collapse

Author Topic: Not Pagan but Pagan Influenced  (Read 1645 times)

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Not Pagan but Pagan Influenced
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »
I have always been drawn towards Paganism and Wicca but, despite my attempts to enter more fully into either one, I seem to end up only with temporary experiences in those directions.  I have had what I would call contacts with deities or spirits, but it's just kind of like meeting people in casual situations that you never meet again.  The only way I know how to be at this point is just to accept the experiences and to try not to force anything.  I guess if any deity wants to smack me on the head they certainly would have done so by now.

Does anyone else here have a similar relationship to these things?  Am I doing the right thing by just letting it be what it is or should I be pursuing something?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:40:56 pm by Jake57 »

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Not Pagan but Pagan Influenced
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »
Quote from: Jake57;174968
I have always been drawn towards Paganism and Wicca but, despite my attempts to enter more fully into either one, I seem to end up only with temporary experiences in those directions.  I have had what I would call contacts with deities or spirits, but it's just kind of like meeting people in casual situations that you never meet again.  The only way I know how to be at this point is just to accept the experiences and to try not to force anything.  I guess if any deity wants to smack me on the head they certainly would have done so by now.

Does anyone else here have a similar relationship to these things?  Am I doing the right thing by just letting it be what it is or should I be pursuing something?

From my understanding, there are many pagans who do not consider connection with deity to be integral to their beliefs. Some are even atheists and use paganism as a type of philosophy, much as Buddhism can go either way.

You should do what feels right for you. If the lack of a divine presence doesn't bother you particularly much, then I'd say don't worry about it and focus on others things about the spirituality that give you fulfillment. However, if you are wanting more of a connection, there are techniques to help deepen or develop one.

But I'll also say that there seems to be way too much emphasis in some pagan communities about finding a patron god/dess or being constantly in touch with their deity of choice (sometimes referred to as having a "god phone")  when it seems that such a close connection to deity is actually fairly rare and overall not that important to have a well-rounded spiritual life. A lot of people venerate a deity that they like by saying prayers or making offerings and leaving it at that.

Personally, I find more connection with the overall reverence of nature and land spirits than a specific deity. I can't say for certain whether the spirits of the land are actually "real", so to speak, as I tend to be a skeptic, but it makes me feel more fulfilled than any other form of spirituality I've tried so I continue doing it.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:27:06 pm »
The only way I know how to be at this point is just to accept the experiences and to try not to force anything.  I guess if any deity wants to smack me on the head they certainly would have done so by now.

That's all you can do. Also, remember most people are never smacked on the head by any deity. Being smacked isn't a requirement to follow a deity or deities.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:56:32 am »
Quote from: RandallS;174982
That's all you can do. Also, remember most people are never smacked on the head by any deity. Being smacked isn't a requirement to follow a deity or deities.

Thanks very much for your replies.  I mention deities because I have had experiences with them.  To make two long stories very short, Astarte told me I was not one of hers, and I have recently made contact with The Morrigan.  I appreciate all your help; we'll see what happens.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:45:17 am »

While I do not yet have any personal relationship with a particular deity, or even follow any structured Pagan path. I believe that I have had contact with other beings. I didn't initiate these contacts I happened to be in the right place at the right time to be of service. I felt a distinct presence and a command to go direction or do something. Twice this happened when I was driving:

First time-- I was a student driver with my dad. He had started an argument while teaching me how to drive in winter conditions (nice, right?). I felt like there was someone in the backseat behind me and kept looking into the mirror expecting to see a person. I hit a patch of ice before a bridge and went into a spin. I heard a voice say, "Hold the wheel straight!" My dad reached to grab the wheel and I blocked his hand. The car went air-born and landed in a frozen creek. Later when it was removed we were informed that if the wheel had turned the car would have flipped and we may not have survived.

Second time-- I am in my early thirties and driving down a country road. I stop at an intersection; if I go right I can make a morning stop at my office, if I go left I put off the office stop for later and go home for my break. I have the feeling that someone is once again behind me, but nothing is there each time I check. I turn right at first to see what happens. I feel as if someone runs their hand through my hair and in my mind I hear: "Go left!" I change direction and drive for home. At a lonely intersection I find a very tired lost dog. I was able to get the dog to her family. A few months later I found a kitten on that same road who is my beloved pet.

Maybe these moments weren't earth shattering events (I've had many more, but I don't want to get into each one). Maybe this was active intuition my mind rewired so that I felt something mysterious. I honestly don't care. I know that if I ever get that feeling again I will comply.

Tags: