Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Needed: recommendations for spellbooks, but also other things  (Read 2808 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
I will come add more details in a second post tomorrow, but I'm very sleepy (which is frustrating since I just saw about ten threads I wanted to join.

Making an online secondhand book purchase, shipping included when over $10 if I order it to my US box, so trying to get it all in one go.

Original text:
Looking for spellbooks, mythology (from anywhere, as long as it is as accurate to the culture in question as possible) books, reference books, history books (preferably ones that roughly pertain to mythology and religions of the time), herbology books (especially pacific northwest or BC specifically, can be well done magic ones or just botanical), and fairy tale and folklore books. Also interested in spiritual or philosophical texts (primary or textbooks).

I’m also always open to literature suggestions (steep me in allusions!) and to high fantasy and stuff, but spellbooks, lore books, and history, in that order, are my main priorities.

My collection of relevant items includes: Judika Ilkes’ 5000 Spells, Cunningham’s Encuclopedia of Herbs, Beyerl’s Master Book of Herbalism and a few stray herbal references. I also have the Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols and of Magical Creatures. I have Orientalism (Said) on the history/philosophy side.

I especially am looking for decent spell books and non-secular ‘practice’ books (eg working on meditation, household charms, etc), so if all that extra detail was boring, just go with those.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Needed: recommendations for spellbooks, but also other things
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:43:16 am »
Quote from: Scales;174268
I especially am looking for decent spell books and non-secular ‘practice’ books (eg working on meditation, household charms, etc), so if all that extra detail was boring, just go with those.

For magic, I strongly recommend two books for anyone who wants a good grounding in the subject. Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson and Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts by Donald Michael Kraig (the previous edition only had 11 lessons, but it's fine to get and probably easier to find used).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
I will come add more details in a second post tomorrow, but I'm very sleepy (which is frustrating since I just saw about ten threads I wanted to join.

Making an online secondhand book purchase, shipping included when over $10 if I order it to my US box, so trying to get it all in one go.

Original text:
Looking for spellbooks, mythology (from anywhere, as long as it is as accurate to the culture in question as possible) books, reference books, history books (preferably ones that roughly pertain to mythology and religions of the time), herbology books (especially pacific northwest or BC specifically, can be well done magic ones or just botanical), and fairy tale and folklore books. Also interested in spiritual or philosophical texts (primary or textbooks).

I’m also always open to literature suggestions (steep me in allusions!) and to high fantasy and stuff, but spellbooks, lore books, and history, in that order, are my main priorities.

My collection of relevant items includes: Judika Ilkes’ 5000 Spells, Cunningham’s Encuclopedia of Herbs, Beyerl’s Master Book of Herbalism and a few stray herbal references. I also have the Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols and of Magical Creatures. I have Orientalism (Said) on the history/philosophy side.

You want books? I'll give you books.

BEHOLD!

Hellenic Resources/Orphic Resources:

Apostolos N. Athanassakis, ed. & trans., The Orphic Hymns: Text, Translation and Notes (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1977).

Hesiod, Theogony/Works and Days/Shield (various editions)

Homer, Homeric Hymns (various editions)

Walter Burkert, Greek Religion (Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1985) A comprehensive overview of ancient Greek religion. While not an easy read, this is probably the book to start with.

Drew Campbell, Old Stones, New Temples: Ancient Greek Paganism Reborn (Philadelphia: Xlibris, 2000). Comprehensive introduction to Hellenic Reconstructionist Paganism, with emphasis on scholarly sources. Includes annual rituals, life cycle events, polytheology, and ethics.

Robert Garland, The Greek Way of Life (Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1990) and The Greek Way of Death (Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1985). These books provide a survey of rites relating to birth, childhood, adolescence, marriage, and death.

Georg Luck, Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds (Baltimore/London: Johns Hopkins UP, 1985). A collection of essays and primary sources on magick in the ancient world.

Martin Nilsson, Greek Folk Religion. A collection of lectures on the religious practices of the common folk of ancient Greece.Magika Hiera: Ancient Greek Magic and Religion by Christopher A. Faraone

Magic, Witchcraft, and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Sourcebook by Daniel Ogden

The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation: Including the Demotic Spells by Hans Dieter Betz

Magic and Magicians in the Greco-Roman World by Matthew W Dickie

Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored  by Sarah Kate Istra Winter

Dionysus: Myth and Cult by Walter Otto

Redefining Ancient Orphism: A Study in Greek Religion by Radcliffe G. Edmonds III

Ritual Texts for the Afterlife: Orpheus and the Bacchic Gold Tablets by Fritz Graf and Sarah Iles Johnston

Mystic Cults in Magna Graecia by Giovanni Casadio and Patricia A. Johnston

The Land of Remorse: A Study of Southern Italian Tarantism by Ernesto De Martino

Masks of Dionysus by Thomas H. Carpenter and Christopher A. Faraone

Miasma: Pollution and Purification in Early Greek Religion by Robert Parker

The Greeks and the Irrational by E. R. Dodds

Dionysos: Archetypal Image of Indestructible Life by Carl Kerényi

Greek and Roman Necromancy by Daniel Ogden

The Ancient Greek Hero in 24 Hours by Gregory Nagy

Restless Dead: Encounters between the Living and the Dead in Ancient Greece by Sarah Iles Johnston

Hekate Soteira: A Study of Hekate’s Roles in the Chaldean Oracles and Related Literature by Sarah Iles Johnston

The Temple of Hekate - Exploring the Goddess Hekate Through Ritual, Meditation and Divination by Tara Sanchez

Hekate Liminal Rites: A Study of the rituals, magic and symbols of the torch-bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads by Sorita d’Este and David Rankine

HEKATE: Keys to the Crossroads - A collection of personal essays, invocations, rituals, recipes and artwork from modern Witches, Priestesses and … Goddess of Witchcraft, Magick and Sorcery by Sorita d’Este

—-

Kemetic resources:

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts )Oxford University Press, 1969)

Faulkner, R. O., The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day (Chronicle Books, 1999) Ogden Goelet (Editor), Eva Von Dassow, James Wasserman.

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts, Vol. I, Spells 1-354 (Aris & Phillips, Ltd. 1973)

Faulkner, R. O., The Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts, Vol. II, Spells 355-787 (Aris & Phillips, Ltd. 1977)

Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and The Many by Erik Hornung

Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch

The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt by Richard H. Wilkinson

Egyptian Religion by Siegfried Morenz

Temple of the Cosmos: The Ancient Egyptian Experience of the Sacred by Jeremy Nadler

Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy

Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz

Meeks, Dimitri and Favard-Meeks, Christine; G. M. Goshgarian (translator), Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods (Cornell University Press. 1996). This book describes the ancient Egyptian gods’ community and the structures of their society.

Pinch, Geraldine, Magic in Ancient Egypt (University of Texas Press, Austin, 1994). This book examines the magical techniques, practitioners, surviving magical texts, and objects used in magic in ancient Egypt.

David, Rosalie, The Ancient Egyptians. 2nd rev. ed. (Sussex Academic Press, Brighton, UK, 1998). This book traces the evolution of religious beliefs and practices within the historical and political contexts of the major periods of Egypt’s civilization.

The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara L. Siuda. A collection of translated prayers, hymns and rituals from hieroglyphic texts in honor of the ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses.

Invocation of the Gods: Ancient Egyptian Magic for Today by Ellen Cannon Reed. Geared more towards incorporation of Kemetic religion into wiccan practice, it is actually a well written intro to Kemetic themes and concepts from a pagan perspective. It’s handy for newcomers to start with before moving on to deeper practice.

—–

A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism by John Michael Greer

God Against The Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism by Jonathan Kirsch

Walking With The Gods: Modern People Talk About Deities, Faith, and Recreating Ancient Traditions by W.D. Wilkerson

The Balance of the Two Lands: Writings on Greco-Egyptian Polytheism by H Jeremiah Lewis

Bibliotheca-Alexandria devotionals:

A Mantle of Stars: A Devotional for the Queen of Heaven

[edited by Jen McConnel]

Bearing Torches: A Devotional Anthology for Hekate

[edited by Sannion]

Queen of the Sacred Way: A Devotional Anthology in Honor of Persephone

[edited by Melitta Benu]

Waters of Life: A Devotional Anthology for Isis and Serapis

[edited by Jeremy J. Baer and Rebecca Buchanan]

Written in Wine: A Devotional Anthology in Honor of Dionysos

[edited by Sannion]

Poisoncraft and Sorcery reading list

Encyclopedia of Aphrodisiacs: Psychoactive Substances for Use in Sexual Practices by Christian Rätsch and Claudia Müller-Ebeling (Park Street Press, 2013)

Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications by Christian Rätsch (Park Street Press, 2005)

Hallucinogens and Shamanism Edited by Michael Harner (Oxford University Press, 1973)

Herbs & Things: A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Herb Lore by Jeanne Rose (Perigree Trade, 1973 / Last Gasp, 2011)

Magical and Ritual Uses of Aphrodisiacs By Richard Alan Miller (Destiny Books, 1985)

Mystic Mandrake by C. J. S. Thompson (University Books, 1968)

Pharmako/Poeia, Pharmako/Dynamis, and Pharmako/Gnosis by Dale Pendell (North Atlantic Books, 2010)

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation by Stephen Harrod Buhner (Brewers Publications, 1998)

The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia by Paul Devereux (Daily Grail Publishing, 2008)

Toads and Toadstools:  The Natural History, Mythology and Cultural Oddities of This Strange Association by Adrian Morgan (Ten Speed Press, 1996)

Uses and Abuses of Plant-Derived Smoke: Its Ethnobotany as Hallucinogen, Perfume, Incense, and Medicine by Marcello Pennacchio, Lara Jefferson, and Kayri Havens (Oxford University Press, 2010)

Veneficium: Magic, Witchcraft and the Poison Path by Daniel A. Schulke (Three Hands Press, 2012)

Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants by Claudia Müller-Ebeling, Christian Rätsch, and Wolf-Dieter Storl (Inner Traditions, 2003)

Psychic Self-Defense by Dion Fortune

Communing with the Spirits: The Magical Practice of Necromancy Simply and Lucidly Explained, with Full Instructions for the Practice of That Ancie by Martin Coleman

Becoming Osiris: The Ancient Egyptian Death Experience by Ruth Schumann Antelme, Stéphane Rossini

The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius (Image Classics) by St. Ignatius of Loyola, Anthony Mottola

Embodying Osiris: The Secrets of Alchemical Transformation by Thom F Cavalli PhD

The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation: Including the Demotic Spells: Texts (Volume 1) by Hans Dieter Betz

Hekate Liminal Rites: A Study of the rituals, magic and symbols of the torch-bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads by Sorita d'Este, David Rankine

The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy by Cyndi Dale

The Spirit Book: The Encyclopedia of Clairvoyance, Channeling, and Spirit Communication by Raymond Buckland

SSOTBME Revised - an essay on magic by Ramsey Dukes

The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day - The Complete Papyrus of Ani Featuring Integrated Text and Full-Color Images by Eva Von Dassow, Raymond Faulkner, Carol Andrews

Trance-Portatio​n: Learning to Navigate the Inner World by Diana L. Paxson

Myths of the Underworld Journey: Plato, Aristophanes, and the ‘Orphic’ Gold Tablets by Radcliffe G. Edmonds III

Between the Gates: Lucid Dreaming, Astral Projection, and the Body of Light in Western Esotericism by Mark Stavish, John Michael Greer

Persephone Returns: Victims, Heroes and the Journey from the Underworld by Tanya Wilkenson

The Black Sun: The Alchemy and Art of Darkness (Carolyn and Ernest Fay Series in Analytical Psychology) by Stanton Marlan

Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts by Georg Luck

The Underworld in Myth, Magic and Mystery by Sydney and Joan Baggs

Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer’s Manual of the Fifteenth Century (Magic in History) by Richard Kieckhefer

The Pregnant Darkness: Alchemy and the Rebirth of Consciousness by Monika Wikman

“Reading” Greek Death: To the End of the Classical Period by Christiane Sourvinou-Inwood

Reality by Peter Kingsley

Aghora III: The Law of Karma by Dr. Robert Svoboda

My Life With The Spirits: The Adventures of a Modern Magician by Lon Milo DuQuette

The Narcissus and the Pomegranate: An Archaeology of the Homeric Hymn to Demeter by Ann Suter

Magika Hiera: Ancient Greek Magic and Religion by Christopher A. Faraone, Dirk Obbink

AGHORA II: Kundalini (Aghora) (Vol II) by Robert E. Svoboda

The Tibetan Book of the Dead by W.Y. Evans-Wentz

Ritual Texts for the Afterlife: Orpheus and the Bacchic Gold Tablets by Fritz Graf

Through the Gates of Death by Dion Fortune

The Dream and the Underworld by James Hillman

The Oracle: Ancient Delphi and the Science Behind Its Lost Secrets by William J. Broad

By Being, It Is: The Thesis of Parmenides by Nestor-Luis Cordero

In the Dark Places of Wisdom by Peter Kingsley

The Greek Way of Death by Robert Garland

Persephone Unveiled: Seeing the Goddess and Freeing Your Soul by Charles Stein

The Early Greek Concept of the Soul (Mythos: The Princeton/Boll​ingen Series in World Mythology) by Jan Bremmer

Aghora: At the Left Hand of God by Robert E. Svoboda

The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth by Gerald G. May

My Heart My Mother: Death and Rebirth in Ancient Egypt by Alison Roberts

Restless Dead: Encounters between the Living and the Dead in Ancient Greece by Sarah Iles Johnston

Greek and Roman Necromancy by Daniel Ogden

Miasma: Pollution and Purification in Early Greek Religion (Clarendon Paperbacks) by Robert Parker

Aradia, or The Gospel of Witches by Charles G. Leland

-One of the primary books on the practice of old witchcraft, especially in the witch-cult of Lucifer. Charles G. Leland was an America Folklorist of the late nineteenth century who became enamored with the folk and specifically witchcraft traditions of Italy and made an effort to preserve them. He believed that that he was preserving a dying tradition. While there is documentation that he was a hermetic, I do not believe that he was a devotee of Diana, Aradia or regularly practiced the incantations or charms collected in his work. Dr. Mario Pazzaglini points out in his essay “Leland and the Magical World of Aradia” that it is unlikely that an actual “Witches’ Gospel” really existed. Dr. Pazzaglini does not discount the truth of what Mr. Leland collected; only that it was not universal.

History of the Devil: The Horned God of the West by R. Lowe Thompson

-Originally published London 1929. A detailed history of the Devil in all his forms. Includes much content on magic, paganism and early Wicca practices. Contents Include: Early Belief. The Power of Magic. Magicians and Priests. Horned God of the West. Witch God and Devil. The Evolved Magician. Herne and his Kin. Decline of the Devil. Magic Today. etc.This book highlights how various old gods, including Lucifer, have been used in the whole “adversary” role to christianity. It is an older work, so it’s function is more for inspiration and an early accounting of what could be part of old witchcraft

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson

-A review by Nigel Jackson says it best, “Firstly it is an exposition of Witchcraft in the purely pre-modern sense of that word, as a Craft (Anglo-Saxon ‘Craeft’ -'Power, Skill, Force’) and he comprehensively expounds the technical knowledge and applied methods by which this innate 'Power’ can be methodically tapped and projected by the Witch or Warlock for various pragmatic ends. In other words the term Witchcraft here is used in the same archaic sense as one would find it used in say the 17th century astrological works of William Lilly or William Ramesey when they say that the 12th House of the Chart is the 'House of Witchcraft’ - they were not referring to a wiccan-style cult or alternative religion but quite simply meant the exercise of magical power to 'bewitch’. It is in this original and authentic sense that Paul Huson’s book is a genuine manual of 'Witchcraft’, putting aside the modern meanings which have become attached to that word.”

Tubelo’s Green Fire: Mythos, Ethos, Female, Male & Priestley Mysteries of the Clan of Tubal Cain by Shani Oates

-This book explores historical and contemporary ideas of witchcraft through the perspective of the Clan of Tubal Cain, a witchcraft tradition that runs in a similar vein to the witchcraft tradition written about in Leland’s work on Aradia.

The Pillars of Tubal Cain by Nigel Jackson and Michael Howard

-Pulling together a vast collection of topics, this book sets about exploring the interconnection between the concept of “fallen” angels, Nephilim, Sabbatic Witchcraft, Middle-Eastern spirituality, Luciferian Gnosis, to name but a few. Those who are seeking to expand their understanding of esoteric religious and occult practices will certainly find something of value in this book. Reader beware, however, as the *editing* in this book is *horrible* (as is usually the case with Capal Bann publications). But once you are able to get past the typos, and obvious computer-related formatting errors then you will realize that you are holding in your hands an obvious treasure. While one is free to disagree with what you read,this book does offer an exploration of certain mysteries you will find in certain witchcraft traditions as well as showing how the old gods have influenced magical practice in christian mysteries and esoteric traditions. It’s a book designed to make you think, even if some of the things it says are not the interpretation you’re familiar with

The Roebuck in the Thicket: An Anthology of the Robert Cochrane Witchcraft Tradition by Evan John Jones (Author), Robert Cochrane (Author), Michael Howard (Editor)

-This book consists of three basic parts: An introduction which includes a biography of Robert Cochrane, a few writings of Cochrane’s, and a larger number of writings by Evan John Jones. These come out of the Tubal Cain Witchcraft tradition.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
Quote from: SerpentineSorcerer;174272

BEHOLD!

Holy Cow! *copy & pastes* thanks SerpentineSorceror and RandallS
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:18 pm »

BEHOLD!

Lol, for the win! :)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:41:32 pm »

Are ebooks okay? Because there's a ton of decent electronic titles out there going for around a dollar apiece.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:17 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174270
For magic, I strongly recommend two books for anyone who wants a good grounding in the subject. Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson and Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts by Donald Michael Kraig (the previous edition only had 11 lessons, but it's fine to get and probably easier to find used).

I'll be looking those up, thanks!

[long]

This is amazing, thank you!

Quote from: Chatelaine;174291
Are ebooks okay? Because there's a ton of decent electronic titles out there going for around a dollar apiece.

I like my physical books, but yes, they are! Especially since it's hard to know which ebooks are going to actually be decent.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:06:21 am »
Quote from: Scales;174383
I like my physical books, but yes, they are! Especially since it's hard to know which ebooks are going to actually be decent.

Some things to check out, then:

Melusine Draco's Traditional Witchcraft series.

The Pagan Portals series; very eclectic, still expanding.

A couple of years ago I got a digital copy of Ed Fitch's classic Magical Rites from the Crystal Well off Smashwords for £1. That offer was obviously time-limited, but the regular price isn't too bad.

For mythologies and generally primary sources, pretty much anything you need will be on SacredTexts or Project Gutenberg. No need to pay a penny!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:08:26 am by Chatelaine »
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:19:30 am »
Quote from: Hieronymus;174273
Holy Cow! *copy & pastes* thanks SerpentineSorceror and RandallS

I saved that too. It was 2,475 words and 10 pages once I changed the font size.

Tags: