Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Offerings to Khthonic deities  (Read 2858 times)

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Offerings to Khthonic deities
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:52:00 am »
I'm not a reconstructionist, but I tend to begin with a historical basis whenever possible.

I know that offerings to Khthonic deities were customarily deposited onto/into the ground as they were made, which poses a bit of a problem for me: I make daily offerings to Persephone (or try to), but I live in an area where I can't just go outside and pour out a glass of wine every night.

For the past few years I've been getting around that by collecting previous offerings in a separate glass and then emptying it onto the ground when I'm able to, which seems to be working, but I was curious about whether this is something that other people have dealt with before.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

the_raven

Re: Offerings to Khthonic deities
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:09:48 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);172651
I'm not a reconstructionist, but I tend to begin with a historical basis whenever possible.

I know that offerings to Khthonic deities were customarily deposited onto/into the ground as they were made, which poses a bit of a problem for me: I make daily offerings to Persephone (or try to), but I live in an area where I can't just go outside and pour out a glass of wine every night.

For the past few years I've been getting around that by collecting previous offerings in a separate glass and then emptying it onto the ground when I'm able to, which seems to be working, but I was curious about whether this is something that other people have dealt with before.

What kind of area prevents you from giving libations? :confused:
Personally, I haven't had this problem because where I live, there's plenty of open ground, even if I live on the 6th floor, I can always go out (especially if it's at night). How about getting a pot of soil and pouring libations into it, and changing the soil every now and then?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Offerings to Khthonic deities
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:17:07 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);172651
I know that offerings to Khthonic deities were customarily deposited onto/into the ground as they were made, which poses a bit of a problem for me: I

I agree with The Raven: A flower pot filled with soil can be used indoors, and the soil dug into the ground somewhere a few times a year (more often in summer, otherwise insects could become a problem). Libations to Horkos is an even greater problem for urban flat-dwellers.

Tags: