Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Understanding a card  (Read 1670 times)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Understanding a card
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »
I had an odd experience a few nights ago and I can't get it sorted out. As I awoke ( I'm prone to hypnagogic and hypnopompic visions,) an image of a tarot card appeared in my mind and I got this feeling of, "Well, does this confirm it for you?"

I went and dug out my Rider-Waite tarot deck and discovered that the card was The Magician. I don't use tarot for divination and my pendulum work gets confused when I get confused, so I don't know what this means. There are tons of sites out there dedicated to tarot but I don't know which ones are best.

I don't know what The Magician card means. Can anyone help me with this? If there needs to be more explanation about my situation first, just let me know.

Thanks!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Understanding a card
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:27:24 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;174584
There are tons of sites out there dedicated to tarot but I don't know which ones are best.

I don't know what The Magician card means. Can anyone help me with this? If there needs to be more explanation about my situation first, just let me know.

Thanks!

Here's the page for that card on Joan Bunning's 'Learn Tarot' site, which is a fairly reliable one.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174587
Here's the page for that card on Joan Bunning's 'Learn Tarot' site, which is a fairly reliable one.

Sunflower

Thanks so much! It's nicely helpful.

On an ever so slight tangent, does anyone know of any connection of Odin or Loki to this card?

Queen of Swords

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:42:18 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;174588

On an ever so slight tangent, does anyone know of any connection of Odin or Loki to this card?

Hmm, interesting question. I know that some people connect Odin with The Hanged Man. Given what I know about Loki (from mythology), I think he definitely COULD be associated with The Magician, particularly in the Marseilles tradition.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:49 am »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;174588

The Magician may be my favourite card out of all of em.

And yes, there could indeed be a connection to either of those gods! Let me babble at you about why I think that is!

So, the Magician at heart embodies the application of Will upon the world - the very idea of magic. His hand gestures echo the old axiom 'as above so below' and he clearly has all the traditional tools associated with the elements and all that. So, in a broad sense, the Magician could stand for any god of magic, really.

The Magician has at times also been considered a trickster figure, a charlatan who uses misdirection and sleight of hand. That too fits old One-Eye and the Lie-Smith, no?

Obviously this is all a matter of interpretation, but if you were specifically asking for a sign, well. Could be.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:12 am »
Quote from: Queen of Swords;174591
Hmm, interesting question. I know that some people connect Odin with The Hanged Man. Given what I know about Loki (from mythology), I think he definitely COULD be associated with The Magician, particularly in the Marseilles tradition.

Cool and interesting. I'll have to look up pics of the Marseilles card to see what impressions I can get from it. :)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:33 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;174592
The Magician may be my favourite card out of all of em.

And yes, there could indeed be a connection to either of those gods! Let me babble at you about why I think that is!

So, the Magician at heart embodies the application of Will upon the world - the very idea of magic. His hand gestures echo the old axiom 'as above so below' and he clearly has all the traditional tools associated with the elements and all that. So, in a broad sense, the Magician could stand for any god of magic, really.

The Magician has at times also been considered a trickster figure, a charlatan who uses misdirection and sleight of hand. That too fits old One-Eye and the Lie-Smith, no?

Obviously this is all a matter of interpretation, but if you were specifically asking for a sign, well. Could be.

Thanks for all the information. I've been really worrying about this, because frankly, Loki frightens me and Odin terrifies me. Particularly as a pair. I was thinking I was finally ready to answer Odin and when I did I got Loki. Not instead. As well. And now I don't know what to do. I'm kinda scared and very apprehensive.

The card was the confirmation that I needed, I suppose. Particularly because I had not only to work to figure it out, but because there was so much meaning behind it and a couple of really weird coincidences involved. (Not only that but I just spent the whole day walking around muttering "As above, so below." Then you quote it to me as well. Lol.)

Thank you very much for babbling at me. Much appreciated. And if you can think of more that might be relevant or interesting then feel free to babble more!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;174594
Cool and interesting. I'll have to look up pics of the Marseilles card to see what impressions I can get from it. :)

Here is a site that compares several Marseilles-style decks.

(I'll note that 'impressions from the picture' is a fairly modern reading approach, and doesn't generally apply well to pre-Rider-Waite-Smith decks. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do so in this case - this seems like an occasion where it could well be useful! - but it's worth keeping in mind that Marseilles-style wasn't designed for that approach, so it's likely to have differences for you, compared to applying it to more modern decks.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174640
Here is a site that compares several Marseilles-style decks.

(I'll note that 'impressions from the picture' is a fairly modern reading approach, and doesn't generally apply well to pre-Rider-Waite-Smith decks. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do so in this case - this seems like an occasion where it could well be useful! - but it's worth keeping in mind that Marseilles-style wasn't designed for that approach, so it's likely to have differences for you, compared to applying it to more modern decks.)

Sunflower

Thank you, Sunflower! I don't know enough about tarot in any form do do anything other than get impressions from the image. I was just curious as to what kind of difference there would be in comparison to the Rider-Waite from my vision and the Marseilles imagery. Because I'm not sure why that vision was given to me and why tarot was used to begin with. It made me feel a bit foolish to have to hunt through a bunch of unfamiliar cards and then try to find out what it meant.

Very interesting, though!

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 01:19:44 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;174646
Thank you, Sunflower! I don't know enough about tarot in any form do do anything other than get impressions from the image. I was just curious as to what kind of difference there would be in comparison to the Rider-Waite from my vision and the Marseilles imagery. Because I'm not sure why that vision was given to me and why tarot was used to begin with. It made me feel a bit foolish to have to hunt through a bunch of unfamiliar cards and then try to find out what it meant.

Very interesting, though!

An excellent reference book is called The Rabbi's Tarot.  Not sure if it's still in print or not.  Very good with individual major arcana.

Tags: