Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Flamekeeping and the Temple of Set  (Read 3415 times)

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Flamekeeping and the Temple of Set
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »
I've been doing a lot of Left Hand Path reading of late, and I've come upon a realization.

The Temple of Set, and Flamekeeping have identical goals. The only difference is that Flamekeepers are doing it with or without any God archetypes in mind. While Setians are doing the Work of Set, but the basic principles appear to be the same.

What do you guys think about this? Have any of you studied Setian philosophies? Thoughts?

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: Flamekeeping and the Temple of Set
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:57 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;17478

What do you guys think about this? Have any of you studied Setian philosophies? Thoughts?

For me personally, regardless of FK, I feel that ToS is totally NOT for me. To me, they understand Set on some levels, but they take him out of context, and in so doing, they miss the point completely. I've read through the basics of their temple, and I thought it was completely not up my alley. I just spent most of my time shaking my head.

For me personally, if i'm going to worship Set, I'm going to worship him in his context and setting as a Kemetic. And Kemeticism and FK have a lot in common.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »
Quote from: Devo;17511
For me personally, regardless of FK, I feel that ToS is totally NOT for me. To me, they understand Set on some levels, but they take him out of context, and in so doing, they miss the point completely. I've read through the basics of their temple, and I thought it was completely not up my alley. I just spent most of my time shaking my head.

For me personally, if i'm going to worship Set, I'm going to worship him in his context and setting as a Kemetic. And Kemeticism and FK have a lot in common.

-Devo

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Devo.  I do a lot work with Set and personally I cannot stand the ToS from what I've learned about them.  Apologies to anyone here that is a member of ToS, feel free to educate me if I'm off the mark here.  But ToS seems like they have no clue about him and the bits I have heard about them have left a bad taste in my mouth, even before I discovered Kemeticism.  As for FK, I have not studied it, so I know pretty much nothing about it, but would like to learn.  I know this is the FK part of the board, but I saw that this thread is about Set so I thought I'd chime in..

ToS seems like they are nothing more than a group of Satanists that got fed up with the politics of their temple and wanted to break off and do their own thing but want to appear spooky by worshiping a god they think will make them baddasses.   Devo said it perfectly: they might understand Set on some levels, but they seem to miss the point.  I too would rather work with him in a Kemetic context.  Again I Know NOTHING about Flamekeeping so this post is IN NO WAY directed toward any of its members.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:31:10 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »
I've been doing a lot of Left Hand Path reading of late, and I've come upon a realization.

The Temple of Set, and Flamekeeping have identical goals.

As I understand it, Flamekeeping has a respect for community that I do not think any Satanist organisation is all that great on.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:24:00 am »

The Temple of Set, and Flamekeeping have identical goals. The only difference is that Flamekeepers are doing it with or without any God archetypes in mind. While Setians are doing the Work of Set, but the basic principles appear to be the same.

I would suspect that ToS has similar goals to *half* of FlameKeeping - the dark flame parts.  The parts that involve turning inwards and improving the self.

But the second half - the bright flame, the turning back OUTWARDS and enhancing the world around you - as I understand ToS, and I may well be wrong, they don't have this part.  KEMETICISM does - again, there's overlap out the wazoo there - but without the community and world aspects, it's really only half the story.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;17581

From what I've read, ToS does have sense of community and does also work to balance the outward sides of themselves also. They don't promote the same things that the Church of Satan did and so then broke off. What struck me is just how the much the basics of both FK and ToS are alike. You are right about Kemeticism, it is definitely like FK.

I also agree with Devo to a certain extent, from what I'm reading, they're taking Set out of context to a great degree.

But, after reading for awhile, it seems to me that ToS and FK could fit together to a large degree with minimal fuss. Just based on the development of self that goes on in both. It was interesting.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;17620
From what I've read, ToS does have sense of community and does also work to balance the outward sides of themselves also. They don't promote the same things that the Church of Satan did and so then broke off. What struck me is just how the much the basics of both FK and ToS are alike. You are right about Kemeticism, it is definitely like FK.

I also agree with Devo to a certain extent, from what I'm reading, they're taking Set out of context to a great degree.

But, after reading for awhile, it seems to me that ToS and FK could fit together to a large degree with minimal fuss. Just based on the development of self that goes on in both. It was interesting.

I do aim for FK to be compatible with as broad a range of things as possible - it's a framework, not necessarily the entire object.  So, y'know, if it works - it's good! :D

Tags: