collapse

Author Topic: Chaos Magic  (Read 7355 times)

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Chaos Magic
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »
Hey all. I'm fairly new, trying to find my place here. But I am very excited about Chaos Magick.

I was curious if anyone had some good books on it. After some research it seems that it has gone through some...stages. Carroll or Spare or... well I don't know. I've read Phil Hine's Condensed Chaos pdf and it helped quite a bit.

It's a topic with an inherent desperate approach that I'm finding it a bewildering to get traction. I know it's all individual and that's the core of it. I guess I'm looking for some perspective and direction.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

H
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
- da Vinci

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Chaos Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:03 pm »
Quote from: Hieronymus;174191
Hey all. I'm fairly new, trying to find my place here. But I am very excited about Chaos Magick.

I was curious if anyone had some good books on it. After some research it seems that it has gone through some...stages. Carroll or Spare or... well I don't know. I've read Phil Hine's Condensed Chaos pdf and it helped quite a bit.

It's a topic with an inherent desperate approach that I'm finding it a bewildering to get traction. I know it's all individual and that's the core of it. I guess I'm looking for some perspective and direction.

Thanks!

H

Carroll, Spare, Hine - you've got foundations there. I really loved Ramsey Dukes when I was deep into it, and Grant Morrison's The Invisibles.

With Chaos Magic - as with all magic really - I find the actual practice to be what helps you work through the confusing shit. You have to do as well as read, you know?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:14:21 pm by Emma Eldritch »

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:00 am »

Thanks!

H

What particular parts of chaos magick excite you the most?  That's a good thing to work out and move forward from?
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:34:24 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;174192
Carroll, Spare, Hine - you've got foundations there. I really loved Ramsey Dukes when I was deep into it, and Grant Morrison's The Invisibles.

Pfft.  Carroll.  :p

(As a note, chaos magicians love their pointless feuds and you should generally ignore anything they have to say about each other).
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:39 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;174193
What particular parts of chaos magick excite you the most?  That's a good thing to work out and move forward from?

Yes, I do need more practice. I'm an academic and I usually try to get as much info as I can before I dive in. ;)
The monogram and mantra aspect i found brilliant. I've been toying with that and it seems to be one of the most interesting aspects to me.
- da Vinci

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:07:46 am »
Quote from: Hieronymus;174198
Yes, I do need more practice. I'm an academic and I usually try to get as much info as I can before I dive in. ;)
The monogram and mantra aspect i found brilliant. I've been toying with that and it seems to be one of the most interesting aspects to me.
That's a good idea. If your intellect is on board, the magick will have less interference.

I find that a strong background in a system such as the Qabalistic Tree of Life and Tarot provides a wealth of archetypes that you can then draw upon to invent your own system.
For example, the Tree of Life provides a system in which you can tailor old gods with your own flavor to make new ones that better compliment your own disposition. Further, because it deals in real human archetypes, it is easier to believe in what you create.

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:31 am »
Quote from: Wimsaur;174204
That's a good idea. If your intellect is on board, the magick will have less interference.

I find that a strong background in a system such as the Qabalistic Tree of Life and Tarot provides a wealth of archetypes that you can then draw upon to invent your own system.
For example, the Tree of Life provides a system in which you can tailor old gods with your own flavor to make new ones that better compliment your own disposition. Further, because it deals in real human archetypes, it is easier to believe in what you create.

Great suggestion, Wimsaur. I've been combing through books on various systems and the Tree of Life diagram popped up in a few (Golden Dawn and such), and I heard it is a great way to organize a pantheon.
- da Vinci

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:34 am »
Quote from: Hieronymus;174206
Great suggestion, Wimsaur. I've been combing through books on various systems and the Tree of Life diagram popped up in a few (Golden Dawn and such), and I heard it is a great way to organize a pantheon.
Good books on the Tree of Life:
Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism by Gareth Knight
Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley (mainly about Tarot which is intimately connected with Qabalah).

Also, the tarot cards themselves are a great resource for understanding the Tree. Meditation on the ace-10 will provide incite into the Tree as it exists among the 4 worlds related to the 4 elements. The court cards teach the phases of the 4 elements. The trumps teach the subjective paths that connect the sephiroth (spheres) of the Tree.
It is best to use a deck that has heavy symbolism for this (Thoth, Ryder-Waite).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:52:19 am by Wimsaur »

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;174207
Good books on the Tree of Life:
Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism by Gareth Knight
Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley (mainly about Tarot which is intimately connected with Qabalah).

Also, the tarot cards themselves are a great resource for understanding the Tree. Meditation on the ace-10 will provide incite into the Tree as it exists among the 4 worlds related to the 4 elements. The court cards teach the phases of the 4 elements. The trumps teach the subjective paths that connect the sephiroth (spheres) of the Tree.
It is best to use a deck that has heavy symbolism for this (Thoth, Ryder-Waite).
Good suggestions. I also like Lon DuQuettes books on Kabbalah
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Hieronymus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:11:16 pm »
Quote from: random417;174215
Good suggestions. I also like Lon DuQuettes books on Kabbalah

Man, my Amazon bill is going to give me a heart attack!

Thanks all
- da Vinci

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:35 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;174194
Pfft.  Carroll.  :p

(As a note, chaos magicians love their pointless feuds and you should generally ignore anything they have to say about each other).

I am giggling mightily now, thankyew.

(Or you listen to everything they all say and believe all/none of it at the same time.)

Jaxxie

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 03:28:37 am »

Just popping in to keep a watch on this thread, as I am interested in Chaos Magick, myself.

Tags: