collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Strange presence in in-laws home.  (Read 1982 times)

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Strange presence in in-laws home.
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:39:44 pm »
Hello everyone!

I wanted to get some opinions on something that has been going on for a very long time:

My in-laws live in a very large home not to far from the site of several civil war battles.  The house was also once home to an Elvis memorabilia collection as well.  When I first met my husband I began to hear stories about the 'presence' in the home.  Apparently it is mostly centered in a room upstairs that no one will use anymore and is not used for storage.  

The history of the room is that my husband used to stay in it as a child from about 12-15 years old.  He had multiple experiences of the door opening and closing even after it was locked, the light turning on or off, the fan speeding up and slowing down, feeling something pressing down on him while he slept, shadows moving, and being chased my shadow manifestations.  No one, even skeptics will stay in this room or even enter it.

I have had a few personal experiences of a lesser degree in the main house including moving shadows shaped like people, the feeling of being watched, and severe cold spots.  Other family members have seen figures moving past door ways when no one was in the home.  Dogs in the house tend to growl at corners for no apparent reason as well.  The most disturbing is when my sister in law babysits and children seem to watch invisible people walk by, talk to them, or ask 'who is that?" when no one is there.

The main reason I am asking is because my in-laws are selling the house in a few months and I am feeling weird about letting some other unsuspecting family buy the house and potentially have the same experiences.  My husband's experiences as a child were extremely traumatic for him and he is the kind of man who is really afraid of nothing and super grounded.  I am wondering if it is immoral of me to do nothing in regards to this even though I am worried about the next family that buys this house.  

Should I try and sage the home (all 7000 square feet of it)?
Maybe do a cleansing?  I am lost and worried about doing the right thing without interfering in my in-laws ability to sell their house.  No one has ever been physically harmed, I am more worried about the children that may move in and have the same things happen to them, no one should feel afraid in their own home.

Thanks so much for reading and any insight!

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Strange presence in in-laws home.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:23:11 am »
Quote from: SilverSpring;172420
Hello everyone!

I wanted to get some opinions on something that has been going on for a very long time:

My in-laws live in a very large home not to far from the site of several civil war battles.  The house was also once home to an Elvis memorabilia collection as well.  When I first met my husband I began to hear stories about the 'presence' in the home.  Apparently it is mostly centered in a room upstairs that no one will use anymore and is not used for storage.  

The history of the room is that my husband used to stay in it as a child from about 12-15 years old.  He had multiple experiences of the door opening and closing even after it was locked, the light turning on or off, the fan speeding up and slowing down, feeling something pressing down on him while he slept, shadows moving, and being chased my shadow manifestations.  No one, even skeptics will stay in this room or even enter it.

I have had a few personal experiences of a lesser degree in the main house including moving shadows shaped like people, the feeling of being watched, and severe cold spots.  Other family members have seen figures moving past door ways when no one was in the home.  Dogs in the house tend to growl at corners for no apparent reason as well.  The most disturbing is when my sister in law babysits and children seem to watch invisible people walk by, talk to them, or ask 'who is that?" when no one is there.

The main reason I am asking is because my in-laws are selling the house in a few months and I am feeling weird about letting some other unsuspecting family buy the house and potentially have the same experiences.  My husband's experiences as a child were extremely traumatic for him and he is the kind of man who is really afraid of nothing and super grounded.  I am wondering if it is immoral of me to do nothing in regards to this even though I am worried about the next family that buys this house.  

Should I try and sage the home (all 7000 square feet of it)?
Maybe do a cleansing?  I am lost and worried about doing the right thing without interfering in my in-laws ability to sell their house.  No one has ever been physically harmed, I am more worried about the children that may move in and have the same things happen to them, no one should feel afraid in their own home.

Thanks so much for reading and any insight!

Well the bottom line is you can't really guarantee anything for anybody that moves in. However, it's obvious it's in an historic area so maybe someone will buy because of that and won't mind. Also, I've found that often it's the kind of people who live in a place who will determine the 'haunt ratio' This is just my informal observations but there are some 'not very sensitive to this kind of thing' people that wouldn't 'feel' or be aware of a presence if wrapped itself in the drapes and did the fandango in front of them. Some people are warm and welcoming and sometimes that's enough to quiet things down.

Also, you didn't mention how your husbands parents reacted to this or if he told them. I have lived in places that were simply teeming with 'happenings' ( an old house in Scotland was very 'active') but my child and I shared our awareness of it with each other and worked through it ( it was not a , hmm, 'pleasant' activity but in hindsight, I think 'confused' would be closer to the mark). I tried a couple of approaches and one finally worked and my child felt safe . One, because I did not doubt or downplay his fears and two , because we worked together on it until we found an answer. So people like that may move in. Children are almost always the first ones to notice, it's true. But it's always important for the people to acknowledge that something is going on or it gets bigger, if only in people's minds, because it gets mixed up with people's fears and worries so every little thing takes on more importance than it warrants.

I can't really tell from your description what 'kind' of phenomenon are playing about there . But there is no one good answer. For all the crap T.V. shows about such things, I believe they are highly individualistic and it's not easy to figure out what's going on let alone stopping it.

But again, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing, even for kids. So do what you think might lighten it up a bit , like smudging, and hope that the interesting vibe of the house attracts easy going people who don't mind.

You can't carry that kind of responsibility so...don't. There are probably lots of other 'active' places around there and you're not responsible for them, are you? Even if children are involved. Heal as you find and let it go.

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:43:23 am »
Quote from: carillion;172423
Well the bottom line is you can't really guarantee anything for anybody that moves in. However, it's obvious it's in an historic area so maybe someone will buy because of that and won't mind. Also, I've found that often it's the kind of people who live in a place who will determine the 'haunt ratio' This is just my informal observations but there are some 'not very sensitive to this kind of thing' people that wouldn't 'feel' or be aware of a presence if wrapped itself in the drapes and did the fandango in front of them. Some people are warm and welcoming and sometimes that's enough to quiet things down.

Also, you didn't mention how your husbands parents reacted to this or if he told them. I have lived in places that were simply teeming with 'happenings' ( an old house in Scotland was very 'active') but my child and I shared our awareness of it with each other and worked through it ( it was not a , hmm, 'pleasant' activity but in hindsight, I think 'confused' would be closer to the mark). I tried a couple of approaches and one finally worked and my child felt safe . One, because I did not doubt or downplay his fears and two , because we worked together on it until we found an answer. So people like that may move in. Children are almost always the first ones to notice, it's true. But it's always important for the people to acknowledge that something is going on or it gets bigger, if only in people's minds, because it gets mixed up with people's fears and worries so every little thing takes on more importance than it warrants.

I can't really tell from your description what 'kind' of phenomenon are playing about there . But there is no one good answer. For all the crap T.V. shows about such things, I believe they are highly individualistic and it's not easy to figure out what's going on let alone stopping it.

But again, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing, even for kids. So do what you think might lighten it up a bit , like smudging, and hope that the interesting vibe of the house attracts easy going people who don't mind.

You can't carry that kind of responsibility so...don't. There are probably lots of other 'active' places around there and you're not responsible for them, are you? Even if children are involved. Heal as you find and let it go.

Thanks for the response.

Honestly his parents mostly ignored it and locked their bedroom door so that he couldn't wake them up at night.  His mother is clearly aware of what is going on but refuses to verbal acknowledge it even though she refuses to go in the room and has admitted to seeing things even though she wont say they are paranormal, she has even shared stories about children seeing things that she cant see. Your child is so lucky to have you there to work through things for them.  

And I'm not even going to mention being jealous that you live/lived in Scotland! :eek:

I am not sure if it is just an echo or an intelligent type of haunting but I know that I do not like to be in the house alone but have no problem walking my land in the pitch dark alone.

Could there be any harm in doing a smudging/blessing just for my own piece of mind?  I certainly don't want to stir anything up or bring anything home with me (If that's even possible).

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:16:23 pm »
Quote from: SilverSpring;172424
Thanks for the response.

Honestly his parents mostly ignored it and locked their bedroom door so that he couldn't wake them up at night.  His mother is clearly aware of what is going on but refuses to verbal acknowledge it even though she refuses to go in the room and has admitted to seeing things even though she wont say they are paranormal, she has even shared stories about children seeing things that she cant see. Your child is so lucky to have you there to work through things for them.  

And I'm not even going to mention being jealous that you live/lived in Scotland! :eek:

I am not sure if it is just an echo or an intelligent type of haunting but I know that I do not like to be in the house alone but have no problem walking my land in the pitch dark alone.

Could there be any harm in doing a smudging/blessing just for my own piece of mind?  I certainly don't want to stir anything up or bring anything home with me (If that's even possible).

I think if 'it' was something that could attach itself to people it would still be bothering your husband (and you by extension):eek:.

I can't see where any harm would come from you doing a few things :) .  And it's been my (albeit limited) experience that if you are doing something the, er, inhabitants don't like, they'll let you know.

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:27:17 pm »
Quote from: carillion;172456
I think if 'it' was something that could attach itself to people it would still be bothering your husband (and you by extension):eek:.

I can't see where any harm would come from you doing a few things :) .  And it's been my (albeit limited) experience that if you are doing something the, er, inhabitants don't like, they'll let you know.

Thanks!  I will at least do a smudging, for my own piece of mind after they declutter the house so I can get into all of the rooms.

I will let you know how it goes.

Tags: