"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: Game of Thrones  (Read 4548 times)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
Is anyone else semi-addicted to this show and/or books? It's a phenomenon in my workplace, 90% of the staff watches every new episode the day it airs and has either read, or is reading, the books.

I've already read all the novels that have been released (barring the Dothraki language book and the Encyclopedia of Ice and Fire).

Any other fans floating about?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:34:10 pm by RandallS »

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:34:58 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174457
Is anyone else semi-addicted to this show and/or books? It's a phenomenon in my workplace, 90% of the staff watches every new episode the day it airs and has either read, or is reading, the books.

I've already read all the novels that have been released (barring the Dothraki language book and the Encyclopedia of Ice and Fire).

I have loved that show since it premiered. I thought it would be just some fantasy thing, (which i love anyway) but the gritty intrigue of it is captivating. I've read the books too, but it's been a while and i'm getting sick of waiting for the last one to get here already! lol
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:36:22 pm »

*waves*  I've read through the series twice (about to start a re-read), watch the show/have the dvds, amcurrently reading The World of Ice and Fire, and also play Game of Thrones Ascent.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;174460
*waves*  I've read through the series twice (about to start a re-read), watch the show/have the dvds, amcurrently reading The World of Ice and Fire, and also play Game of Thrones Ascent.

At least I hear that Martin said he'll be releasing the 6th book before Season 6 comes out, so we won't have to get spoilers from the show. ^^

I watched all 4 seasons over a weekend in a run-up to the 5th season premier... because I needed to.. >.> haha

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174461
At least I hear that Martin said he'll be releasing the 6th book before Season 6 comes out, so we won't have to get spoilers from the show. ^^

I watched all 4 seasons over a weekend in a run-up to the 5th season premier... because I needed to.. >.> haha

AHHH!  I hadn't heard that there was a somewhat definitive (as far as GRRM goes) date for TWoW!!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;174465
AHHH!  I hadn't heard that there was a somewhat definitive (as far as GRRM goes) date for TWoW!!

Yep, I'll believe it when I see that book out on shelves. But until then, that's what he's trying to stick to.

A friend of mine and I are extremely fussed that he's been writing YA books instead of finishing up GoT... But I guess writers need a break from big projects too...

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174461

*Waves* GOT fan here!

I'm glad to hear that! I've been avoiding the show, and I was really worried that I'd get spoilers of book six when season six came out. :P (A really silly thing to be worried about, as *technically* I could just watch the show- I just don't want to. For reasons.)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:09:09 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;174473
*Waves* GOT fan here!

I'm glad to hear that! I've been avoiding the show, and I was really worried that I'd get spoilers of book six when season six came out. :P (A really silly thing to be worried about, as *technically* I could just watch the show- I just don't want to. For reasons.)

Yes, for reasons. *sagenod*

Book 5 left off on the worst cliff-hanger ever. It's just.. cruel.

I'm also not a big fan of how they switched out the actor for Dario Nahaaris (sp?). He looked (and fit in) better before. But oh well.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:09:43 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174476
Yes, for reasons. *sagenod*

Book 5 left off on the worst cliff-hanger ever. It's just.. cruel.

I'm also not a big fan of how they switched out the actor for Dario Nahaaris (sp?). He looked (and fit in) better before. But oh well.

Also, your username is familiar but I can't quite place from where... I'll have to ponder. ^^

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:18:17 am »
Quote from: Ian288;174473
*Waves* GOT fan here!

You won't, regardless. They say they're taking the show in a different direction post season-five. Not sure why, but the books and show will split continuities.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »

OK, I have to be the bad guy.

I read the first book before the series began; I enjoyed it well enough but didn't feel compelled to read the rest.

I embarked on the TV show anyway, usually binge watching it once the DVDs come out (since I don't have HBO). I enjoy it well enough, but by the end of the last season and now the start of this one (I have the free trial of HBO NOW, so I'm seeing the latest in real time), I've been feeling...

...a little LOST.

And I don't mean "lost" as in I can't follow it, but LOST as in that infamous TV mindfuck that hooked viewers like me on its mysteries that, it turned out, they hadn't thought through and had absolutely no intention of delivering on.

And that has me worried.

Too many plotlines going in too many disparate directions for too long, all of it seemingly going nowhere. Characters introduced who seem to be major players, only to have their eyes gouged out and heads squashed a little while later (shades of LOST's Mr. Echo). What's the point of all this?

A good indicator of the show's increasingly tenuous credibility on delivering on what it promises: the White Walkers. How many seasons ago was the finale a shot of massive numbers of them heading for the Wall? Um...what happened with that? I guess they walk really slooooooowly. Feh.

So the last time they showed a White Walker, I burst out laughing, because it was supposed to be ever-so-scary, but after that epic failure to deliver, they just aren't a credible threat anymore.

I haven't given up on the show. I still enjoy it to an extent. But my patience wears thin.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »
Quote from: Altair;174492
I embarked on the TV show anyway, usually binge watching it once the DVDs come out (since I don't have HBO). I enjoy it well enough, but by the end of the last season and now the start of this one (I have the free trial of HBO NOW, so I'm seeing the latest in real time), I've been feeling...

...a little LOST.

My husband is kind of in the same boat. Read the first book, hasn't had time to read the rest yet and has been asking me to fill in some of the weird blanks with some of the plots that are going on in the show that they elaborate more on in the book but seem to assume that watchers have already read the books. He just feels, as you say, lost.

And it's true, there is so much going on throughout the story that isn't, or is barely, being touched upon in the show that it just leaves some plots half-explained or partially started or simply jump ahead and fail to explain the reasoning for that scene.

I will say that it took me a LONG time to work through the first book, the last 4 went much faster. They were just written more smoothly, easier to read (but still ponderous, and still a lot of wtf character introductions and deaths). So if you have a mind to, and have the time to spare, maybe reading the books and re-watching the previous seasons will help.

If you have a mind to, that is. :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:10:05 pm by Laveth »

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 12:01:28 am »
Quote from: Altair;174492
OK, I have to be the bad guy.

I read the first book before the series began; I enjoyed it well enough but didn't feel compelled to read the rest.

...a little LOST.

And I don't mean "lost" as in I can't follow it, but LOST as in that infamous TV mindfuck that hooked viewers like me on its mysteries that, it turned out, they hadn't thought through and had absolutely no intention of delivering on.

And that has me worried.

Too many plotlines going in too many disparate directions for too long, all of it seemingly going nowhere. Characters introduced who seem to be major players, only to have their eyes gouged out and heads squashed a little while later (shades of LOST's Mr. Echo). What's the point of all this?

A good indicator of the show's increasingly tenuous credibility on delivering on what it promises: the White Walkers. How many seasons ago was the finale a shot of massive numbers of them heading for the Wall? Um...what happened with that? I guess they walk really slooooooowly. Feh.

So the last time they showed a White Walker, I burst out laughing, because it was supposed to be ever-so-scary, but after that epic failure to deliver, they just aren't a credible threat anymore.

I haven't given up on the show. I still enjoy it to an extent. But my patience wears thin.

I haven't seen the show, but I've noticed this in the books. Sometimes, it seems like George R. R. Martin is more desperate to shock and surprise his readers with unexpected events than he is to develop a meaningful story arc. A lot of the time it feels like a bad soap opera- there's a lot happening, but no real meaning in the movement, if that makes any sense.

Of course, my final verdict is pending. I'll need to see whether he ties up the plot neatly in the last book before I cast a final judgment. Still, the fact that it's hard to see a plot now that I'm five books in bugs me from time to time.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:04:42 am by Lana288 »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;174494
My husband is kind of in the same boat. Read the first book, hasn't had time to read the rest yet and has been asking me to fill in some of the weird blanks with some of the plots that are going on in the show that they elaborate more on in the book but seem to assume that watchers have already read the books. He just feels, as you say, lost.

And it's true, there is so much going on throughout the story that isn't, or is barely, being touched upon in the show that it just leaves some plots half-explained or partially started or simply jump ahead and fail to explain the reasoning for that scene.

I will say that it took me a LONG time to work through the first book, the last 4 went much faster. They were just written more smoothly, easier to read (but still ponderous, and still a lot of wtf character introductions and deaths). So if you have a mind to, and have the time to spare, maybe reading the books and re-watching the previous seasons will help.

If you have a mind to, that is. :)

I'm not sure more depth on what's going on (as the books no doubt offer) would help.

I can follow what's happening; I'm just not convinced anymore it's going anywhere.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;174529
I haven't seen the show, but I've noticed this in the books. Sometimes, it seems like George R. R. Martin is more desperate to shock and surprise his readers with unexpected events than he is to develop a meaningful story arc. A lot of the time it feels like a bad soap opera- there's a lot happening, but no real meaning in the movement, if that makes any sense.

TOTAL sense to me. Having only read the first book, I know it primarily through the show, and I feel exactly the same way.

Of course, my final verdict is pending. I'll need to see whether he ties up the plot neatly in the last book before I cast a final judgment. Still, the fact that it's hard to see a plot now that I'm five books in bugs me from time to time.

Yup. This.

Tags: