Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Djehuty as a father figure? How to give thanks to Thoth?  (Read 3461 times)

SigmundFreud'sMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Djehuty as a father figure? How to give thanks to Thoth?
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:03:32 pm »
I've been having these dreams and reaching out to the Gods lately, with some quite gratifying experiences, but today's experience made me break down into tears.

I have never had a father-figure before, I am a care-giver to my father who has always been ill in my life. I also want to get work in the Mental Health field (I struggle with mine sometimes and I want to help others find clarity). Last night I had a dream about death and I woke up feeling sad. I wanted to know who has been giving me these dreams lately, I had researched Djehuty before but I sort of pushed him aside. I have spent at least two months researching and trying to figure out my dreams. I never realized that he was pushing me towards gaining more knowledge about the community/him. My patience was wearing thin because I wasn't getting results.

However, today something just clicked. Instead of calling him Thoth I pronounced his name in the Egyptian form Djehuty and I got shivers/chills. I knew it was him. Then I had a vision of a warm/old/comforting voice saying that he was always there for me and that I never needed a father figure because he has been there for me pushing me along the way. Whether it be pushing me for further education, safety or getting help for my mental health he was there. I just never realized it.

Needless to say, I broke down in tears and I want to thank him. Does anyone else have this experience with him? Also, does anyone have any advice on how to work with him or give him praise/thanks? Thank you all for reading this.

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Djehuty as a father figure? How to give thanks to Thoth?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »
Quote from: SigmundFreud'sMom;173315
Needless to say, I broke down in tears and I want to thank him. Does anyone else have this experience with him? Also, does anyone have any advice on how to work with him or give him praise/thanks? Thank you all for reading this.

The Egyptian gods were, historically, often addressed and honoured in parental terms, at least by some of their worshippers.  (All those Egyptian names that end in -mose?  That's 'son'.  So Thutmose is a Hellenised version of 'Djehwty's son'.)  If he's presented himself to you as a father figure, then addressing him as "My father" is entirely appropriate and also in keeping with ancient forms of worship.

All the Egyptian gods appreciate offerings of clean water, incense, bread, and flame; if you offer foodstuffs, consider it a shared meal and eat the bread (or whatever) afterwards.  For Djehwty in particular, time spent on writing-related things - learning calligraphy, say - or mastering intellectual skills would also be a means of honouring him.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SigmundFreud'sMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:43:55 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;173316
The Egyptian gods were, historically, often addressed and honoured in parental terms, at least by some of their worshippers.  (All those Egyptian names that end in -mose?  That's 'son'.  So Thutmose is a Hellenised version of 'Djehwty's son'.)  If he's presented himself to you as a father figure, then addressing him as "My father" is entirely appropriate and also in keeping with ancient forms of worship.

All the Egyptian gods appreciate offerings of clean water, incense, bread, and flame; if you offer foodstuffs, consider it a shared meal and eat the bread (or whatever) afterwards.  For Djehwty in particular, time spent on writing-related things - learning calligraphy, say - or mastering intellectual skills would also be a means of honouring him.

Thank you so much, for all of your post (: I don't really like incense though. Multiple people recommend it because the Gods/Goddesses enjoy it but it bothers my asthma for some reason. Is there anything I can do besides incense? I usually burn candles because it doesn't trigger my asthma as much. I am very grateful that you gave me a quick response. I have decided to write him a poem or possibly a letter giving him my thanks. I hope he will smile upon this.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »
Quote from: SigmundFreud'sMom;173317
Thank you so much, for all of your post (: I don't really like incense though. Multiple people recommend it because the Gods/Goddesses enjoy it but it bothers my asthma for some reason. Is there anything I can do besides incense? I usually burn candles because it doesn't trigger my asthma as much. I am very grateful that you gave me a quick response. I have decided to write him a poem or possibly a letter giving him my thanks. I hope he will smile upon this.

Not a Kemetic, but also asthmatic. People have already suggested some other options to try, but my own tradition has two stages of ritual where I really need to use incense, and so I've explored a bunch of options. (Obviously, do what you need to do for breathing. It is hard to do meaningful ritual observances when you can't breathe.)

- I've found that how I react depends a lot on the type of incense. In general, I react much less to high quality handmade sticks based on actual herbs, rather than those that rely on perfume oils. The cheap stuff is usually cheap because it uses less high quality materials.

(Brands I've had a good time with: Devonshire, Fred Soll's, there are lots of others. Fred Soll's is very resinous, and I usually only burn a third of a stick at once)

- There are specific things I'm much more reactive to than others: I usually react better to the resins in moderation than floral scents. Sandalwood, patchouli, and jasmine tend to be things I need to test carefully.)

- The tiny little Japanese incense sticks are very finely ground and often don't trigger people when larger sticks or loose incense sometimes do. (Shoyeido is a widely available US brand).

- Lighting incense briefly (a minute or two in a well-ventilated room) is sometimes an option when longer isn't.

- My allergies in general are much better when I am running an air filter (or a fan that filters), and this makes using incense easier.

- For some uses (this doesn't solve my trad's ritual needs, but does solve some other uses), some people find that either using an oil warmer (a few drops of essential oil or perfume in a little water, warmed underneath using a tealight) or applying perfume to themselves or a small square of cloth that they wave in the air are ways to include scent or the effects of incense without having anything burning.

There are a number of natural and ritual perfumers out there - Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab is one of the more widely known ones, and Etsy has a number of people doing interesting things.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SigmundFreud'sMom

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:01:01 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;173316

I ended up setting a sort of shrine to him. I made a chai tea latte, I lit candles on either side of the cup, I put down my eye of horus neckles and my ankh necklace, and I also put down one of my most prized written pieces I have done. I believe he was satisfied with this. I researched him and learned he likes chai tea and coffee so I mixed the two. (: I know he was said to be a "trickster" God, but I see him more as a tester. He will test one to see how one reacts. I like this quality and I plan on working with him more (:

Tags: