collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Alcohol in practice  (Read 3019 times)

deadlynightshade

• View Profile
Alcohol in practice
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »
What could I use for a daily blot instead of mead? I have a few months yet before I'm of legal drinking age, so I can't use anything alcoholic. I'm struggling to decide whether it would be more appropriate to simply wait until I turn 18, or whether I should find an alternative. Opinions?

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Alcohol in practice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:14:43 pm »
Quote from: deadlynightshade;173294
What could I use for a daily blot instead of mead? I have a few months yet before I'm of legal drinking age, so I can't use anything alcoholic. I'm struggling to decide whether it would be more appropriate to simply wait until I turn 18, or whether I should find an alternative. Opinions?

You can't go wrong with milk, or just fresh water.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:51:46 am »

Don't wait, use milk or water as Chatelaine said. Fruit juice, sparkling cider. If it's for Thor, goat's milk might be good.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:52:22 am by Jainarayan »

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:48:38 pm »

I also agree with milk. Depending on the purpose, milk and honey could be good as well. If you want to use juice, apple cider might be ideal... although whatever you think / have available could work too.

(And welcome to TC!)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:49:13 pm by Hyacinth Belle »
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »
I like the apple cider and the goat milk suggestions. I think even a nice tea or coffee would work. As long as it comes from your heart. :)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:34:38 am »
Quote from: journeyintoinsanity;173552
I like the apple cider and the goat milk suggestions. I think even a nice tea or coffee would work. As long as it comes from your heart. :)

Hi, Journeyintoinsanity! Welcome to TC!

Please review TC's rules, which require you to quote in all posts. Even if you're making a general post to the thread, please quote the original post.

P.S. Love your avatar. ;)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:57 pm »
Doh! I'll remember next time. (Hopefully I did it correct here. I'm new to this.)
And thanks!:)

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:35 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;173567
Hi, Journeyintoinsanity! Welcome to TC!

Please review TC's rules, which require you to quote in all posts. Even if you're making a general post to the thread, please quote the original post.

P.S. Love your avatar. ;)

Quote from: journeyintoinsanity;173570
Doh! I'll remember next time. (Hopefully I did it correct here. I'm new to this.)
And thanks!:)
Dadgumit! Now, I think I've got it! Sheesh! :)

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »

One thing that may be interesting to try is to add prayers to the very good suggestions that have already been made.

With this you would get a big jug of water/tea/coffee/whatever and spend a good amount of time saying a short prayer* either gotten directly from the Eddas or pretty close in "feel" over the jug.  

This would have the benefit of being a sacred activity which brings you closer to the Gods in and of itself and allow you to have something that you can use over and over again(depending on how you ration it a good sized jug can last awhile).

Just make sure that whatever it is you use is something that doesn't spoil.

*For example, you could use the drinking praise from the Sigrdrífumál around 1000 times.

Heilir æsir!
    Heilar ásynjur!
    Heil sjá in fjölnýta fold!
    Mál ok mannvit
    gefið okkr mærum tveim
    ok læknishendr, meðan lifum

or, in English,

Hail to the gods!
    Ye goddesses, hail,
    And all the generous earth!
    Give to us wisdom
    and goodly speech,
    And healing hands, life-long.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:12:04 pm »
Quote from: journeyintoinsanity;173571
Dadgumit! Now, I think I've got it! Sheesh! :)

You got it! :)

deadlynightshade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

OP here. (I can't figure out how to multi-quote different people in one post. Is that possible?)

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I've decided to use milk with honey, partially because I like to spend a little time on preparation. However I'll definitely keep in mind the other suggestions as well! :)

(I also really like Ghost235's suggestion. Whilst at the moment I think I'll stick to milk, that's something I think I'll probably revisit and try at some point in the future.)  

Thanks again!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »
Quote from: deadlynightshade;174171
OP here. (I can't figure out how to multi-quote different people in one post. Is that possible?)

(And, helpful - I hope - staff person here :)) It is, but we generally prefer that you make each reply separately (unlike many other forums, we don't object to doubleposting), since in most cases, that's the approach that makes the conversation easiest to follow.

Very occasionally, the replies one is making to two (or more) different posts are so closely connected that separate responses would make less sense than multi-quoting. For those cases, the multi-quote is right next to the 'reply with quote', labelled with a quotation mark and a plus sign - use it to mark all but the last of the posts you're responding to, then use the usual 'reply with quote' for the last one, and all the selected posts will be in your reply box. (This is a time when it's especially important to trim quotes to just the bit you're responding to - also, to be especially careful not to trim out any of the code, and to make sure it's clear which quoted bit came from which post. This is part of why we discourage multi-quoting in most cases: it requires a lot more care and attention to make sure it conforms fully to our quoting rules and the purpose behind them.)

One of the (rare) cases in which quoting isn't required is for a general thank-you to all who responded. That would actually apply in the case of your post, except for singling out Ghost235's response - so what you could have chosen to do was select that as the post/quote to hang your otherwise-general reply off of. (The way you did do it is also fine, though!)

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

lizcommotion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:51 pm »

Milk, juice, water -- everything people have suggested sounds fine.

Just wanted to add that even when you turn 18, mead doesn't have to be part of your daily spiritual practice.

Especially if alcoholism runs in your family, as it does in mine. Or if you take medications that do not agree with alcoholism, as I do. Or if you simply prefer not to.

If you ever get to a point where your body is a bit cantankerous and alcohol is not a good idea, then it would be to your benefit to say not need to rework your daily ritual to remove the mead. Also to your benefit so that it doesn't feel "off" or "less than" to do it at times when you really want a clear head.

People did lots of things 1000 years ago that we don't do exactly the same today, so I find it okay to modify rituals to meet my own needs -- like alcohol at some times, and not others. You are totally free to do what works for you.

I know this was not your original question and I hope the moderators don't mind that I'm mentioning it.

Tags: