Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: So What Would Your Ideal Pagan Store Carry?  (Read 4824 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
So What Would Your Ideal Pagan Store Carry?
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
Something lighthearted to play with, really.

So I went out to try to snag ritual supplies today from the pagan/estoteric/new age shop downtown, and they had none of the things I needed.  And I really didn't expect they would (they do rocks, statues of popular gods, angels, and fairies, incense and oils, jewelry, oracle decks, and books, and I didn't need incense and oils) but I was in the area anyway so figured I might as well poke my head in.

But this of course raises the age-old question of what would the perfect pagan shop (for various of us) carry?

I was looking for cloth and cords (like one might use to make spell bags, say) and taper candles today.

Other things I've had call to be looking for somewhat recently in a religious or magical context include:

- loose herbs and incense resins
- twigs from specific trees
- non-standard statuary
- a tabletop fountain (that's a bit of a stretch, really, to keep a store specific, but I was looking for one!)
- bowls/plates suitable for offering bowls

(Okay, the set of shelves I got to put a shrine on is pushing it even more on the specific, but that's the other thing I needed recently.)

In the past I've snagged rocks, statuary, books, and cards from that sort of store; I'm not knocking those things being on sale at all, but... not what I need on a day to day basis!

So: what would your perfect pagan store sell?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: So What Would Your Ideal Pagan Store Carry?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:09 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;173475

Dried loose herbs
Essential oils (real oils, not aromatherapy or fake scents)
Tarot and other fortune telling cards
Altar cloths that don't have pentacles/pentagrams on them.
Books
Candles
Magic-making supplies

The old pagan store here used to sell dried herbs - they had giant jars of them and you paid by the scoop! They moved though and I think they downsized considerably.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:05 pm »

But this of course raises the age-old question of what would the perfect pagan shop (for various of us) carry?

I think there's a couple of different categories, for me.

1) Stuff that gets used up, and especially the stuff where I might like to see/touch/smell/check freshness myself.

Candles, in varying sizes and materials. Ideally some of the beeswax sheets for rolling, which are my fav method for magical candles without fussing.

I miss the herb wall at Magus Books a lot (it's still there, I'm nowhere nearby now). 200+ herbs for magical and medicinal use, well maintained so things were fresh. Which is a large enough selection that you can walk in and go "I want five or six different kinds of flower petals, what do you have?" or "I want to make ritual designs on the ground with things: what can I get that comes in powdered form that is these colours?" (Both of which I've done at various points.)

Variety of incense. Variety of oils

2) Things where getting them from other sources is sometimes a pain.

I was actually in the local quilting store to snag fat quarters for magical use today, but I'd love a Pagan store that had a range of fabric quarters (rainbow colours, either solid colour or the sort of prints you get by closely related colours blending during the dye process)

I would *adore* a Pagan store that had natural dyed fabric in the range of colours you could get from that.

Ditto for cords and/or other fiber suitable for ritual use.

Perhaps a collection of interesting beads and charms useful for ritual use. Stock like this is a little tricky, but it's possible.

The various small practical things. Candleholders for every size candle carried (and some others that might be retrofitted). Varying colors, so that people can put together elemental sets or find a color for a deity, or whatever.

3) Things I didn't know I wanted yet.

The stores I like best are the ones that take the general things (that you need to pick up from time to time) but also have other stuff, unique things.

I'd love a store that has unusual statuary - and that has a little sign saying "Not what you're looking for? We know a lot of other artists, come ask us."

I'd love a store that had a relationship with a local garden center or florist, so that either you could get seasonal plants in the store, or they could cross-advertise. (Want pine boughs? X garden center has them for $Y.) and then sell you things like a wreath frame or decorations or whatever.

Local honey.

Local and regional artists well represented, especially people who also do commission or personalised work. Especially for things like offering bowls or plates or incense holders or cloth.

A good selection of books, info about what's coming out in the next few months, etc. Not just the stock things that sell, but a copy or two of other things, the books you don't know you really needed for your next bit of study.

In my dream world, a really excellent Pagan store would also look at tying into existing local resources - perhaps a nature walk in a local state park, a trip to a local planetarium or observatory with people who can do a focused lecture/presentation, special tickets to art exhibits, things like that.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:14 pm »

Well, having any pagan shop nearby would be great to begin with. The New Age shops that prevail never have anything I want. Too many Buddhas and crystals. :/

What I'd ideally like a pagan store to carry would be all the stuff I can't get in mundane stores elsewhere. I usually pick up bowls and plates at op shops, and there's a good fabric shop near where I live that I get fabric, cord, and ribbon from. So they aren't hard to get.

Firstly, a range of stuff that isn't just for Wiccans, but also tailors to polytheists and druids and everyone else who practices other non-Wiccish forms of paganism. Because we exist, and we don't all need the same things.

A good range of statuary, from as wide a range of pantheons as possible. If they can't direct you to where to find a particular statue (because it doesn't exist, or they don't stock it, or know anyone else who stocks it, or you just don't like what they have), perhaps a 3D printer, and the capacity to design your own statues so you can customise them to your heart's content and get exactly what you want. With perhaps the option to have them hand-painted if you're not so good at that.

Ritual items, particularly athames, because we can't import them into Australia because customs, so. Also, chalices, wands, incense burners, altar cloths in a variety of Wiccish and non-Wiccish designs, pentacles/altar plates, offering plates and dishes, etc.

Cauldrons and other things to burn offerings in. Because they are big and heavy and shipping costs are ridiculous on those things. NGL, if I could get my hands on a big cauldron, I would part-bury it in the ground and burn offerings in it. But man, I do not want to deal with the shipping costs on one of those things. D:

Shrine/altar boxes, tables, cabinets, stands, etc. Because those are hard to find, and expensive to buy, and hard to ship, so. It'd just be nice to go into a pagan store and find a selection of shrine cabinets and boxes and stuff, with all kinds of different designs, because some of us worship the gods more than we do magic, and building shrines can be expensive and time-consuming if you can't find what you want.

A big selection of herbs and resins. I don't use them very much, but I probably would if I could easily acquire what I wanted and didn't have to worry about them potentially being held at customs. Proper essential oils.

A decent selection of candles, unscented and scented, in various shapes, forms, and lengths, in a good range of colours, so I could get exactly what I wanted, rather than shop around and get not quite what I was after but it will do until I find something else.

Actual tarot decks and rune sets, rather than just 1000s of oracle decks*. Tarot bags and rune bags and spell bags and other small bags made of various materials. All the tiny bags. A good selection of fabric, cord, and ribbon. * Look, I like oracle decks, I even own a few, but srsly, tarot decks exist, New Age Shop Who Will Remain Nameless. *glares*

Also, if they stocked oak and elm and ash and willow and all those traditional European woods, I would be pretty happy, because those are hard to find in Australia. Could be branches or disks to turn into runes or whatever. It's not that Australian native woods don't do any good, but they don't always work as substitutes.

Anyway. I think that's about it. There is a dearth of pagan shops in Australia, so I buy more online than I would if I had a shop to go to instead. All I have are thousands of Buddhas and crystals and other New Age stuff. :/
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:20 pm »

There have been many great ideas already -- especially for items that aren't Wiccish and don't have pentacles on them.  ;-)

Something I'd really love for pagany stores to NOT do: Burn so much incense that I literally can't go into the store.

I can no longer shop in the one local pagany store, since I get a killer migraine every time I walk in.  :-(
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:37:09 am »

Off the top of my head:

• Twigs and shavings from assorted trees and shrubs would be nice. It's annoying how much space my stockpile takes up in the shed.
  • Kits for making your own divination sets: blank staves, blank stones, blank card sets. Maybe offer workshops in conjunction with the kit-selling.
  • Wooden wall and table shrines. Failing that, sell plans or flat-pack DIY kits.
  • Candlemaking supplies that don't revolve around paraffin. Some of us prefer stearin, beeswax, and/or soy wax.
  • Natural soaps with formulations for uncrossing, purifying, etc that clearly list their ingredients.
  • Seamstressing services for ritual-wear. Perhaps laundering services for ritual-wear as well...or agreements with a sympathetic laundry service.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:25 am »

So I went out to try to snag ritual supplies today from the pagan/estoteric/new age shop downtown, and they had none of the things I needed.  And I really didn't expect they would

Our only shop is aimed at new age type items nothing special run of the mill stuff.

Things I would like to buy:
incense resins, different types of copal, opoponax, etc
beeswax and candle molds for votives
spell candles in all sorts of color hues:)
fresh flowers, fresh plants, greenery...
woods, wood shavings, small branches, etc from north american trees
herbs from all countries
handmade soaps
handmade perfumes and perfume oils
quality essential oils and carrier oils in small sizes of 50 ml
pagan foods like sweets, candy, moon cookies etc
incense sticks in all scents
nice bottles and jars in colored glass
Ball crystal canning jars in small sizes
inks and parchment papers in small sizes

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
Quote from: Allaya;173499
Off the top of my head:

• Twigs and shavings from assorted trees and shrubs would be nice. It's annoying how much space my stockpile takes up in the shed.
  • Kits for making your own divination sets: blank staves, blank stones, blank card sets. Maybe offer workshops in conjunction with the kit-selling.
  • Wooden wall and table shrines. Failing that, sell plans or flat-pack DIY kits.
  • Candlemaking supplies that don't revolve around paraffin. Some of us prefer stearin, beeswax, and/or soy wax.
  • Natural soaps with formulations for uncrossing, purifying, etc that clearly list their ingredients.
  • Seamstressing services for ritual-wear. Perhaps laundering services for ritual-wear as well...or agreements with a sympathetic laundry service.

Me too! Anything of or related to nature that I can't get from my own backyard ^-^
I talk to plants.

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:51 am »

So I went out to try to snag ritual supplies today from the pagan/estoteric/new age shop downtown, and they had none of the things I needed.  And I really didn't expect they would (they do rocks, statues of popular gods, angels, and fairies, incense and oils, jewelry, oracle decks, and books, and I didn't need incense and oils) but I was in the area anyway so figured I might as well poke my head in.

I was looking for cloth and cords (like one might use to make spell bags, say) and taper candles today.

Other things I've had call to be looking for somewhat recently in a religious or magical context include:

- non-standard statuary
- a tabletop fountain (that's a bit of a stretch, really, to keep a store specific, but I was looking for one!)

(Okay, the set of shelves I got to put a shrine on is pushing it even more on the specific, but that's the other thing I needed recently.)

In the past I've snagged rocks, statuary, books, and cards from that sort of store; I'm not knocking those things being on sale at all, but... not what I need on a day to day basis!

Incense, candles, oils--I use them up, and always need more, and a lot of times just end up getting them from a big box store (incense and candles) or ordering them online (oils--I'm a BPAL junkie), and it would be handy to be able to find them locally at a small business. I moved a few years ago from a town where there were at least some head shops to a town without.

Statuary is great too--it's pretty, and sometimes I really do need/want a new image of a deity for my altar. And tarot decks. I get most of my decks anymore from a tarot-only vendor who comes to the nearby SFF convention.

Non-Llywellyn-101 books. My kingdom for a store that didn't just sell the same 5 books.

The coolest thing I ever got from a pagan store and didn't know I needed, was a huge black brass candleholder in the shape of a gate. It makes a great symbolic portal for all kinds of things, and is quite the conversation piece.

I also kind of wish there could be...less pseudoscience? This is a tricky one, because I know a lot of the stuff I believe in isn't scientifically supported, and where do you draw the line between Good Woo and Bad Woo? But I've seen a few stores that, probably because the pagan stuff doesn't make enough profit on its own, go in for things like ear candles. It probably isn't realistic to wish this stuff away, but you did say our perfect store! ;)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:13:19 pm »
Quote from: Gaudior;173502
Me too! Anything of or related to nature that I can't get from my own backyard ^-^

This is very high on my list!

If all things were possible, I'm imagining a giant store, with all kinds of different sections.  I'd love to have a plants and animals section, with cuttings (both fresh and dried), bits of fur and other animal leavings (a variety of eggshells would be nice).  

Definitely a statuary section, with books of artists who's work you could order (kind of like tattoo books, you can browse through and pick something you like or find an artist who's style you like and then contact them through the store for a custom piece)

A crafting supply section, with natural fibers and cordage as well as other such things.

Furniture!  From altar tables to meditation mats/pillows to wall hangings.  And definitely a variety of styles from plain to ornate.

And little isles for various tradition specific stuff.  So you might have a Wicca isle, but you might also have a Heathen isle or a Santeria isle.

Clothing and jewelry.  Again, more than just pentacles and fairy stuff.

The sad fact is I end up picking up almost all of my supplies at non-Pagan stores, and not just because the nearest Pagan store is a 30 minute drive, but also the prices are typically at least double what you would pay at a non-Pagan store.  Polished rocks are a perfect example.  We actually have a lot of rock stores in my area (there is a road nearby with probably 10 different rock stores plus a bunch of little roadside stands within a mile stretch of road), and I can buy three of the same kind of stone from them for the price I would get one at the Pagan store.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:40 am »

This might not quite be what was intended but here it is.

I'd like for my perfect pagan store to sell hot tea and have comfy couches so people can not only buy stuff(and they should buy stuff) but also gather with other Pagans for "coffee talk".

My favorite Pagan stores(and the ones that I spent STUPID amounts of money at) had exactly that.  

Also small bowls, very old things, and stuff from extremely obscure types of Paganism so that I can get turned on to ideas that I would have never have heard about otherwise.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:38 pm »

There is a lot of things here that people have posted that I would love to see. My own little list is, and pardon me from using some stuff that others listed:

-Essential oils (real oils, not aromatherapy or fake scents).

-Tarot and other fortune telling cards.

-Altar cloths that don't have pentacles/pentagrams on them.
Candles.

-loose herbs and incense resins.

-non-standard statuary.

-bowls/plates suitable for offering bowls.

-Wooden wall and table shrines. Failing that, sell plans or flat-pack DIY kits.

-Kits for making your own divination sets: blank staves, blank stones, blank card sets. Maybe offer workshops in conjunction with the kit-selling.

-Books, and not just the standard 101 stuff. I'd want sections with books on actual history and anthropology for a variety of polytheist cultures, sections with grimoires and things of the left-hand path.

-Bones that are animal, human, and fossil. Also pelts would be good as well.

-Jars and bottles in various shapes, glass colors, and sizes

-Inks, parchments, and perhaps workshops on how to do your own ink
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:39 pm »
Quote from: SerpentineSorcerer;173572
-Books, and not just the standard 101 stuff.

This. Very much this. The one New Agey, trying to be Pagan shop near me has shelves full of books but not one of them is geared towards the more advanced. Or even the non-New Age people.

I'd also want to see some loose herbs and space to sit and talk. Maybe a back room for ritual, one that could be rented out by members of the community?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:08:29 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 02:30:51 pm »

- non-standard statuary

Mine would have to have a good range of incense - I like my incense. Also both tea light and taper candles in a range of colours. Lots of books more than just your average Wicca 101 and new age books. It would also have to have a nice range of non - Wiccan merchandise particularly Celtic and Native American. Also some decent meditation CDs, drumming for example. Non of this "imagine you are floating on a cloud" rubbish! :)
It would also be nice if they sold live plants and herbs or linked up with a garden centre who did.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 02:57:31 pm »

This isn't something to sell, but it would be cool if the store had a service to receive a package from a mail-order supplier or independent artist (of course only for things the store itself didn't stock or have available to order).

I don't have a secure place to receive packages at my apartment, and I'd rather not raise eyebrows at my office. I'd happily pay a small fee if the shop could hold a package for pickup (and I'd be likely to impulse-buy a few small items when I went to retrieve it).
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: