Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Books: Holly Black - Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside  (Read 3506 times)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Holly Black - Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:17:48 pm »
This has been my guilty little indulgence recently, reading YA books written with Faery lore in mind. Seelie and Unseelie courts, trolls, redcaps, pixies, selkies, murders, drug use, and all aimed toward a young adult reading level (which is good for me after long days).

I wonder if anyone else here is a fan of these books. Or, if you're into YA fiction with an otherworldly bend, these ones may be worth taking a look at. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:20:35 am by RandallS »

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Holly Black - Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 01:39:58 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174458
This has been my guilty little indulgence recently, reading YA books written with Faery lore in mind. Seelie and Unseelie courts, trolls, redcaps, pixies, selkies, murders, drug use, and all aimed toward a young adult reading level (which is good for me after long days).

I wonder if anyone else here is a fan of these books. Or, if you're into YA fiction with an otherworldly bend, these ones may be worth taking a look at. :)

I read the first one, Tithe, and really liked it. Been meaning to get to the others, but haven't yet gotten around to it. What did you think of the rest of the series?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:01:06 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation! This is definitely up my alley. The last I picked up were Seanan McGuire's October Daye series (which I was astonishingly lukewarm about, even though they were entertaining) maybe more New Adult than Young Adult, and Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series which are more outright children's books than YA but it works.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;182848
Thanks for the recommendation! This is definitely up my alley. The last I picked up were Seanan McGuire's October Daye series (which I was astonishingly lukewarm about, even though they were entertaining) maybe more New Adult than Young Adult, and Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series which are more outright children's books than YA but it works.

Faemon, I adore Valente's Fairyland series - the way she writes about food, oh. my. goddess. But, well I am a food writer and a foodie. I also just read Malinda Lo's Ash over the holiday. It's a spin on Cinderella, it's got fairies and it's queer, and it was everything I needed this break!

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:53:56 am »

Honestly, I found this book at the library and didn't like it at all. It felt to me that Black was trying to be too gritty with her book.  I especially didn't warm up the protagonist or her love interest at all.

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »
Quote from: Gigi Kiersten;183018
Honestly, I found this book at the library and didn't like it at all. It felt to me that Black was trying to be too gritty with her book.  I especially didn't warm up the protagonist or her love interest at all.

I actually liked the gritty element to me - this sort of the magical existing in not just pretty meadows or beautiful cities. I think it was a bit heavy handed, but I guess I expect that from a YA novel? As for the character, I have a thing for unlikable female protags! I felt she was a distinct character and not a Mary Sue, but I did feel like at times her best friend - it felt like the best gay guy friend to the straight girl and that grates me.

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

I *adored* the Spiderwick Chronicles, so I've been meaning to check out these books and Holly Black's other works for a while now. Seems like every time I try the local library, though, they're checked out or at one of the other branches. Bah.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;183026
I actually liked the gritty element to me - this sort of the magical existing in not just pretty meadows or beautiful cities. I think it was a bit heavy handed, but I guess I expect that from a YA novel? As for the character, I have a thing for unlikable female protags! I felt she was a distinct character and not a Mary Sue, but I did feel like at times her best friend - it felt like the best gay guy friend to the straight girl and that grates me.

Gritty can be done well, but it felt to me that Black was just trying too hard to be gritty.  Honestly, I felt the gay character was there just to be gay as well.  The protagonist wasn't a mary sue, but I found a lot of her actions in the book to be too stupid to be relatable.

Tags: