Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Welsh or Crymric Gods?  (Read 5499 times)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Welsh or Crymric Gods?
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:07:44 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else honored Welsh Gods? I'm very much into Welsh Mythology and my Celtic practice is predominantly Welsh.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Welsh or Crymric Gods?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;174274
I was wondering if anyone else honored Welsh Gods? I'm very much into Welsh Mythology and my Celtic practice is predominantly Welsh.

Yes, some of them, though my practice is eclectic religious witchcraft rather than culture-specific/historic. My personal pantheon clusters around a few interrelated themes (life/death cycles, magic, tricksters, a couple other things), rather than being that of any particular culture, but does include some Welsh deities: Rhiannon, Manawyddan, Gwyn ap Nudd, and Cerridwen (though the latter might not count for the purpose of this thread, since her role and my sense of her derive quite a lot more from general neoPagan conceptions than from her mythology). There's also one bit of my practice that Pwyll and Arawn have a role in, but I don't work with them in any other context.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 03:17:21 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174275
Yes, some of them, though my practice is eclectic religious witchcraft rather than culture-specific/historic. My personal pantheon clusters around a few interrelated themes (life/death cycles, magic, tricksters, a couple other things), rather than being that of any particular culture, but does include some Welsh deities: Rhiannon, Manawyddan, Gwyn ap Nudd, and Cerridwen (though the latter might not count for the purpose of this thread, since her role and my sense of her derive quite a lot more from general neoPagan conceptions than from her mythology). There's also one bit of my practice that Pwyll and Arawn have a role in, but I don't work with them in any other context.

Sunflower
Thanks for you're insight! What made you feel drawn to these Welsh Deities, if I may ask?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:11:01 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;174288
Thanks for you're insight! What made you feel drawn to these Welsh Deities, if I may ask?

My affinity with Rhiannon and Manawyddan is initially all Evangeline Walton's fault:) - I still highly recommend her fantasy-fiction retellings of the Four Branches as a way to get a sense of the mythological figures as people. Pwyll and Arawn's involvement in that one bit of practice was at Rhiannon's suggestion.

Gwyn ap Nudd poked his nose in a while back in context of some of my Work involving stuff that's in his wheelhouse.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:56:44 pm »

Yes - almost exclusively

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:44 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174292
My affinity with Rhiannon and Manawyddan is initially all Evangeline Walton's fault:) - I still highly recommend her fantasy-fiction retellings of the Four Branches as a way to get a sense of the mythological figures as people. Pwyll and Arawn's involvement in that one bit of practice was at Rhiannon's suggestion.

Gwyn ap Nudd poked his nose in a while back in context of some of my Work involving stuff that's in his wheelhouse.

Sunflower
Thank you for this!! I will definitely have to read her stuff!!

Cryfder

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:22:07 am »

The one Welsh deity I honour is Arianrhod. I don't know why she was the only deity who stuck around after I read the Mabinogion, but she was. She's... awe-inspiring. I tend not to honour her too often because I really don't know how to approach her. I've done a fair bit of research around her though.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Gobae

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.celticclans.org
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:41 am »

As a blacksmith I follow Govannon. Though, I must say, that following isn't really accurate. It's more like working with him or for him.

In my experience he doesn't really want a supplicant saying "Govannon, bless this forge and the work I'm about to do". He'd much rather I just get to work, do my best, learn from doing, and make good things.

Weatherwax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23:35 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174292
My affinity with Rhiannon and Manawyddan is initially all Evangeline Walton's fault:) - I still highly recommend her fantasy-fiction retellings of the Four Branches as a way to get a sense of the mythological figures as

ooh, I didn't know about these book(s) and will definitely look into them. I have not a drop of Welsh blood but have always been drawn to Welsh language, mythology, and history (and by always I mean since I was quite small.)

A question: Brigid is a pretty common goddess to all insular Celts but I don't know of her counterpart in Welsh mythology if there is one.

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:19 pm »
Quote from: Weatherwax;179184
)

A question: Brigid is a pretty common goddess to all insular Celts but I don't know of her counterpart in Welsh mythology if there is one.

Ffraidd

Weatherwax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 01:35:43 pm »
Quote from: Vale;179189
Ffraidd

Hmm, I thought that was just the Christian version as Sant Ffraid Leian, never came accross a goddess Ffraid. Is Ffraid more or less equivalent to the Gaelic (goddess) Brighid, then? I cannot find any sources which mention Ffraid outside the Christian context. :/

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
Quote from: Weatherwax;179191
Hmm, I thought that was just the Christian version as Sant Ffraid Leian, never came accross a goddess Ffraid. Is Ffraid more or less equivalent to the Gaelic (goddess) Brighid, then? I cannot find any sources which mention Ffraid outside the Christian context. :/

No, Ffraid is a Welsh translation of St. Brigit's name. Depending on your view, St. Brigit's life might be an actual person whose biography was borrowed from the goddess's lore or might even be an avatar of the goddess, according to some devotees. There's too much of a blurred line between saint's and deity's backgrounds to tell how far Brighid's worship really stretched.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:36:20 am by Nic an Dair »

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:11 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;179318
No, Ffraid is a Welsh translation of St. Brigit's name. Depending on your view, St. Brigit's life might be an actual person whose biography was borrowed from the goddess's lore or might even be an avatar of the goddess, according to some devotees. There's too much of a blurred line between saint's and deity's backgrounds to tell how far Brighid's worship really stretched.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid#Other_names_and_etymology Here's a bit of etymological information regarding variations on Brighid's name.

Weatherwax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:27 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;179319
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid#Other_names_and_etymology Here's a bit of etymological information regarding variations on Brighid's name.

Thank you! I get the B > Ff and now it makes more sense (Braid).

Tags: