collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Church of All Worlds?  (Read 6089 times)

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Church of All Worlds?
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
I tried to use the search function but "Church of All Worlds" isn't a searchable term(too common, the engine told me).

So I'll ask here.  

Does anyone have experience with the Church of All Worlds?

I had something like experience with them when I lived in the deep south, but nothing that would make me say that I am any type of authority.

Are there any CAW members?  Are there any threads where people talked CAW to death that I couldn't find?  Is it heretical and awful to bring up CAW because of *insert reason here*?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Re: Church of All Worlds?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
Quote from: Ghost235;173627
I tried to use the search function but "Church of All Worlds" isn't a searchable term(too common, the engine told me).

So I'll ask here.  

Does anyone have experience with the Church of All Worlds?

I had something like experience with them when I lived in the deep south, but nothing that would make me say that I am any type of authority.

Are there any CAW members?  Are there any threads where people talked CAW to death that I couldn't find?  Is it heretical and awful to bring up CAW because of *insert reason here*?

I'm not gonna lie, my first reaction was "Is CAW still a thing?"
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:00:58 pm »
Quote from: Castus;173628
I'm not gonna lie, my first reaction was "Is CAW still a thing?"

That is totally a valid reaction and the answer is yes, yes they are.

After the whole internal "whatever it was exactly that happened" happened and the organization went bork at some point in 2005 they found out that the Church of All Worlds as an official entity wasn't as borked as they thought it was.

So, blah blah blah paperwork and the Church returned to the guy who founded it, Oberon Zell-Ravenheart.

Since then they have had a small presence at Starwood and a hospitality suite at Pantheacon and seem to have limited events mostly based around land in Mendocino County called Annwfn.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
Quote from: Ghost235;173627

CAW is still around, but hasn't been discussed much on TC in ages. There might be some discussion on our Old Message Board, but I'm not sure.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:16:24 am »
Quote from: RandallS;173681
CAW is still around, but hasn't been discussed much on TC in ages. There might be some discussion on our Old Message Board, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.  It looks like even back then there wasn't a whole lot other than acknowledging that it was out there.

I know that they are currently working on digitizing their archives(I volunteered to help edit said archives) so that might help.

I think that the core of the organization is pretty good with the water sharing and stuff like that, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the theology that makes them so vulnerable to organizational explosions and structural inefficiency.  I might start a topic to discuss my thoughts as I get more research done.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:09:32 pm »
Quote from: Ghost235;173702
I think that the core of the organization is pretty good with the water sharing and stuff like that, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the theology that makes them so vulnerable to organizational explosions and structural inefficiency.

I don't think there is anything specific in their theology that causes organizational problems -- such problems are common in most organized groups -- especially small religious groups.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:54 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;173710
I don't think there is anything specific in their theology that causes organizational problems -- such problems are common in most organized groups -- especially small religious groups.

That may very well be the case.  For the most part I have kept my distance from groups large and small with a few notable exceptions.  

I like the expression of not wanting to join any club that would have me as a member.  :P

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:32:35 am »
Quote from: Ghost235;173711
I like the expression of not wanting to join any club that would have me as a member.  :P

For the record, that particular Groucho Marx quote was made in response to him being invited to join some sort of organisation or social club which had anti-Semitic membership rules but wanted him to join anyway.  Basically it's an "Oh, you won't let me in according to the rules, but you'll let me in because I'm Groucho Marx?  Fuck off."
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 11:33:37 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;173769
For the record, that particular Groucho Marx quote was made in response to him being invited to join some sort of organisation or social club which had anti-Semitic membership rules but wanted him to join anyway.  Basically it's an "Oh, you won't let me in according to the rules, but you'll let me in because I'm Groucho Marx?  Fuck off."

Huh.  Very interesting!

Tags: