Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Deck Recommendations  (Read 1993 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Deck Recommendations
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:06 pm »
I feel like there was a different section for this or something (other than the book suggestions; maybe a mega thread), but I'm not seeing it so hopefully I'm not looking in the wrong place. I know I enjoyed the bad decks thread.

I'm looking for a tarot deck. I've got no money, so I've got plenty of time to pick it.

What I'm looking for
- Preferably tarot (vs oracle or other)
- Assuming tarot, preferably the symbolism similar to Rider-Waite (I'm pretty sure they're not the only one who uses it)- eg the moon with dog/wolf/crayfish/moon, three of cups with clinking, stength with a lion, etc. I just really like this set up and I'm fairly familiar with it. (really, I greatly greatly prefer it, but I will take other examples especially if justified in not using this)
- Decent art (see below)
- On card stock (see below)

Particular benefits
- Non-mass produced (I see a lot of nice decks on kickstarter, actually- the ones that go into production must have websites or be available through someone's), if only because I like the extra options and I think there are more with art that speaks to me (vs the wood-block-ish traditional or weird computer generated) (on the other hand, mass produced=easy to get, so I mean, go for it if you know good ones)
- As such, if they're on etsy or whatever, not printed on printer paper and not download and print yourself (because the first one isn't handleable and the second I'll screw up)
- Smallish in size (like playing cards, not like mini tarot), because I have small hands and struggle with larger cards (I've had two sets that were like, 4"x6"; eek), but like indie decks, not super important as long as they're not unusable

Don't want
- Bad art (subjective, I know. I mean bad photoshopping, that sort of thing)
- Boring art (eg, non-face cards are like playing cards)
- Not available in/doesn't ship to Canada
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:24:08 pm by Scales »

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
Quote from: Scales;174471
I feel like there was a different section for this or something (other than the book suggestions; maybe a mega thread), but I'm not seeing it so hopefully I'm not looking in the wrong place. I know I enjoyed the bad decks thread.

From what little I know of you, I think you'd like The Dragon Tarot. It's not an indie deck, but it's not extremely common, either.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;174472
From what little I know of you, I think you'd like The Dragon Tarot. It's not an indie deck, but it's not extremely common, either.

Incredibly unfairly, I had a dragon tarot at some point, but not this one (it fell into the 'all cards but face cards are the same like playing cards, and also most of the face cards are the same' camp). Neat!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »
Quote from: Scales;174474
Incredibly unfairly, I had a dragon tarot at some point, but not this one (it fell into the 'all cards but face cards are the same like playing cards, and also most of the face cards are the same' camp). Neat!

These are the first two that came to mind. Although I tend to use Oracles now, so other than this all I can say is I recommend you peruse aeclectic.net to see if you can find one you like the look of. :)

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/revelations/

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gilded/

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:20 pm »
Quote from: Scales;174474

Oooh! Ooh! I know one you'd like!!! The Illuminated Tarot: It's a hand-painted Rider Waite deck self published by the artist.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ciaofornow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:55:40 pm »
Quote from: Scales;174471

I'm looking for a tarot deck. I've got no money, so I've got plenty of time to pick it.

Don't want
- Bad art (subjective, I know. I mean bad photoshopping, that sort of thing)
- Boring art (eg, non-face cards are like playing cards)
- Not available in/doesn't ship to Canada

I am amazed by the Ghetto Tarot by photographer Alice Smeets. She says:
" The Ghetto Tarot is a photographic interpretation of the traditional tarot deck in the ghetto. The scenes are inspired by the Rider Waite Tarot deck (originally designed in 1919 by artist Pamela Colman Smith) and are replicated together with a group of Haitian artists called Atis Rezistans (resistant artists) in the Haitian slums using only material we were able to find or create locally. On several cards we used the artists art, that includes symbolism from the Voodoo religion to embody the important meaning of the cards original symbols."

There have been some complaints about the name and the photographer talks about the name at the link I'm posting for the cards on Indiegogo (below). I'm not going to comment on that but the photography is amazing, they aren't mass=produced - in fact they aren't actually available yet I don't think but will be soon hopefully.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ghetto-tarot

I'm sorry I don't know the size the cards will be or if they will ship to Canada.

ciaofornow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:00:48 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;174497
Oooh! Ooh! I know one you'd like!!! The Illuminated Tarot: It's a hand-painted Rider Waite deck self published by the artist.

Both the Illuminated and also The Gilded (previous poster) look gorgeous!

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 07:56:49 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174478

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gilded/

+1 for the Gilded. I've used it for years - rich symbolism, great art, easy to handle.

Tags: