Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Pocket book of shadows  (Read 4869 times)

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Pocket book of shadows
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
i don't know about anyone else but keep a second book of shadows. i keep a second pocket sized version, one that has spells and rituals i can use on the spur of the moment, or in an emergency.

Does anyone else do this?

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket book of shadows
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 05:12:24 pm »
Quote from: Myst Moonlight;175031
i don't know about anyone else but keep a second book of shadows. i keep a second pocket sized version, one that has spells and rituals i can use on the spur of the moment, or in an emergency.

Not me. I don't divulge anything about my book, but what i can say is, I prefer to keep mine consolidated into one. But, I guess it depends on how one uses it. They are so individual that I imagine that would work well for some people.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:13 pm »

I have a ritual book, rather than a book of shadows, but it's small, and designed to be taken with me. It was actually meant to be a second one, for travelling, because all the rituals I normally do have been rewritten so that all I need is water. I never like taking a lot with me when I travel, and I particularly don't want to take incense or matches, and it's small enough to fit into a pocket or a small bag. Which is nice. It means I can do all the rituals I usually do, and all I need is some water, and my book, and that's it. It also makes it very discrete so I'm not leaving shrines and altars all over hotel rooms or guest houses.

It's sort of become my main ritual book, though, but at least I know where the flame and incense are normally used, so I don't need to add those in. I think I will start a second one for occasional rituals and magic, though, because I don't need those clogging up the book I use for my regular rituals. I like to keep those separate. That way, I've still got a record of them, if I ever need them again.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:40 pm »

Sort of? I have three different journals that originally had different purposes (one was a dream diary, an ordinary journal, then a regular BoS), but now they're all kind of interchangeable. It's actually pretty useful, given that my path is centered around connecting everything together. At the very least, I can have access to *something* regardless of which one I decide to bring along for a trip or whatever.

One of these days I'm going to buy a completely new one, though, to condense everything together in a more legible manner. Sort of annoying when I can't remember what spell in is what book.

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »

Mine is small enough to travel, but my kids are with me everywhere and one's a toddler, so I've drifted toward using my phone as one a lot. It for l fits in my pocket, doesn't look unusual at all, and my kids can't tear up the pages. But it's definitely what I'd deem my "digital version".  The physical copy is the more important one...

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:42 am »

I have a small leather bound book that I got years ago, that I use as a travel BOS.  It has a small selection of lots of things I think would be useful when I am away from home (and my regular supplies).

While I don't refer to it as often, I still bring it with me anytime I do extended traveling (more than a couple of days away from home).  It has become a comfort thing, like a piece of my home practice that I can carry with me, especially as my long trips tend to be to visit family, and 2-4 weeks living with family drives me up the wall toward the end.

I have some reference stuff (tables of correspondence that I copied in a long time ago before I could remember it all), some inspirational stuff (poems and quotes that just make me feel good), rituals and chants, symbols, mantras, meditations.  It still has a lot of room left in it, but I am quite picky now of what I add in.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Myst Moonlight

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »
I prefer to keep to paper rather then using any electronic device and the pocket book only has spells that can be used in an emergency.
That means with no tools available. For example if someone needed an ambulence I would use the heailing spells in said book while i was waiting for in to come

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »
Quote from: Myst Moonlight;175163
I prefer to keep to paper rather then using any electronic device and the pocket book only has spells that can be used in an emergency.
That means with no tools available. For example if someone needed an ambulence I would use the heailing spells in said book while i was waiting for in to come

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:58 am »
i keep a second pocket sized version, one that has spells and rituals i can use on the spur of the moment, or in an emergency.

Not so much for spells, but I carry a notebook full of prayers / meditative pieces. It sits in my handbag so that if I'm in a high-stress situation, I can look like I'm reading while I ground & center, etc. Really handy for anxiety. If people ask, I just tell them it's a to-do or reminder list. Not untrue!

tue2day

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:14 pm »

I have a main BoS with detailed rituals, spells, pictures, and everything in it and a digital mini version with mostly chants prayers runes and simple things in it for daily use. It's really handy sometimes. I just keep them on my note pad on my phone or in the BoS section of a wiccan calender app I have.

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 07:26:40 am »

I simply use Evernote. It's pretty customizable, even while free (I haven't subscribed for more memory because honestly I'm not even close to having it "full"). It syncs up on my phone and computer and it's linked through email so I will never lose the info should something happen to my comp/phone.

I've tried keeping multiple journals physically but...idk. I never stick with it. There's something about a blank journal filled with possibilities that gets me excited and then when it's time to write, I can't bring myself to.
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

oumike

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 10:09:48 am »

I like to keep a draft and notes book on me. Often takes the place of my grimoire. Once something has proven effective I'll move into my official less easy to carry with me notebook.

firespitter1218

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:10:15 pm »

Thus far in my life and practice, I have not. The idea has crossed my mind a few times but I have yet to follow through. I don't do all that many set in stone spells or rituals on any kind of consistent basis, so it's probably not all too applicable to me.
Something I am really starting to toy with the idea of is a pocket book set of sigils I've crafted as a sort of reference guide. I draft them all the time, and then forget what some of them look like, so having a small, at the ready, reference guide would help a lot I believe.

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:45:14 am »

Nope. I'd go crazy keeping the two of them in sync.

Besides that, I memorize anything I want to "take with me," and am pretty good at making up ritual on the fly.

I do always take a notebook for writing down observations and ideas, whether magick, story related or otherwise.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:02 pm »

I've been working on my grimoire for years.
It started as my chicken scratch handwriting in various notebooks.
Later I began typing it in Microsoft Word where I can easily add pictures and my own computer generated diagrams.

Eventually I will print it and bind it giving the care that it deserves.

With about 133 pages it's still far from finished.

In the meantime, I save password protected PDFs from it that I keep on my phone.

-Wimsaur

Tags: