collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What practice looks like  (Read 9600 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What practice looks like
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »
Jenett started this thread on the old board and I'd really love to see it continued here.

She wrote:
One of the things I've been thinking about a lot this past year is what I want my practice to look like (because for a bunch of the past 18 months, it's been less than I wanted for health reasons, and I'm still trying to figure out what's a sustainable thing, within my commitments and the expectations of the tradition, going forward.)

So, I thought it might be cool to ask: what's your practice looked like recently? (Say, within the month of March: stuff you've done, stuff you're planning to do.)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
Re: What practice looks like
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:54 pm »
Quote from: Juni;756

For me, my practice over the past month has not looked like much. I've been attempting to figure out a 20 day cycle where I could honor (casually, mostly) each of my deities on an individual day. I spent a lot of time overthinking it and trying to cram too much into the cycle, so I stepped back, simplified, and decided to implement the new cycle by adding one day every cycle. So this time I'm just doing my cill shift for Brighid; next cycle will be Brighid's day and Hetharu's, etcetera.

So at the moment, my practice mostly consists of my daily prayers, said morning and night, and spontaneous prayers offered up throughout the day as appropriate.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:56:59 pm »

She wrote:

Since my life's fairly busy at the moment, all I do is a daily prayer (mornings and evenings), and a weekly offering of flowers for Anann.
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »
Jenett started this thread

I do Senut ritual for Aset a few times a week and I give offerings for Nebet Het, Wepwawet and Sekhmet on a weekly basis.  

I give offerings to Oya and Elegba on Wednesdays.  

I give mead or milk to Frigga and light her candles to symbolize a hearth-fire on Fridays.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »
Jenett started this thread on the old board and I'd really love to see it continued here.

Well... my practice in the last month... I poured water for Neptune one day and... that's it.

Mostly non-existant. I'm not feeling well about that. I need to practice, but I don't know what to do. :( The things I used to do before seem to lack meaning right now, and I can't find any meaningful practice to worship my gods and goddesses these days.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »

Thanks for restarting it!

This month, my practice is likely going to be both highly erratic in obvious ways, and deeply embedded in a lot of choices I'm making (since I'm moving, and pretty much *everything* is going to be different next month: different car, new job (and so new schedule), new place to live, new community (and very different size of community), and .. well, pretty much everything except the bare basics I'm moving with me, the cat, and the harp.

Next month, that remains to be seen: some things I don't want to settle on until I'm in whatever space I'm living in. But I want to settle on a better morning practice that I can do reliably (and in particular, want to build perfume choice into that - putting on a very small amount early when I first wake up, so it isn't bothersome for people I'll share a (large) office space with.)

And I fully plan for an awesome Lammas ritual in my new apartment on the 2nd, when I'll have taken the friend who's helping me drive cross-country to the train station, acquired a new-to-me car from my mother, and then will come home to my new place by myself for the first time.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »

What I'd love to see in say the next 6 months is a weekly ADF rite and daily devotion to a patron/the kindreds.

Right now I pray and work on material for the Dedicant's Path and that's about it :/

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »

:

Hmm. This past month I've gotten my butt back into gear converning reading and studying some more about heathen gods, culture and practices.

I've left out offerings to my ancestors and landwights here at home. ( We also went camping and I offered to the landwight at the site and then the family and I picked up trash in the area.)

I had a good talk with my son about honor, community and responsibilty as it pertains to the heathen worldview- he wants to be a soldier.

I've been contemplating honor in my own life and the decisions that are best made with a heathen scope.

I watched TV, cooked dinner, cleaned and socialized. Which is my way of saying I've "practiced"  being heathen no matter what Im doing. ;)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21:58 pm »

My practices are framed around a rhythm of holidays and lunar observances.  

This past month I celebrated Ashuru 'Ari at the summer solstice and observed the new and full moon for the month of Gapnu.  I poured a libation to "the locals"- the spirits who dwell on my property and to Nikkal in thanks for the new fruit on my trees and vines.  I honored my recently deceased grandfather and added him to my ancestor shrine.  I burned incense several times for Astarte.  I visited a small shrine to Jizo in Tokyo as a sort of mini-pilgrimage to honor him.

Quite a busy month!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 12:31:19 am »

On the ninth of the lunar month, I offer wine, incense and flame to Dionysos. I'm also going to try and incorporate ecstatic dance as well.

On the 20th of the lunar month, I offer flame, incense, and a hymn to Anubis.

About once a month is my Cauldron Cill shift, where I keep a flame burning for Her. I haven't done much my last two shifts, but I usually feel the push to clean up my living space, which I think is a nudge from Her. I'm planning on doing more though. ... As soon as I figure out what. :D

Every Friday I offer flowers, incense, flame, and a Sapphian hymn to Aphrodite.

On the dark moon I go for a walk at night and leave an offering of garlic at the crossroads for Hekate, as well as recite the Orphic hymn for Her. I also ask for Her and Her Host to clear away the negativity of last month and leave it for Her Host to consume.

As of this month, I am also beginning to incorporate Feri practices into some sort of daily practice.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:56 am »
Quote from: IceAngie;1040
Well... my practice in the last month... I poured water for Neptune one day and... that's it.

Mostly non-existant. I'm not feeling well about that. I need to practice, but I don't know what to do. :( The things I used to do before seem to lack meaning right now, and I can't find any meaningful practice to worship my gods and goddesses these days.

Lack meaning, I hear that. I am in a practice funk and am not sure how to get out of it. The local pagan shop has started up a drumming circle I might give that a try.

Setnusutekh

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »
Jenett started this thread on the old board

Well, I think considering my confusion on the religion/deity front, these few weeks ahead will be spent getting to know other deities, and researching a whole lot of faiths and cultures, along with trying to keep my present deities in my life. So pretty much prayer, libations and a lot of experimenting...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:43:27 pm by Setnusutekh »
Hoping to learn more every day...and not get bored doing it :3
I\'m Trini to the bone! :D

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »

My practice has been minimal at best as I am mostly in maintenance mode.  However, I've made a commitment to ramp things up at Wep Ronpet...and I am now planning out exactly what I want/need to do.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Astani

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:42:22 am »

I've begun to recite daily hymns to a god each day. Sunday is for Apollo, Monday is for Artemis, Tuesday is for Ares, Wednesday is for Hermes, Thursday is for Zeus, and Friday is for Aphrodite & Eros.

I follow Hellenion's calendar and I offer libations to Olympian's during the second Saturday of each month. And this month is for Athena, so on July 9 I'm going to offer libations to her. I also try to observe some of the holidays in the calendar.

I'm about to offer a little sacrifice of laurel leaves to Apollo to thank him for a safe trip home from vacation.

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:35 am »
Quote from: Junex.php?topic=15741.0
on the old board and I'd really love to see it continued here.

For the past month or so for me it's been meditating more often, trying to remember to make offerings on regular intervals and reading about ceremonial magick.

Tags: