Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Catching a Non-Stop, Transatlantic Flight on a Songbird’s Back  (Read 2655 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Scientists have suspected that the blackpoll warbler—a small, 12-gram songbird—made non-stop migrations over open water to its winter habitats. To find out, ecologist Bill DeLuca and his team caught a flight on the birds by strapping small geolocators onto their backs. The researchers published their findings in the journal Biology Letters. DeLuca discusses just how far these birds journeyed.

Listen to the entire story here.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Catching a Non-Stop, Transatlantic Flight on a Songbird’s Back
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 05:56:26 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;173798

I do wish they had a transcript. I read so much faster than they talk.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;173810
I do wish they had a transcript. I read so much faster than they talk.

By your command.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tiny-songbird-flies-transatlantic-nonstop/
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:47 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;173798

The Blackpoll Warbler is well known to us East Coast birders; it's both loved and feared. Loved, because it's one of our complement of about 36 warblers, the stars of the spring songbird migration; feared, because when the blackpolls show up, you know it's the beginning of the end of the pageant (they have to travel so far, they're among the last ones to arrive).

I knew they traveled the farthest of our warblers, but I didn't know they do it in such big, non-stop leaps. But I think this may vary by population; the Vermont and Nova Scotia birds they studied may take that big leap, but there are definitely hoards of blackpolls that stopover in NYC, among other places.

Also, I think using the term "trans-Atlantic" is misleading, since most people associate that with crossing east-west (Old World to New World, or vice versa), not north-south, which is what's happening here.

I'm depressed to read about their decline. The drop in the numbers of our songbirds isn't news, of course...but still.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
Quote from: Altair;173812
The Blackpoll Warbler is well known to us East Coast birders; it's both loved and feared. Loved, because it's one of our complement of about 36 warblers, the stars of the spring songbird migration; feared, because when the blackpolls show up, you know it's the beginning of the end of the pageant (they have to travel so far, they're among the last ones to arrive).

I knew they traveled the farthest of our warblers, but I didn't know they do it in such big, non-stop leaps. But I think this may vary by population; the Vermont and Nova Scotia birds they studied may take that big leap, but there are definitely hoards of blackpolls that stopover in NYC, among other places.

I've been fortunate enough to see one...once.  Then again, I'm a casual border at best.  Mostly, I watch my feeders.

Also, I think using the term "trans-Atlantic" is misleading, since most people associate that with crossing east-west (Old World to New World, or vice versa), not north-south, which is what's happening here.

I'm depressed to read about their decline. The drop in the numbers of our songbirds isn't news, of course...but still.

I was a little annoyed by the trans-Atlantic label as well, even though it is "technically" accurate.  I did hear it before seeing the label, though - I'm a SciFri podcast addict.

Have you any tips for improving songbird habitat, other than providing water sources and nesting habitat?  I'm thrilled every time I see a new species in my yard - last year I saw my first ruby-throated hummingbirds and pileated woodpeckers.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:52:52 am »
Quote from: Altair;173811
By your command.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tiny-songbird-flies-transatlantic-nonstop/

Thank you very much, Altair. That was fascinating.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: