in taking part in this survey you can find it here:

http://goo.gl/forms/oYBhOxC8Yi

Once I am finished collecting data I will return the results back here for all of you. I Also encourage you to share this link with other occultists you know.

Tags: