Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015  (Read 16119 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:27:57 pm »
It's been a while since we've done this, and with the punishing winter in the East of North America keeping many of us indoors and inactive, as spring finally arrives I thought now might be a good time to see who wants to commit to a healthy challenge for Spring 2015.

The idea is:

• to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

HINT: Pick a goal that's specific, measurable, and attainable

• beginning with the impending equinox, strive for achieve your goal by the solstice on June 21
  • update us here in this thread periodically on your progress
I think we pagans sometimes don't spend enough time keeping ourselves in better shape; we'd rather curl up with a good esoteric tome than do dumbbell curls. So let's buck the trend--and no, everyone doesn't have to turn into gym rats (though if that's your calling, as it is for me, then cool); just pick a goal that's appropriate for you and your lifestyle and what you want to achieve health wise.

Who's with me?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:45:16 pm by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Healthy Challenge--Spring 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »
Quote from: Altair;172734

announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

I'll lead off, since the brutal weather has wreaked havoc on my usual aerobics regimen, leading to some winter weight gain:

By June 21, I will be back down to a 32-inch waist.

And at age 52, that's pushing the boundaries of "achievable" that this thread demands. But dammit, I'm going for it!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

The idea is:

*to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

• beginning with the impending equinox, strive for achieve your goal by the solstice on June 21

I want to get my former (1 year ago) strength back and improve on, esp. upper body strength. I'm talking MUSCLES. I want to feel that solidness in my calves again. :)

The Solstice sounds good to me. Hopefully by then, I'll also be moved out, so that will help.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
Who's with me?

I'm leery of setting myself up to fail, but maybe what I need is a little bit of encouragement and accountability.

I'm planning to work on my arm strength. I need to get a pair of weights, but, once I do that, there's really no excuse for not using them while watching TV.

Unless one of the cats needs my lap, of course! I do have responsibilities, you know.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »

Who's with me?

Im in!

I have more than one goal - hope that's ok!

- cement my new workout routine of getting up early on week days to work out and add walks as the weather and kids allow.

- keep my eating habits under control. Let go of the junk food that makes me feel so rubbish but I eat anyway.

- lose 1 stone.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
Who's with me?

At least once a week, go somewhere other than work, on either my bicycle or rollerblades.  I have a tendency towards being a social-hermit as well as a bit of a computer-potato, so.

Fortunately the weather here has been a bit kinder than back East *fingers crossed*
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:25 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;172806
I'm planning to work on my arm strength. I need to get a pair of weights, but, once I do that, there's really no excuse for not using them while watching TV.

You can start with canned goods!  I'm not even joking.

(I am such a spaghetti arms that I couldn't do reasonable reps with a three pound weight when I started, so I'd sit and pump soup while reading usenet.  And got muscle definition out of it.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:39:44 am »

just pick a goal that's appropriate for you and your lifestyle and what you want to achieve health wise.

While I'm going to keep my rule of "allowed to smoke proper rollups rather then e-cigs at RPG/LARPs in the pub (which is five times a month), I am going to stop allowing that to mean "deliberately buy enough tobacco so that stretches over a 3-4 day period" and move back to e-cigs the rest of the time.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:25 am »
It's been a while since we've done this, and with the punishing winter in the East of North America keeping many of us indoors and inactive, as spring finally arrives I thought now might be a good time to see who wants to commit to a healthy challenge for Spring 2015.

The idea is:

• to announce a health and/or fitness goal in this thread, so that we can all hold each other's feet to the fire and offer tips and encouragement

I think we pagans sometimes don't spend enough time keeping ourselves in better shape; we'd rather curl up with a good esoteric tome than do dumbbell curls. So let's buck the trend--and no, everyone doesn't have to turn into gym rats (though if that's your calling, as it is for me, then cool); just pick a goal that's appropriate for you and your lifestyle and what you want to achieve health wise.

Who's with me?
- Stop eating so much junk food (mainly sugary goodness) and start eating healthy. I used to eat so much better but moving into my own apartment has completely destroyed that aspect. We're now all too broke to enjoy any kind of fresh food.

- Lose my "3 months pregnant" tummy. I'm not nor have ever been pregnant, so this really digs into my self-esteem when friends and family ask if I'm "expecting."

- Actually get fit so I don't huff and puff climbing one flight of stairs. I live on the second floor. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is.

And my boyfriend is working on losing weight/getting in shape, too, so we're actually kinda helping each other. Kinda being the key word.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »

The idea is:

Who's with me?

I'm game! I'd like to create a habit of doing a fifteen minute workout every day- or at least six days a week. I refuse to do anything Sunday- that's the day I allow myself to forget the world.

Not quite sure how I'll measure the goal out at the solstice. Maybe I'll create a work-out calendar- that could be fun.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:33:05 pm by Lana288 »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:47:05 pm »

Who's with me?

That’s excellent, Queen of Wands, Aster, Rocquelaire, Amphibian, Darkhawk, Jabberwocky, Missgraceless, and Ian288! (Darkhawk, I didn’t see a personal goal in your post, so I’m not sure if you’re joining us or not…) We still have a few days before our official kickoff of the March 21 equinox, so we’ll see who else signs up by then.

In the meantime, this thread is already keeping me honest. I had some cottage cheese and a handful of peanuts when I got to the office today—my usual mid-morning snack—and I was about to grab a second handful of peanuts, but then I remembered my pledge here to tame my waistline, and I passed.

So here’s to this effort having the desired effect on everyone!

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 02:50:28 pm »

The idea is:

Who's with me?
Swimming once a week, every week.

It might not seem like much, but it takes a lot out of me (and is exercise that I very badly need, not getting any other).
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »

Who's with me?

Aw, hell, I'm in.  

My personal goals:

1) Get back into the habit of regular exercise by hitting the gym no less than 3 days a week.  
2) Been eating too much fast food and junk.  Need to reduce that, if not cut it out entirely.  So, between the equinox and solstice I will banish all such crap from my diet.  
And each time I fall off the wagon, I must make up for it with an extra trip to the gym.  

That oughtta do it.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:42 pm »
Who's with me?

Oh, this sounds fun. Honestly, I just want to get into the habit of exercising regularly. Not necessarily going to the gym regularly, just finding the time and motivation to work out 3-4 times a week.

Also, I want to get into hiking again, or at least biking.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 09:49:28 am »

Who's with me?

I am!

Increased workload and typical student's income means I haven't been able to make it to yoga classes in several months, and that's not likely to change, so I need to drum up the discipline to keep up a consistent home practice.

My goal for the particular time period is logging at least 30 hours of practice. That's an average of 20 minutes a day. It's doable... right?
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tags: