Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The Avengers vs. the Christian Gospel  (Read 3294 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
The Avengers vs. the Christian Gospel
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:50:28 pm »
I stumbled across this today, from a Catholic website:

'The Avengers' and Friedrich Nietzsche

Joss Whedon’s “Avenger” films, the second of which has just appeared, work as a sort of antidote to Tolkien and Lewis, shaping the imaginations of young people so as to receive a distinctly different message than the Christian Gospel.

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/the-avengers-and-friedrich-nietzsche

One immediate problem I see with this contention is that the author pins it on writer-director Whedon and his atheism, when in fact Whedon didn't just make this stuff up, but rather draws from well-established Marvel lore that predates him.

Anyway, discuss.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:51:04 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers vs. the Christian Gospel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
Quote from: Altair;174615

One immediate problem I see with this contention is that the author pins it on writer-director Whedon and his atheism, when in fact Whedon didn't just make this stuff up, but rather draws from well-established Marvel lore that predates him.

Part of me is curious what these people would say if he tried to revive Buffy...

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:58 pm »
Quote from: Altair;174615
Anyway, discuss.

It's a boringly obvious interpretation, since Übermensch is usally translated Superman, and Nietzsche's ideas have been associated with comic book heroes, to a greater or lesser extent, for a long time. It's really difficult to follow the writer's logic all the way to the anti-Christian assumptions though. Doesn't hold up logically or theologically. Dull.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:05:11 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;174622
It's a boringly obvious interpretation, since Übermensch is usally translated Superman, and Nietzsche's ideas have been associated with comic book heroes, to a greater or lesser extent, for a long time.

Agreed.

It's really difficult to follow the writer's logic all the way to the anti-Christian assumptions though. Doesn't hold up logically or theologically. Dull.

I have trouble seeing these ideas as "anti-Christian" the way F. Barron does. I certainly don't see them as Christian ideas, but I think the story is non-Christian rather than anti-Christian. To be honest, however, I've never seen LOTR as particularly Christian -- unlike Lewis I've never had the impression that Tolkien was deliberately writing Christian literature as Lewis was. While one can see Gandalf as a Jesus the prophet figure if one wishes, I don't think he was written to be Jesus under another name as Aslan was.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174623

I have trouble seeing these ideas as "anti-Christian" the way F. Barron does. I certainly don't see them as Christian ideas, but I think the story is non-Christian rather than anti-Christian. To be honest, however, I've never seen LOTR as particularly Christian -- unlike Lewis I've never had the impression that Tolkien was deliberately writing Christian literature as Lewis was. While one can see Gandalf as a Jesus the prophet figure if one wishes, I don't think he was written to be Jesus under another name as Aslan was.

Didn't Tolkien once say that he hated allegory?  IIRC, he and Lewis almost had a falling out over it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 04:11:47 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;174620
Part of me is curious what these people would say if he tried to revive Buffy...

Okay, I'm way out of my depth in a discussion involving philosophy by this always catches me:

What the Christian evangelist can seize upon in this film is the frank assertion that the will to power—even backed up by stunningly sophisticated technology—never finally solves our difficulties, that it, in point of fact, makes things worse. ... And this admission teases the mind to consider the possibility that the human predicament can be addressed finally only through the invasion of grace. Once that door is opened, the Gospel can be proclaimed.

The presupposition that humanity or individuals needs to be saved, whether it be from itself as evil/sinful-by-nature beings or from outside sources such as the Christian Satan. It just bothers me so much. I have never felt a need to be saved from anything in the manner that is implied by Christian grace and the implication that all of humanity needs it is something I have a hard time understanding and dealing with.

I think, if you take out this presupposition, his thesis breaks down.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »
Agreed.

Mind you, there are some good theological interpretations of secular stories. I've just been listening to a progressive Christian podcast that was considering Daredevil from a theological perspective. Interesting ideas, even if I wouldn't think about these stories in quite the same way. The concept of the Sacred Story, be it ancient or modern, is motivating a lot of my spirituality at the moment.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:31 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;174626

The concept of the Sacred Story, be it ancient or modern, is motivating a lot of my spirituality at the moment.

Right there with you on that.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 12:31:54 pm »
To be honest, however, I've never seen LOTR as particularly Christian -- unlike Lewis I've never had the impression that Tolkien was deliberately writing Christian literature as Lewis was. While one can see Gandalf as a Jesus the prophet figure if one wishes, I don't think he was written to be Jesus under another name as Aslan was.

My understanding of one of the things that he was doing was writing a mythic history of time before Christ in such a way that the pre-Christian polytheistic cultures could be, though not correct in their theologies, not wrong.  More thought experiment than didactic lesson.

(Gandalf can't be a prophet/saviour, he's an angel.  Frodo's a better Christ analogue if one must break the frame.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 06:16:51 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;174745
My understanding of one of the things that he was doing was writing a mythic history of time before Christ in such a way that the pre-Christian polytheistic cultures could be, though not correct in their theologies, not wrong.

Oh boy, that would set off the fundamentalists in all forms of Christianity. Or maybe it wouldn't -- at least for the Fundies -- as for many fundies the idea that not correct could also be not wrong probably not a concept they'd easily grasp.

(Gandalf can't be a prophet/saviour, he's an angel.  Frodo's a better Christ analogue if one must break the frame.)

Good point.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:41:45 pm »
Agreed.

Agreed on Tolkien - I always giggle to myself when I see assertions such as the one in this article, because Tolkien is who lead me to Paganism.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Tags: