Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Fukushima: Has the Situation Gotten Worse over the Years?  (Read 5753 times)

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Fukushima: Has the Situation Gotten Worse over the Years?
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:13 am »
I tried to see if there were any threads on the whole Fukushima radiation on here but I didn't find anything on here. So I thought, "Why not start a discussion thread?".

I've been doing some research over the last month now and from what I can see, the radiation incident is getting worse. Those of you who live on the west coast may have noticed sea animals getting sick or even dying off in huge masses. The media has reported all of this due to "climate change" and "disease" among other things.

Here's a link on the sea animals: http://enenews.com/expert-disease-outbreak-west-coast-largest-ever-in-animal-population-vide?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ENENews+%28Energy+News%29

Even Alaska is having problems: http://enenews.com/peaked-year-after-fukushima-1000-average-rate-seals-continue-be-reported-hair-loss-makes-nervous-photo?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ENENews+%28Energy+News%29

I find this all hard to believe that these animals dying have to do with sickness or rising temperatures. I've made it a personal choice not to eat anything from the Pacific Ocean or from Japan. Many things have been happening that TEPCO ( Tokyo Electric Power Company) has refused or denies. Japan itself has been acting like everything is okay and getting better when it isn't.

link: http://enenews.com/alarm-rings-fukushima-plant-new-leak-highly-radioactive-material-detected-strontium-90-levels-spike-alarmingly-video?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ENENews+%28Energy+News%29

The latest thing to come out of Fukushima, is that a robot sent into reactor no.1 for a 10 hour walk-through and stopped working after about 3 hours.  The last thing it recorded, however, was a radiation reading of 9.7 sieverts per hour (meaning spending an hour in there will kill you).

link: http://enenews.com/major-blow-fukushima-robot-loses-control-inside-reactor-moved-10-meters-before-failing-max-radiation-levels-doubled-2012-video?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ENENews+%28Energy+News%29

So what do you guys think? Personally I'm seriously concerned about the state of the situation. I've read an article ( I can't locate it or the YouTube video for the life of me) that if another major earthquake above a 7.0 hits and the 4th reactor goes, all of us in the northern hemisphere are in major trouble. Not to say the radiation won't spread to the southern hemisphere but that's where I would be heading if things start getting nasty here.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Fukushima: Has the Situation Gotten Worse over the Years?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:53 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;174014
I've been doing some research over the last month now and from what I can see, the radiation incident is getting worse. Those of you who live on the west coast may have noticed sea animals getting sick or even dying off in huge masses. The media has reported all of this due to "climate change" and "disease" among other things.

Probably because there is little evidence that these problems have anything to do with Fukushima. They might, but I think some of the people looking into these animal issues would have mentioned it if there were evidence that radiation was the problem -- and that would have made the news big time.

Is Fukushima getting worse? I think this depends on what you mean by "getting worse". They certainly are not have the success they hoped for cleaning up the mess, but that doesn't necessarily mean the situation is getting worse -- simply not getting better. The real issue is Japan isn't being very forthcoming on the details. However, given Japanese culture, this isn't surprising. Things that bring shame are downplayed.

The latest thing to come out of Fukushima, is that a robot sent into reactor no.1 for a 10 hour walk-through and stopped working after about 3 hours.  The last thing it recorded, however, was a radiation reading of 9.7 sieverts per hour (meaning spending an hour in there will kill you).

This, fortunately, isn't really a sign that things are getting worse. What is important isn't the radiation levels inside the reactor but the stuff that leaks out.  High radiation levels inside the reactor just delay trying to recover the nuclear fuel therein. (Also, that level of radiation is probably lowered than one might expect given what it was in 2012.) Unfortunately, there is still stuff leaking out -- at least from reports I've seen.  Nothing like right after the disaster, but it is not as contained as one would hope. High radiation levels inside the reactor just delay trying to recover the nuclear fuel therein

So what do you guys think? Personally I'm seriously concerned about the state of the situation. I've read an article ( I can't locate it or the YouTube video for the life of me) that if another major earthquake above a 7.0 hits and the 4th reactor goes, all of us in the northern hemisphere are in major trouble. Not to say the radiation won't spread to the southern hemisphere but that's where I would be heading if things start getting nasty here.

If the fourth reactor is shut down. It was shut down before the disaster. The problem is there are some 1300 spent fuel rods stored underwater in containment pools there. They need to be removed and stored elsewhere. Unless the area somehow exploded, there probably isn't much danger to the pacific ocean. I don't think the fuel rods could explode on their own -- if the containment failed you'd likely get a nasty meltdown. This would be a very bad thing, but not nearly as bad as an explosion.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:38:43 am »
Quote from: RandallS;174021
Probably because there is little evidence that these problems have anything to do with Fukushima. They might, but I think some of the people looking into these animal issues would have mentioned it if there were evidence that radiation was the problem -- and that would have made the news big time.

Is Fukushima getting worse? I think this depends on what you mean by "getting worse". They certainly are not have the success they hoped for cleaning up the mess, but that doesn't necessarily mean the situation is getting worse -- simply not getting better. The real issue is Japan isn't being very forthcoming on the details. However, given Japanese culture, this isn't surprising. Things that bring shame are downplayed.

Yeah but then again, a lot of the major news programs and websites don't really talk about Fukushima nowadays. You would think if the cause of the animal deaths was radiation they would say something but I don't think they would. The government doesn't want wide spread panic among people so it would make sense that they would  say "It's climate change!". Now, I don't know for sure if they would do that. I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind my thinking.

Yeah, I should have made that part more clear ^^; My apologies. By "getting worse" I mean that the clean up is not going to get anywhere any time soon. It's impossible to see inside even with the protective suits on and now the fuel in reactor #1 has disappeared. Of course they have said they have no way of knowing whether the fuel is still contained.

Little excerpt from this article:http://enenews.com/times-worst-possible-result-revealed-fukushima-plant-chief-centuries-pass-before-humans-invent-deal-molten-fuel-videos

"..Recent scans of one revealed the worst possible result: all the nuclear fuel that was in the reactor’s furnace has melted and dripped down into the concrete outer containment vessel… The alternative would be to seal the entire complex in a giant sarcophagus like the one covering Chernobyl — but it would have to extend underground to stop contaminated groundwater reaching the sea."

And I mean it's not just by sea the radiation can travel. It can also travel by air so it doesn't really go away nor does it stay in one place.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:39:44 am by Caffeinated Autumn »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;174039
Yeah but then again, a lot of the major news programs and websites don't really talk about Fukushima nowadays.

They still do when something major comes out. Otherwise, there really isn't anything for general news shows/newspapers to cover. Few people are going to be interested in daily reports.

".... The alternative would be to seal the entire complex in a giant sarcophagus like the one covering Chernobyl — but it would have to extend underground to stop contaminated groundwater reaching the sea."

That's what many experts have been thinking for some time.

And I mean it's not just by sea the radiation can travel. It can also travel by air so it doesn't really go away nor does it stay in one place.
the main danger from slower leaks is to the immediate area, however -- not to places across the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:54:57 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174042
They still do when something major comes out. Otherwise, there really isn't anything for general news shows/newspapers to cover. Few people are going to be interested in daily reports.

That's what many experts have been thinking for some time.

the main danger from slower leaks is to the immediate area, however -- not to places across the ocean.

So far though, none of the major newspapers are keeping track of anything nor are any major news agencies. Many of the info about Fukushima is going to mostly non-major news websites. It seems most of the major newspapers/channels/websites are interested in what they think is interesting to us and not what should be for our own benefit when it comes to things like this. Plus we don't know if what Japan is telling us is true (ex: There's less radiation leaking, The seafood on the west coast is fine, etc.).

The immediate area is always in danger. However, the ocean is always moving water around. There's no way it can just stay in the immediate area only. About 300 tons of radioactive water is still being drawn into the Pacific Ocean daily.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:47:11 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;174061
The immediate area is always in danger. However, the ocean is always moving water around. There's no way it can just stay in the immediate area only. About 300 tons of radioactive water is still being drawn into the Pacific Ocean daily.

This is why this isn't in the world news. Once that water moves around out of the immediate area, its diluted by by doing so. 300 tons of water is a tiny drop in a very large bucket.

There is a lot of coverage of Fukushima on sites devoted to energy news and the like. You will not see it on the nightly news or in general newspapers unless something major/generally newsworthy happens -- and it seldom does. It's no different than the general news coverage of Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.
Randall

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:36:08 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174074
This is why this isn't in the world news. Once that water moves around out of the immediate area, its diluted by by doing so. 300 tons of water is a tiny drop in a very large bucket.

There is a lot of coverage of Fukushima on sites devoted to energy news and the like. You will not see it on the nightly news or in general newspapers unless something major/generally newsworthy happens -- and it seldom does. It's no different than the general news coverage of Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.

I've read articles that it's actually getting worse than Chernobyl if it's not already. 300 tons adds up though. Just because there's more water doesn't mean the radiation will be at a "safe" amount. The sea life breathes in the contaminated water and thus becomes poisoned which then leads to other sea creatures (seals eating fish that have high amounts of radiation) eating them and getting seriously sick.

I think it's way different than Chernobyl and Three Mile Island because we are talking about animals dying off in masses in or around the ocean and radiation that's not going to disappear for possibly centuries. If scientists don't get together and figure out what to do soon, there's going to be a huge problem and the west coast may need to be evacuated.

Tags: