Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Universe may not be Expanding as Fast as Currently Thought  (Read 5259 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Universe may not be Expanding as Fast as Currently Thought
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:53:17 am »
Astronomers have found that the type of supernovae commonly used to  measure distances in the universe fall into distinct populations not  recognized before. The findings have implications for our understanding  of how fast the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang

Read the article

Type 1a supernovas have been thought to always be the same brightness -- however, this now appears not to be true. There are apparently two subtypes and the more more common nearby (i.e. in recent times) is less common far away (in ancient times) which means the expansion universe may not be accelerating as fast as previous thought -- that is, there may be less Dark Energy than currently thought.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Universe may not be Expanding as Fast as Currently Thought
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:41:19 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;173951
Read the article

Type 1a supernovas have been thought to always be the same brightness -- however, this now appears not to be true. There are apparently two subtypes and the more more common nearby (i.e. in recent times) is less common far away (in ancient times) which means the expansion universe may not be accelerating as fast as previous thought -- that is, there may be less Dark Energy than currently thought.

Ooh, very interesting and cool!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »
Read the article

A very intriguing read! Thanks!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:56 am »
...there may be less Dark Energy than currently thought.

The All-Father used it all up to send Thor to Midgard to retrieve Loki after Bifrost was destroyed.

No?  :(

Seriously, there's so much we're learning about the universe, and will probably never know. As J.B.S. Haldane said "I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:38 am »
Read the article

I've never liked Dark Energy anyway. :P

More seriously, it's always seemed .. one of those hand-waves.  Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'd be really happy to have some of these "fuck if we know" things either understood better or removed.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:50:43 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;174167
I've never liked Dark Energy anyway. :P

More seriously, it's always seemed .. one of those hand-waves.  Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'd be really happy to have some of these "fuck if we know" things either understood better or removed.

Can't be removed given the current understanding of things (it might be a placeholder, but there's still a place, y'know?), and understanding it better takes time and research. IMO, it'd be more of a handwave to say, 'We don't understand what's happening with this, so we'll pretend there's nothing there.'

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:32 am »
Read the article

That's really neat!

Makes me want to take a new astronomy class just to see what's changed since I last had one. Space is just one of those things that never stays the same, or so it seems.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:18 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174189
Can't be removed given the current understanding of things (it might be a placeholder, but there's still a place, y'know?), and understanding it better takes time and research. IMO, it'd be more of a handwave to say, 'We don't understand what's happening with this, so we'll pretend there's nothing there.'

Sunflower

oh, I know.  But every time I see things that point to lessening it, my faith in the universe /being understandable over time/ increases.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:51:09 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;174167

This doesn't show there isn't any Dark Energy (as the acceleration of the expansion of the universe has been verified other ways now). This just means their is probably less Dark Energy than has been thought.  There are other explanations for the the apparent acceleration of the expansion of the universe but they require odd things -- like the observable universe to be different (especially empty, for example) compared to the entire universe.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: