Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Past Lives  (Read 3484 times)

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh BrĂ­d
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Past Lives
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »
How would a Gaelic polytheist go about learning of their past lives? Granted, I know that the concept of reincarnation is not mentioned that much in anything relating to the Celtic Isles (that I can find) but I have always been interested in learning about who I once was. Any tips?

I talk to plants.

Triskell

• View Profile
Re: Past Lives
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:43:58 am »
Quote from: Gaudior;174428
How would a Gaelic polytheist go about learning of their past lives? Granted, I know that the concept of reincarnation is not mentioned that much in anything relating to the Celtic Isles (that I can find) but I have always been interested in learning about who I once was. Any tips?

Guided past-life regression videos on youtube seem to help. At least it worked for me after many many tries, and a few years of meditation (on and off, I've never successfully managed to make it a habit).
Knowing who I was/might have been in a past life has always been constant in my mind because my father often talks about his experiences, and it was quite troubling.

For him it always happened in sort of a "flash/vision". One when he was 5, he was so shocked that he screamed because he didn't understand what was happening. And it was very brief, really just a flash of him in 17th c. peasant shoes, running for his life with a young woman, both of them being chased by angry people. He has had no proof or clues about this vision, because as I said, he was very young and didn't understand what was happening at first, and it was very short. But he does remember of very well still.

The second one is more troubling: he had a first vision of this second past-life when he was 14, and he stills remembered the setting of the vision. Then about 25 years later, (I was with him) he recognised the place although more vegetation had grown and there was a new fence (it was just near a war cemetery). Anyway, he had another glimpse of this past life for the second time, on the actual place, when we went there. He recognised it very well and then saw himself as the same man he had had a vision of when he was 14. But apart from knowing that he felt like a very tired man, who had lost many of those he loved, my father has no more clues about this man or who he was in life.

As for me, as I said, after many failed attempts, it worked with a past-life regression mediation. I am still rather  puzzled about it, because sometimes I think I have completely imagined all of it, especially when I read some comments under the youtube video, but then I think of the real feelings that I felt when doing this, and I still can't really shake them off.
To be concise, according to this vision, I was a monk (don't know where but in a monastery/abbey near the sea and where it was bloody cold), I didn't like my life as a monk, I was always very sad and nostalgic for the life I could have had, I didn't even feel particularly very pious, and I wished I could draw pictures like the ones in the Book of Kells, but my task was only to do the writings. We lived in a constant state of fear because of all the rumours of monasteries being attacked and burned. One day it happened to us, with total chaos, and I got knocked to the head by something heavy.

During this "experience", I felt so so cold, and very scared and lost, and in the whole  I had many many thoughts that didn't belong to me at that moment, because I was safe in my house. So those feelings were rather alien to me.

Of course, at first I wanted to find more about it, to check for proof, to even try to "go back" and know the language that was spoken, or more about the place, but it didn't work, so I know nothing more. Next step for me to "validate" this was by connecting the dots between some things that keep happening to me (I am a magnet to deeply Christian people) and maybe it happens to many children, but when I was younger I often imagined myself as a monk (and I'm a girl, so I should have imagined myself as a nun, logically? And why a monk among all things? Why not an astronaut or a ballerina? Especially since I am one of the only member of my family that loathed religion).
Also, maybe it's nuts, but if I was really a monk, who's to say I wasn't from Ireland or Scotland, as I "knew" about the Book of Kells. Which could explain my strong pull towards those countries and their civilisations, and this for as long as I can remember (3 years old, ah!).

So all this to say that I know flash-visions happen, going to a certain place triggers some memories, or after many hours of practice, guided-meditation/past-life regressions could help.
One thing that really gives a good clue is that you don't know what you look like, you really "feel" like you are in the shoes of that person, and even see those shoes.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and good luck to you! Remember to be very patient. I know people who have tried for a very very long time and got no results at all...

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:09:17 am »
Quote from: Gaudior;174428

There's this Welsh reincarnation thingummy:http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ffcc/ffcc270.htm

From the site:

'My father said there used to be expressed in Cardiganshire before his time, a belief in re-birth. This was in accord with Druidism, namely, that all human beings formerly existed on the moon, the world of middle light, and the queen of heaven; that those who there lived a righteous life were thence born on the sun, and thence onward to the highest heaven; and that those whose moon life had been unrighteous were born on this earth of suffering and sin. Through right-living on earth souls are able to return to the moon, and then evolve to the sun and highest heaven; or, through wrong. living on earth, souls are born in the third condition, which is one of utter darkness and of still greater suffering and sin than our world offers. But even from this lowest condition souls can work upwards to the highest glory if they strive successfully against evil. The Goddess of Heaven or Mother of all human beings was known as Brenhines-y-nef. I am unable to tell if she is the moon itself or lived in the moon. On the other hand, the sun was considered the father of all human beings. According to the old belief, every new moon brings the souls who were unfit to be born on the sun, to deposit them here on our earth. Sometimes there are more souls seeking embodiment on earth than there are infant bodies to contain them. Hence souls fight among themselves to occupy a body. Occasionally one soul tries to drive out from a body the soul already in possession of it, in order to possess it for itself. In consequence of such struggling of soul against soul, men in this world manifest-madness and tear themselves. Whenever such a condition showed itself, the person exhibiting it was called a Lloerig or "one who is moon-torn"--Lloer meaning moon, and rhigo to notch or tear; and in the English word lunatic, meaning "moon-struck", we have a similar idea.'

(Footnote) The reader is referred to the Rev. T. M. Morgan's latest publication, The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Newchurch, Carmarthenshire, Carmarthen, 1910), pp. 155-6.

There's more in the chapter that I linked, but I thought that was the most elaborate and interesting.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:10 am »
Quote from: Faemon;174507
There's this Welsh reincarnation thingummy:http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ffcc/ffcc270.htm

From the site:

There's more in the chapter that I linked, but I thought that was the most elaborate and interesting.

The Rev. Morgan was part of the Welsh Celtic revival and, by all accounts, made a lot of stuff up. I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in his ideas.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: