Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who Am I Talking To?  (Read 1862 times)

Kirsten

• View Profile
Who Am I Talking To?
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:13 am »
I don't know if anyone will be able to help me find an answer to this question, but I thought I might pose it anyhow, just in case.

I am starting to wander further down the pagan path now as an adult (I stalled out around 18-19 and was very anti-religion for a while), realizing this is very much where I need to be, and I'm having trouble figuring out who (or what) I'm connecting to.

There is very much a strong female presence in my life (there's something feeling vaguely male in the offing, but no where near as involved as this other presence). When I am deeply sad or depressed She is someone who comes to me and provides a lot of emotional comfort. She is someone who I have spoken to almost my whole life, since I was probably 8 years old, when I was still a practicing Christian (I spoke to her as if she was my deceased grandmother, you know, a guardian angel kind of thing, but I think now that I was not speaking with that grandmother, but with this female presence).

I'd very much like to have a name for Her or be able to conjure some sort of identity (out of the deities there are, I mean). I feel like she's asking to be named and has been for some time. I just don't know how to go about figuring it out. It's a very motherly, nurturing presence, but there is a very slight edge to Her that's slightly discomforting, but I appreciate and respect that (you know, like how you love the ocean and it's beautiful and life giving, but could also kill you).

Okay, sorry, to get the point - How do I go about identifying who or what this presence is? Where and how do I look? And based off what I've said, does anyone have any ideas? (I feel very silly asking all this, but I thought I might just throw it out there and see what gets thrown back.)

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Who Am I Talking To?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:10:37 pm »
Quote from: Kirsten;175234
I don't know if anyone will be able to help me find an answer to this question, but I thought I might pose it anyhow, just in case.

I am starting to wander further down the pagan path now as an adult (I stalled out around 18-19 and was very anti-religion for a while), realizing this is very much where I need to be, and I'm having trouble figuring out who (or what) I'm connecting to.

There is very much a strong female presence in my life (there's something feeling vaguely male in the offing, but no where near as involved as this other presence). When I am deeply sad or depressed She is someone who comes to me and provides a lot of emotional comfort. She is someone who I have spoken to almost my whole life, since I was probably 8 years old, when I was still a practicing Christian (I spoke to her as if she was my deceased grandmother, you know, a guardian angel kind of thing, but I think now that I was not speaking with that grandmother, but with this female presence).

I'd very much like to have a name for Her or be able to conjure some sort of identity (out of the deities there are, I mean). I feel like she's asking to be named and has been for some time. I just don't know how to go about figuring it out. It's a very motherly, nurturing presence, but there is a very slight edge to Her that's slightly discomforting, but I appreciate and respect that (you know, like how you love the ocean and it's beautiful and life giving, but could also kill you).

Okay, sorry, to get the point - How do I go about identifying who or what this presence is? Where and how do I look? And based off what I've said, does anyone have any ideas? (I feel very silly asking all this, but I thought I might just throw it out there and see what gets thrown back.)

Has she given you any images of symbols associated with her? Have you an idea of what this female entity might look like? I think these are things that would help you in determining who she is. Also, why does it feel like she's asking you to identify her? That's another key factor in figuring out who or what she is. It may require asking her directly, so that you can proceed with her request.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:12:41 pm by Nic an Dair »

Kirsten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175241
Has she given you any images of symbols associated with her? Have you an idea of what this female entity might look like? I think these are things that would help you in determining who she is. Also, why does it feel like she's asking you to identify her? That's another key factor in figuring out who or what she is. It may require asking her directly, so that you can proceed with her request.

She's young looking, but has that ancient sort of vibe. This sounds weird, but like Galadriel, I suppose, haha. And birds - mostly owls and hawks; that's the only sort of symbolism I think of that I associate with Her. As to why I feel like She's asking...Well, it's very subtle. I just feel like I need to know who She is and She wants me to know, but it's not going to just be handed to me.

Thanks for your input, just talking it out is giving me some perspective and ideas... :-)

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:49 am »
Quote from: Kirsten;175249
She's young looking, but has that ancient sort of vibe. This sounds weird, but like Galadriel, I suppose, haha. And birds - mostly owls and hawks; that's the only sort of symbolism I think of that I associate with Her. As to why I feel like She's asking...Well, it's very subtle. I just feel like I need to know who She is and She wants me to know, but it's not going to just be handed to me.

Thanks for your input, just talking it out is giving me some perspective and ideas... :-)

From what I know of owls, they're connected to Athena. Hawks are associated with Ceridwen from Welsh mythology. Perhaps that might help; however, don't stop at just those two goddesses.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:53:16 am by Nic an Dair »

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:45:01 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175258
From what I know of owls, they're connected to Athena. Hawks are associated with Ceridwen from Welsh mythology. Perhaps that might help; however, don't stop at just those two goddesses.

I just remembered another Welsh mythology figure that is tied to owls: Blodeuwedd. Perhaps one of these ladies is the entity you've been in contact with. Good luck!

Kirsten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;175285
I just remembered another Welsh mythology figure that is tied to owls: Blodeuwedd. Perhaps one of these ladies is the entity you've been in contact with. Good luck!

Ah! Thank you for the information - good place to start! :-)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 12:34:32 am »
Quote from: Kirsten;175294
Ah! Thank you for the information - good place to start! :-)

I could be mistaken, but Freyja is also tied to hawks.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Kirsten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;175298
I could be mistaken, but Freyja is also tied to hawks.

Yes, I had thought of Freyja! I'm not sure yet though. Still not quite sure on how to "get in touch" with anyone, so I've spent a lot of time just thinking and researching.

BTW, HarpingHawke, your blog is super interesting and cool.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:41 pm »
Quote from: Kirsten;175417
Yes, I had thought of Freyja! I'm not sure yet though. Still not quite sure on how to "get in touch" with anyone, so I've spent a lot of time just thinking and researching.

BTW, HarpingHawke, your blog is super interesting and cool.

Research is always a good thing! You can also just start by lighting a candle or leaving an offering and saying hello. It's also worth mentioning (even though you probably already know) that more often than not, people aren't in "direct" contact with the deities they honor. They don't have conversations or receive inspiration or anything of that sort. People talk about that a lot online, but just because it's talked about doesn't mean it's common.

Also, thank you so much!! That you even checked it out in the first place means a lot to me! :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

per-ankh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 09:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Kirsten;175249

At the risk of necroposting, all of what you've mentioned reminds me of Aset  (more commonly known as Isis). She's both very nurturing and kind of scary - many of her known myths involve her protecting her son, Heru (aka Horus), by any means necessary. She's basically been held up as the ideal mother across multiple cultures. Her only known animal association is the kite, and she's often depicted with wings. To top it all off, she's a pretty ancient goddess! She would be my guess for who's been contacting you.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:11:04 pm »
(Regarding Aset)

Quote from: per-ankh;175952
Her only known animal association is the kite,

This is incorrect.  I know off the top of my head that all the Eye goddesses have serpent theophanies, and I'd be surprised by a lack of cow theophany given the bit where she had her head replaced with a cow's and the fact she nicked Hetharu's hat.

A little digging turned up http://fiercelybrightone.com/my-mother/about/sacred-animals/ which is a tidy little list. :}
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

per-ankh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:33:18 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;175995
(Regarding Aset)

This is incorrect.  I know off the top of my head that all the Eye goddesses have serpent theophanies, and I'd be surprised by a lack of cow theophany given the bit where she had her head replaced with a cow's and the fact she nicked Hetharu's hat.

A little digging turned up http://fiercelybrightone.com/my-mother/about/sacred-animals/ which is a tidy little list. :}
I always forget that she's an Eye. I should probably just assume a goddess is until I hear otherwise.  Thanks for the correction!

Tags: