Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: A woo-y question  (Read 3181 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
A woo-y question
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:18:07 pm »
I've kind of been all over the place the last little while and haven't given any offerings/deeds in forever. It's been at least a year since I've reached out and done anything meaningfully "heathen", at best guess.

A few weeks ago I planted a yellow rose bush by my front door with the intention of dedicating it to Frigga/Freyja (Frigja?). I've had intentions to paint (barely visible) miniature houses at some baseboards for the wights. I've been priming myself, I guess, but not really following through for awhile.

Yesterday however, I finally just went ahead and took a cup of coffee and tobacco out back and gave it in offering along with some silent prayer. It was for Frigja, because I've started to pull away from the intense masculine powers and drift towards the calmer female powers.

Today I took a break from cleaning (it bears mentioning that worth in homemaking is something I've been trying to focus on again and my prayer to Frigja involved this to some extent ), grabbed my phone and saw Google voice had randomly completed a search: æ.

So obviously I'm going to follow that rabbit hole and I click on the first result which is Wikipedia:

Æ (minuscule: æ) is a grapheme named aesc or ash, formed from the letters a and e. Originally a ligature representing a Latin diphthong, it has been promoted to the full status of a letter in the alphabets of some languages, including Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Faroese. As a letter of the Old English Latin alphabet, it was called æsc ("ash tree") after the Anglo-Saxon futhorc rune ᚫ (Runic letter ansuz.svg), which it transliterated; its traditional name in English is still ash /æʃ/. It was also used in Old Swedish before being changed to ä.

That's...a bit of a coincidence right?

In my smoking cessation group we talked about the high rates of instances where people quit smoking and then later wind up getting cancer, and how that weird irony is often used to justifing continuing to smoke. The consensus though is that people generally intuit that their health is in the danger zone and this motivates them to quit,  but that its often too late. Like that,  I definitely think that "signs" are often confirmation of something we already sense deep down. And I know that Google voice gets turned on accidentally and picks up sounds all the time.

But seriously. The day after I give my first offering in a long time and my phone takes me to that?

I have a couple of questions. First, what do reconstructionists think of this type of woo? Would you accept it as something meaningful or as simply coincidence? What do others think of this as a "sign"? Finally, if it is potentially meaningful, what sort of symbolism can be derived from the ash?

Thanks for reading.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: A woo-y question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;174696

I have a couple of questions. First, what do reconstructionists think of this type of woo? Would you accept it as something meaningful or as simply coincidence? What do others think of this as a "sign"? Finally, if it is potentially meaningful, what sort of symbolism can be derived from the ash?

Thanks for reading.

Some clarification.

Its the first meaningful thing I've done that was based on the roots of my older recon-styled worship.

And its also one of the only woo-y things I can think of right now that's happened to me as a heathen, and its not a huge deal, but I am curious.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »
But seriously. The day after I give my first offering in a long time and my phone takes me to that?

Thanks for reading.

Isn't Yggdrasil supposed to be an ash tree? You said you've just started getting back into Heathenry after a long hiatus. I'd honestly think you'd be justified in seeing this as a "good omen" so to speak.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:00:06 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;174699
Isn't Yggdrasil supposed to be an ash tree? You said you've just started getting back into Heathenry after a long hiatus. I'd honestly think you'd be justified in seeing this as a "good omen" so to speak.

It has been a haitus from a more recon path, but I've been experimenting and questioning within heathenry for awhile (see: post-Ragnarok heathenry). Practicing heathenry/deeds were pretty much non-existant though.

The world tree is said to be an ash, but that's such a large thing that I'm not sure how to pin it down to something relevant to me. (Does that make sense?) Also æ can apparently stand for gods/æsir?

I've never really looked into runes and rune meanings but one site today said aesc stands for protection. I'm a glass half empty type most of the time so my first thought with that was that it's a warning. :p

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;174700
It has been a haitus from a more recon path, but I've been experimenting and questioning within heathenry for awhile (see: post-Ragnarok heathenry). Practicing heathenry/deeds were pretty much non-existant though.

The world tree is said to be an ash, but that's such a large thing that I'm not sure how to pin it down to something relevant to me. (Does that make sense?) Also æ can apparently stand for gods/æsir?

I've never really looked into runes and rune meanings but one site today said aesc stands for protection. I'm a glass half empty type most of the time so my first thought with that was that it's a warning. :p

Ah, OK... that makes the Yggdrasil interpretation seem more likely to me, though. From what I remember of the Ragnarok Heathenry thread, you were making a new paradigm - a new framework. And Yggdrasil is literally the framework of Heathen cosmology. I mean, it's the structure all those realms stand on. Perhaps this is a message that you need to stop experimenting, and try to settle down?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

That's...a bit of a coincidence right?

Thanks for reading.

Not recon, but if that is woo, then I fell down the rabbit hole years ago. ;)

I would see it as a sign, yes. It seems very clear, though likely very personal.

I don't know much about Ash symbolism. I read once that it was bad luck to cut one down. And I had thought that Yggdrasil was one, too.

Where I live we have the  a tree that we call the Mountain Ash, one of which is growing in my yard. It turns out, however, the Mountain Ash is actually a Rowan tree. Just trivia, I suppose.

But from a heathen-style perspective I would try to figure out what Yggdrasil meant to me.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »

Thanks for reading.

Embrace the woo. That is all!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:08 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;174711
Embrace the woo. That is all!

:D:

I decided to focus on the æ/ash sign just as it is. And oddly enough it hits a lot of elements of my prayer: ash represents my struggles with the psychological impact of quitting smoking, it represents my confusion of how to build up from the ashes of my life, it hits on my sister's passing (cremated).

And all of that stuff is connected to the overwhelming feeling of regret. :( I realized I quit smoking because I regretted a lot of the choices I had made in life since I started as a rebellious teen, that led to me having barely any relationship with my siblings and parents, and how I've held onto a lot of that petty anger and selfishness to where it affected the circumstances of my present life.  

I've been pretty hard on myself lately.

Then there's the ultimate ash. The Ygdrassil. On "Norse Mythology for Smart People" Ygdrassil is described as the heart of destiny. The past feeds the present and the present changes the past. That the norns carve our starting destiny but we also have the ability to change our course. That there is neither unbreakable fate nor absolute free will but a space in the middle.

I thought about how you can change the past, and how after everything, I've let go of a lot of my reactions and expectations and motivations and how that *has* changed my past. I'm so much closer to my step mom now and look back on our history differently, for example. Present deeds fall like dew in to the well. I don't need regret. Things can change.

Æ was a sign that she heard all of my worries, and that she had an insight for me. All within one symbol.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;174717

Æ was a sign that she heard all of my worries, and that she had an insight for me. All within one symbol.

I guess I would say that this is the first time I felt the truly reciprocal relationship of heathen worship. I gave an offering and within 24 hrs I was provided  with helpful, relevant information. It definitely changes my perspective on offerings now. Its less going through the motions and doing it for the idea of abstract reciprocity and is now... a more realized, actual, dynamic. There's more of a purpose and intent behind it then what was there before. More life.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:48 pm »

Thanks for reading.

I don't believe in coincidence or luck because in my personal cosmology and view of the cosmos I believe there are a lot of things going on, on different levels and planes that intersect and bump into each other. Hey, even Dr. Michio Kaku gave a nod to this.* I think the Gods and spirits have a lot to do with it, as well as the natural flow of órlög and wyrd. I know of one Heathen at another site who would definitely blow it off, sort of like:

Person 1: "Oh look, a raven! Some say it's a sign from Odin."
Person 2: "And others say it's just a bird. Get a grip."

*The way Dr. Kaku explained it I call it "now you see it, now you don't". When all of a sudden someone comes out of nowhere, or something wasn't there a moment ago, or something disappears almost before your eyes, he said that was possibly two (or more) universes intersecting. Now that's woo-y! :yikes:

Tags: