collapse

Author Topic: Books on shamanism  (Read 1984 times)

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Books on shamanism
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:39:52 pm »
I seem to have taken an interest in shamanism does anyone know what is the best book to read?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Books on shamanism
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:04:44 pm »
Quote from: Moonstone;174788
I seem to have taken an interest in shamanism does anyone know what is the best book to read?

That will depend on what you mean by 'shamanism' - the word is used in a number of different ways (some of them quite problematic). Tungusic animism? One or another form of Native American spirituality (this is one of the very problematic uses)? Harnerian 'core shamanism'? Neo-shamanistic techniques applied to some or another cultural paganism? Something else? (Our Inclusivity FAQ has a bit more info on the varying uses, and on the problematic issues.)

It will also depend on what kind of interest you have.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:01:02 am »

Like Sunflower said, that's a very broad question. Could you clarify?

If you mean trance-work, I'd recommend Diana Paxson's "Tranceportation" (yes. TRANCEportation.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:01:38 am by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:24:09 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;174820
Like Sunflower said, that's a very broad question. Could you clarify?

If you mean trance-work, I'd recommend Diana Paxson's "Tranceportation" (yes. TRANCEportation.)

Yes i mean trance work, ecstatic experiences etc. Maybe some native american beliefs as well.

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:27 pm »
Quote from: Moonstone;174874
Yes i mean trance work, ecstatic experiences etc. Maybe some native american beliefs as well.

You would probably do better to seek out a Native American group or organization and tell them that you are interested in learning about them. They don't usually give the information to outsiders, but you could talk to them and build a positive rapport with them. I say this because there are many books on "Native American" practices that are not true or watered down.
I talk to plants.

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »

Alright, so this isn't by any means the /best/ book to read; I haven't read enough of it to even promise it's a /good/ book, but "The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft" by Christopher Penczak has been useful in terms of finding bits and pieces I'd like to look into further, as well as a few things that helped me with the physical side of things.

He's too ritual-based for my tastes and doesn't cite much of anything which always makes me a little "ehhh" but as someone who is interested in shamanism across multiple cultures, I don't feel like skimming and cherry picking this book was a waste of time. Probably borrow before you buy, though.

With any luck, I\'ll grow up to be Nanny Ogg.    

ranetree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »

A while back, I picked up The Shaman by Piers Vitebsky off the discount rack at Barnes and Noble. I haven't read too too much of it, but it seems to be an all-around reference book of "this is what 'shaman' means to a bunch of different cultures and how they do the thing". It's got like six pages' worth of bibliographic references, too, which strikes me as pretty solid.

Very easy reading, not too complex or too informal. I should probably read more of it.

Tags: