[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Lada  (Read 3770 times)

Mana Æ Varyl

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Lada
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:34:58 pm »
Hiya! (^_^) /

In my studies of Slavic deities, I have been drawn to the Goddess Lada. Probably because she presides over love and the sense of beauty. The concept of divine love I have been drawn to since my studies of Indian spirituality in college. Giving and receiving love to and from the Gods has become very meaningful to me and has filled an emptiness I have felt. With such devotion, Lada has given me great comfort to guide me in my journey for meaning to my life.

One aspect I have read though is that Lada is also seen as the Goddess of Creation. To quote an article from Meet the Slavs ( http://meettheslavs.com/world-ancient-gods-slavic-goddesses/ )
"Lada is the Slavic goddess of creation, considered to be the mother of all gods. She patronizes over love, youth, joy and harmony and is a symbol of beauty and order. In the place where she is, there is warmth and comfort, a feeling of you are “home”. The goddess is depicted as a woman in the prime of life and full bodied, symbol of mature motherhood."

Although I have read the like elsewhere and I am naturally drawn to Lada being a/the creator as well as a provider of love, harmony, comfort, etc.  and seemingly my patron deity. I have also read that Rod and Swaitowid are deities of creation. I have thought on this and come to a few possible conclusions. Maybe the deities are equally responsible for creation or each created different aspects of existence, like maybe Rod created the world and Lada created the soul/spirit. Or Perhaps Lada is indeed the mother of the Gods and the other Gods helped her with creation. Or as my studies of Hinduism might suggest, all the Gods are just aspects of the same Divine anyway and thus it is irrelevant which one believes to be the creator.

These are just different ideas that have come to mind. I have found it is difficult to get much more info on Lada and other Slavic deities or any definitive answers, especially from English sources. While I am learning Polish and have access to some translated sources, I was wondering if anyone else here may have more info/sources or if anyone on the Slavic path may have any wisdom on this matter.

Slava!
-Mana

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Lada
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »
Quote from: Mana Æ Varyl;173280
Hiya! (^_^) /

In my studies of Slavic deities, I have been drawn to the Goddess Lada. Probably because she presides over love and the sense of beauty. The concept of divine love I have been drawn to since my studies of Indian spirituality in college. Giving and receiving love to and from the Gods has become very meaningful to me and has filled an emptiness I have felt. With such devotion, Lada has given me great comfort to guide me in my journey for meaning to my life.

One aspect I have read though is that Lada is also seen as the Goddess of Creation. To quote an article from Meet the Slavs ( http://meettheslavs.com/world-ancient-gods-slavic-goddesses/ )
"Lada is the Slavic goddess of creation, considered to be the mother of all gods. She patronizes over love, youth, joy and harmony and is a symbol of beauty and order. In the place where she is, there is warmth and comfort, a feeling of you are “home”. The goddess is depicted as a woman in the prime of life and full bodied, symbol of mature motherhood."

Although I have read the like elsewhere and I am naturally drawn to Lada being a/the creator as well as a provider of love, harmony, comfort, etc.  and seemingly my patron deity. I have also read that Rod and Swaitowid are deities of creation. I have thought on this and come to a few possible conclusions. Maybe the deities are equally responsible for creation or each created different aspects of existence, like maybe Rod created the world and Lada created the soul/spirit. Or Perhaps Lada is indeed the mother of the Gods and the other Gods helped her with creation. Or as my studies of Hinduism might suggest, all the Gods are just aspects of the same Divine anyway and thus it is irrelevant which one believes to be the creator.

These are just different ideas that have come to mind. I have found it is difficult to get much more info on Lada and other Slavic deities or any definitive answers, especially from English sources. While I am learning Polish and have access to some translated sources, I was wondering if anyone else here may have more info/sources or if anyone on the Slavic path may have any wisdom on this matter.

Slava!
-Mana

Not on the Slavic path, and most of my (limited) knowledge is from reading up on it some years ago for a presentation, but my first thought is that these deities come from a pretty big geographical area that wasn't completely homogeneous. So you could have one subgroup who believed this god created the universe, and another who thought this other god did. Plus, there is limited information, a lot of it distorted, and different scholars might infer different things from it.

Bratumila

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Lada
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:37:55 pm »
Quote from: Mana Æ Varyl;173280
Hiya! (^_^) /

Slava!
-Mana

Slava,
you can believe in anything you want because to be perfectly honest there is not much knowledge about Slavic gods, thanks to fanatics of certain religion. Lada is believed to be the goddess of love - that is correct, but not motherhood and creation. The Mother goddess in Slavic pantheon is Mokosh. She is Mother Earth to Slavic people, the Nature, She bears life of this plane in Her womb to be born when spring comes.
As for creation of the world, according to the legend, it was created by Svatnevit(or Perun in some versions) and Veles.
There is no main god in Slavic religion because every region worshiped different god from Slavic pantheon as their patron, as their main god, for example Veles in Silesia, Triglav in Pomerania and so on.
If you have any questions I'll happily share what I know

Tags:

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 234
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal