Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Quoting posts before reply  (Read 10086 times)

Alatoru

• View Profile
Quoting posts before reply
« on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:12 pm »
Hey there, it's me again =) .
I would like to suggest an idea, I am not sure if you will like it or not but here it is:

So far, I noticed that it's not possible to reply without quoting someone's message. But, that's just not good. I understand that I am replying to someone here and it is logical to quote the post of the person I reply to but I am used to use this type of referring:

@NickName: Hello there, etc etc
@NickName2: Yes, I will not say something to you.

Like this, I have freedom to instantly say what I want without quoting. There is no great difference and I am sure this won't be accepted, most likely, but I felt urge to write my thoughts.

Regards  Alexander.
The true terror is when your fears become reality.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Quoting posts before reply
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:35:28 pm »
Quote from: Alatoru;173864
So far, I noticed that it's not possible to reply without quoting someone's message. But, that's just not good.

Quoting the post to which you are responding is required by board rules, so that people can immediately follow the trackbacks and see how the flow of the conversation is working.  We removed the option to not quote to make it easier for people to comply with these rules.

This will not change.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:52:02 am »
Hey there, it's me again =) .
I would like to suggest an idea, I am not sure if you will like it or not but here it is:

So far, I noticed that it's not possible to reply without quoting someone's message. But, that's just not good. I understand that I am replying to someone here and it is logical to quote the post of the person I reply to but I am used to use this type of referring:

@NickName: Hello there, etc etc
@NickName2: Yes, I will not say something to you.

Like this, I have freedom to instantly say what I want without quoting. There is no great difference and I am sure this won't be accepted, most likely, but I felt urge to write my thoughts.

Regards  Alexander.
I've noticed that i can still forget, and i use Tapatalk exclusively. I didn't even know that was blocked on pc. I wonder if you might be able to block that on phones. Would help me remember.

Anyway, it takes a bit of getting used to, but it does help
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:53:35 am »
Like this, I have freedom to instantly say what I want without quoting. There is no great difference and I am sure this won't be accepted, most likely, but I felt urge to write my thoughts

There is one major difference. Quoting the message (as we require here) provides a link back to the message being quoted. So if someone in reading message #103 and it quotes message #20 (which may be from many days ago), the reader can click on the little blue box in the quote and be taken directly to the message that is being replied to to read it in its entirety. Your method may be easily on the message writer, but does not have this easy way to find the message being replied to which makes it harder on the message's many readers.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:53 am »
Quote from: random417;173888
I've noticed that i can still forget, and i use Tapatalk exclusively. I didn't even know that was blocked on pc. I wonder if you might be able to block that on phones. Would help me remember.

Tapatalk is a third party app that we do not have (or control) the source code of so we have no way to change it's code to require quoting as we have done with the board software. Unfortunately, those who choose to use Tapatalk just have to remember to quote.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »
So far, I noticed that it's not possible to reply without quoting someone's message. But, that's just not good.

Actually, it's essential.  Given how threads can drift over multiple topics, sprout tangents, and contain several convos going on at once, the quote requirement helps preserve continuity and context.  This gets more important as a thread meanders over several pages, which happens a lot here.

It takes a little getting used to, but honestly I think all discussion forums should have such a rule.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;173980
Actually, it's essential.  Given how threads can drift over multiple topics, sprout tangents, and contain several convos going on at once, the quote requirement helps preserve continuity and context.  This gets more important as a thread meanders over several pages, which happens a lot here.

It takes a little getting used to, but honestly I think all discussion forums should have such a rule.
I second MadZealot!! It helps people to respond directly with other posters by quoting their exact post! It helps one know who's speaking to whom!!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:07 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;173981
I second MadZealot!! It helps people to respond directly with other posters by quoting their exact post! It helps one know who's speaking to whom!!

Agreed with Cryfder and MadZealot.

Quite a few other debate-oriented forums I used to be on don't have the quoting rule, and it can get pretty damn difficult to figure out whether someone's replying to the latest post or the OP in general. It can cause a lot of unnecessary friction between users. @ing people doesn't solve the problem if said person has posted in a thread multiple times.

Funnily enough, the one forum I was primarily active on before coming here actually made quoting a bannable offense. Talk about internet culture shock.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:04 am »
Quote from: DemeterDelusion;174015
Agreed with Cryfder and MadZealot.

Quite a few other debate-oriented forums I used to be on don't have the quoting rule, and it can get pretty damn difficult to figure out whether someone's replying to the latest post or the OP in general. It can cause a lot of unnecessary friction between users. @ing people doesn't solve the problem if said person has posted in a thread multiple times.

Funnily enough, the one forum I was primarily active on before coming here actually made quoting a bannable offense. Talk about internet culture shock.

Speaking of different forum cultures, it's worth noting that this forum has absolutely no problem with multi posting, in fact it encourages it.  (Unlike some other places).

So don't feel that you need to strip out the code separately from four posts you want to reply to and put it in a single post.  Just post four times, one after another.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 05:46:27 am »

It's a pain in the ass remembering that you have to quote someone in a thread to respond to it, but it generally does make it easier to follow the flow of conversation.

But at the same time, yeah. What if I just want to make a general, or original, comment to a thread? Quoting someone make no sense, since I'm not responding to anyone in particular. It's not really bad, just nonsensical in certain situations.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:58 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;174131
But at the same time, yeah. What if I just want to make a general, or original, comment to a thread? Quoting someone make no sense, since I'm not responding to anyone in particular. It's not really bad, just nonsensical in certain situations.

Most of the time such replies to no one in particular are really a reply to the first post in the thread.  There are a few exceptions that do not require quotes. A reply thanking everyone for their help, for example.
Randall

Tags: