Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Dealing with Stress  (Read 3979 times)

HarpingHawke

• View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Dealing with Stress
« on: May 14, 2015, 01:59:00 pm »
Does your practice help you deal with stress?

Do you have any healthy coping methods you want to share?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Dealing with Stress
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:12:50 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;175003

I wish it did. :( Mediation helps some, but the more stressed I am, the less I'm able to usefully meditate.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:30:27 pm »

One trick I learned in therapy (back in my please-don't-eat-the-gun phase) was setting a small daily goal and being sure to attain it.  Could be something as small as sweeping the front steps.  Doesn't matter.  Set a goal and meet it.  Be pleased with your accomplishment.  

Meditation can help, but like Randall I can have difficulty relaxing before relaxing.  So.

Anything else that helps me 'escape' and unplug for a while usually does it.  Something like going for a drive with the music turned up really loud.  Sing, play air guitar while steering (harder than you think) and not care about looking like a dumbass.  Gardening is good.  Reading.  I've also taken up writing.  My daily 'goal' (see above) is banging out 1000 words.  

Home some of this helps.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

dawbeast

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 08:12:12 pm »

Exercise, when I get stressed I just hit the weights or go for a run though the woods for a bit. blows off steam, produces endorphines, the pain takes your mind of whatever the stressor is, works a charm every time for me!

I hope you find peace with whatever is stressing you out,

D

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:44 am »

Considering stress can have many sources, both mental and physical, I generally try to avoid or remove as many stressors as possible -- making sure that I get enough sleep and food, that I'm wearing comfortable shoes, etc. This makes the stressors I can't avoid easier to deal with.

Granted, this does take resources to accomplish -- even if it's only to buy a pretty scarf to cover up a butt-ugly dresser (and yes, visually ugly living space is a stressor, in my book).

I also generally avoid media that depicts stressful situations: horror movies, most reality shows, "gritty" action movies and such.

If I do get to a stressed-out state, my usual cures are a cup of tea, pie, and reading silly fanfiction or watching Let's Plays.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:08 pm »

Not in the short term. My practice helps me take care of myself in the long run and keep things in perspective, but it doesn't solve my problems and it's definitely not a salve for whatever ails. But it will keep me moving forward and keeping aware of the real world around me.

For those stressful moments, I generally an able to counter with a shower, tea, and a feel-good movie or a book.

If the stress is caused by something I can do something about, I'll generally take the time and effort to figure out what exactly is going on and what exactly I can and can't do about it. Just having those solid connections and perspective really helps me wrap my head around a situation and calm my nerves.

And other times I just need to get out of the house and take a walk for an hour.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:37:59 pm »

*hides the bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade*

Yes, my practice greatly helps me deal with stress but sometimes its a bit of a cycle. If I'm all off-center in terms of energy and on top of that stressed, I get even more stressed because I'm off-center... its a fun cycle to break. But my practice is what saved me. It gives me a space to cast off the parts of stress I have no control over. It gives me an outlet, a safe space and ultimately comfort.

I found that I have to write down what is all stressing me. And then prioritize. Right now there's a notebook beside me with a lot of problems written down that I can't worry about because I have a huge midterm exam on Saturday. So right now its midterm first and then when that is over, I will deal with everything else. It's a kind of single-minded track that I have to force myself on to be successful and to cope. And when all else fails, yes, I've been known to drink and study. I do not recommend this, it is NOT a healthy coping method but it comes in handy when everything else fails.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Tags: