Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Gris gris bags  (Read 4563 times)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Gris gris bags
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:46 pm »
I'm looking for a good crash course in making gris gris bags (or something similar) for my personal work. Anyone have a book or website they can personally recommend, before I start wading through the offerings on Google?

Karen

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gris gris bags
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:36 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;173862
I'm looking for a good crash course in making gris gris bags (or something similar) for my personal work. Anyone have a book or website they can personally recommend, before I start wading through the offerings on Google?

Karen

Never leave home without 'em :). I just make my own out of things which are meaningful to me.

Here is one take on them. Whatever one may think of Yronwode, she does put a lot of interesting info out there for others to use freely.  

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojo.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:48:18 pm by carillion »

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:36:07 am »
Quote from: carillion;173879
Never leave home without 'em :). I just make my own out of things which are meaningful to me.

Here is one take on them. Whatever one may think of Yronwode, she does put a lot of interesting info out there for others to use freely.  

Thanks. Bookmarked that, as there is a lot there to digest.

Karen

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
Quote from: carillion;173879

Just posting to add a link onto this to clarify why one might be uncomfortable with Yronwode.

Her husband holds views regarding the LGBTQ+ community and suicide that I personally am not comfortable with, as well.

Not to say Mrs. Yronwode doesn't know her stuff. She has good information, but this may be pertinent as well. :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:39:58 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;173967
Just posting to add a link onto this to clarify why one might be uncomfortable with Yronwode.

Her husband holds views regarding the LGBTQ+ community and suicide that I personally am not comfortable with, as well.

Not to say Mrs. Yronwode doesn't know her stuff. She has good information, but this may be pertinent as well. :)

The article seems to be missing.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:43:52 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;173969
The article seems to be missing.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll put up the fixed link when I get home (there's internet restriction where I am now).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:30 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;173971
Thanks for letting me know! I'll put up the fixed link when I get home (there's internet restriction where I am now).

I really hope this one works.

http://conjureart.blogspot.com/2013/10/open-letter-to-cat-yronwode-and-lucky.html

Moonflower

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://moonflowervine.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:39 am »

Karen

http://www.amazon.com/Magics-Bag-Creating-Spellbinding-Sachets/dp/073871903X

This one is quite extensive.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 01:51:48 am »
Quote from: Moonflower;174279
http://www.amazon.com/Magics-Bag-Creating-Spellbinding-Sachets/dp/073871903X

This one is quite extensive.

This line from one of the reviews would give me pause before I considered buying such a book " ( there are no spells containing a negative basis nor any un-hexing just the positive aspect )". Right there I'd wonder how much the author(s) understood about this kind of magic.

Moonflower

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://moonflowervine.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:01:35 pm »
Quote from: carillion;174281
This line from one of the reviews would give me pause before I considered buying such a book " ( there are no spells containing a negative basis nor any un-hexing just the positive aspect )". Right there I'd wonder how much the author(s) understood about this kind of magic.

I can agree with that, this more of the lighter side of things. IMO, I haven't seen bags typically used for the more negative work. In my experience I've seen tricks laid out more so with powders, jars or dollbabies.

There's always this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Charms-Spells-Formulas-Llewellyns-Practical/dp/0875425011
which is more of the traditional hoodoo than the eclectic type I mentioned previously.

ciaofornow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »
Karen

Hi Karen, I personally like Denise Alvarado's work and her book Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook is excellent and contains a section on making gris gris.

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Hoodoo-Spellbook-Denise-Alvarado-ebook/dp/B005SG3YFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431135262&sr=1-1&keywords=hoodoo+voodoo

The stuff that goes on with Catherine Yronwood and their business is pretty off-putting. I really don't know what to think sometimes but as Carillon mentioned there is lots of info on the luckymojo.com site.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
Quote from: eventide;174811
Hi Karen, I personally like Denise Alvarado's work and her book Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook is excellent and contains a section on making gris gris.

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Hoodoo-Spellbook-Denise-Alvarado-ebook/dp/B005SG3YFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431135262&sr=1-1&keywords=hoodoo+voodoo

The stuff that goes on with Catherine Yronwood and their business is pretty off-putting. I really don't know what to think sometimes but as Carillon mentioned there is lots of info on the luckymojo.com site.

Thanks. I sent a book sample to my kindle. I've heard of the issues with Cat Yronwood. I don't know what to make of it. I haven't bought anything from Lucky Mojo, though the last set of renters next door seriously tempted me into hot foot powder.

Karen

ciaofornow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 09:38:26 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;175022
Thanks. I sent a book sample to my kindle. I've heard of the issues with Cat Yronwood. I don't know what to make of it. I haven't bought anything from Lucky Mojo, though the last set of renters next door seriously tempted me into hot foot powder.

Karen

oh I have a problem with my neighbours too ): Haven't decided what to do. Unfortunately they live in a house that has been divided up into two or three flats and it's made me unsure of how to proceed - don't want to cause any more trouble for the other occupants who already are living with the rudest partiers EVER.

Tags: