Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Help with finding my path  (Read 2296 times)

lulabell

• View Profile
Help with finding my path
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:56:28 am »
Good Morning everyone.

I am asking for some advice in finding my path.  I have been brought up a Catholic but have never connected with it.  I am 31 years old now and trying to find my way.  I find myself increasingly drawn to paganism.  I have been doing some research and feel I fit in quite a bit with naturalistic paganism but there are some parts that also don't quite connect with me.  It was suggested that I write down my current beliefs and that then my path would become more apparent but unfortunately I am no closer to finding my specific path.  I wonder if I write down my beliefs here that someone may be able to point me in the write direction?  I hope I don't offend anyone with this list; that is not my intention.  I am just here to learn and grow.  Many thanks in anticipation!

- I don't really believe in any sort of god/goddess.  To me nature and the universe are god if that makes sense.
- I believe in energy and vibrations affecting us.
- I believe in some form of afterlife/reincarnation based on energy - we are all made of energy and I believe that energy continues in some form after we die.
- I am unsure about magick and rituals as I don't know enough about them.  I do believe that what you put out into the universe comes back to you.
- I believe in aromatherapy and alternative medicines and choose these over modern medicine whenever I can.
- I am most at peace in nature; whether it be in a forest or staring at the ocean or night sky.
- I am in awe of the stars, the moon, planets and the vastness of the universe.  I also feel the moon governs my mood and state of mind a lot.
- I believe in meditation and mindfulness.

Many thanks again for any help or guidance.:):)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding my path
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:26 am »
Quote from: lulabell;172343
Good Morning everyone.

I am asking for some advice in finding my path.  I have been brought up a Catholic but have never connected with it.  I am 31 years old now and trying to find my way.  I find myself increasingly drawn to paganism.  I have been doing some research and feel I fit in quite a bit with naturalistic paganism but there are some parts that also don't quite connect with me.  It was suggested that I write down my current beliefs and that then my path would become more apparent but unfortunately I am no closer to finding my specific path.  I wonder if I write down my beliefs here that someone may be able to point me in the write direction?  I hope I don't offend anyone with this list; that is not my intention.  I am just here to learn and grow.  Many thanks in anticipation!

- I don't really believe in any sort of god/goddess.  To me nature and the universe are god if that makes sense.
- I believe in some form of afterlife/reincarnation based on energy - we are all made of energy and I believe that energy continues in some form after we die.
- I am unsure about magick and rituals as I don't know enough about them.  I do believe that what you put out into the universe comes back to you.
- I believe in aromatherapy and alternative medicines and choose these over modern medicine whenever I can.
- I am most at peace in nature; whether it be in a forest or staring at the ocean or night sky.
- I am in awe of the stars, the moon, planets and the vastness of the universe.  I also feel the moon governs my mood and state of mind a lot.

I could be wrong, and others may have better answers, but it almost sounds like Animism to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

lulabell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:57:32 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;172370
I could be wrong, and others may have better answers, but it almost sounds like Animism to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Thank you for your input.  I will go do some research!

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 11:05:22 am »
Quote from: lulabell;172372
Thank you for your input.  I will go do some research!

I hope it helps. ;)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:48:32 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;172370
What little I do know about Animism, I'd have to agree.

But I'd also like to point out that you don't NEED a label on your beliefs. I know what I believe in, and some of it lines up with Buddhism, but I don't call myself a Buddhist. The only reason (to me) we try to label ourselves is to find others in a similar situation. Example: I'm a cisgendered bisexual/biromantic female, and there are countless other cisgendered bisexual/biromantic females out there, but to me, and most others who meet me, I'm just Sasha.

(Sorry if none of this makes sense, I'm fighting a combination cold and allergy attack.)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:05 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;172378
But I'd also like to point out that you don't NEED a label on your beliefs. ...  The only reason (to me) we try to label ourselves is to find others in a similar situation. ...

Booyah!  :)

lulabell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:23:30 pm »
What little I do know about Animism, I'd have to agree.

But I'd also like to point out that you don't NEED a label on your beliefs. I know what I believe in, and some of it lines up with Buddhism, but I don't call myself a Buddhist.

Thank you for your reply.  I've read up a little on animism and I'm not sure, I don't feel inanimate objects have souls so to speak, I feel everything has its place in the universe though...

I too feel a pull towards Buddhism.  I suffer a lot from anxiety and I use a lot of Buddhist rules and quotes to keep me grounded - my favourite being 'rule your mind or it will rule you' and I feel the Dalai Lama speaks a lot of sense.  From my research so far I feel I'm eclectic at the moment - part naturalistic or pantheist maybe, part Buddhist.  I have a lot of reading to do me thinks.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:10:10 pm by SunflowerP »

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:23:07 pm »
Good Morning everyone.

When I first began to explore paganism I had the same worries and questions.  What WAS I?

Well I kept getting the same advice: "Read, read, read, learn, seek".  This frustrated me because I wanted an answer dang it!  However I soon discovered that there is no answer to that question.  

I started reading everything I could get my hands on in relation to every different type of religion, belief, thought, and action regarding Paganism.  I still don't have a label for myself but I know what I believe and I continue to learn and grow every day.

I guess if you HAVE to put a label on it I would call myself and Eclectic Pagan because I believe in my own unique path.

Good luck and Blessed be!

StagTracker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 06:48:08 pm »
But I'd also like to point out that you don't NEED a label on your beliefs.

I'll support this as well.  I've been exploring my Pagan path for a little over a year and am just starting to get away from the need to use a handy label other than "eclectic."  For myself it's been a little challenging because I started with ADF druidry because there is a local protogrove.  I've been doing that and I stay with the group because it is a wonderful group of people, but the ADF "rules" definitely don't quite jive with me.  I put them in quotes because ADF takes the stance of laying things out a certain way for public ritual, but you can do whatever you want outside of that.  The main conflict for me is I can't lead ritual and honor deities that I've simply pulled off of a list of deities appropriate to a certain high day.  Well, I can, but then I'm not leading from a place of deep authenticity.

At this point I'm reading stuff from Wicca (with respect to the broad sense of the word), Feri, and other druidic groups like the Reformed Druids of Gaia (a bit too much emphasis on naturism, polyamory, and pot for me, but still some good info here and there) and narrowing down those areas to read deeper and those that don't quite resonate.  But, overall, "eclectic Paganism" is the best label if I have to use one for the sake of conversation.

My point being, I think it's natural to want to be able to name our path early on, but there's really no need.  Read and explore and let your practice evolve as you discover what and who resonates with you.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:32:30 pm »
Good Morning everyone.

While similar to some degree to animism, another theology that fits with your stated beliefs could be pantheism or panentheism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism The article might be a little cut and dry, but it's quite flexible in regards to beliefs.

Gabriel

• View Profile
    • http://gabrielcassata.tumblr.com
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:33 am »
But I'd also like to point out that you don't NEED a label on your beliefs.

This simple phrase was a bit of a breakthrough for me.

Like the OP, I have been struggling to define my beliefs and worldview for more than a decade. I have always been drawn to paganism and have been on a journey of solitary study in the hope that some aspect of the broader pagan faith would wholly apply to me. Sadly, I always seem to reach a point of frustration where I can't find an authentic connection to key components of any one particular tradition or path. What I failed to realize is that it's not necessary to label my beliefs. Just the acceptance that my individual journey is not easily defined... and that's OK. I will continue to grow and learn every day and wherever I end up is where I was meant to be :)

Thank you!
my Art & Illustration portfolio

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:18 pm »
Quote from: Gabriel;178160
This simple phrase was a bit of a breakthrough for me.

Like the OP, I have been struggling to define my beliefs and worldview for more than a decade. I have always been drawn to paganism and have been on a journey of solitary study in the hope that some aspect of the broader pagan faith would wholly apply to me. Sadly, I always seem to reach a point of frustration where I can't find an authentic connection to key components of any one particular tradition or path. What I failed to realize is that it's not necessary to label my beliefs. Just the acceptance that my individual journey is not easily defined... and that's OK. I will continue to grow and learn every day and wherever I end up is where I was meant to be :)

Thank you!
I'm glad I could help, even however slightly. I did the same thing for a while, trying to find one specific path (of course, my first bite from the Pagan Pie was Silver Ravenwolf, so... yeah.) but finally settled on "eclectic pagan" because nothing else fit.

And since I've started, my path has also changed immensely. The only thing I'm sure of right now is my devotion to Quan Yin and being drawn to Chinese culture. So I'm saying it again, you don't need labels.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:08:43 pm »
I wonder if I write down my beliefs here that someone may be able to point me in the write direction?  I hope I don't offend anyone with this list; that is not my intention.  I am just here to learn and grow.  Many thanks in anticipation!

Have you considered Stoicism? Zeno, Cleanthes, Chaeremon of Alexandria and Marcus Aurelius were Stoics.

Have you read Ralph Waldo Emerson? He, and some of his friends, are sometimes called the Transcendentalists, and were some sort of Pantheists.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:59:51 pm »

When I think again, Druidry of the OBOD type may or may not be what you are looking for. It is very non-dogmatic and inclusive, but Nature, meditation and mindfulness are certainly important. Rituals are a part of what is done. When my finances are better, I will probably sign up for OBOD's course by mail, myself. If you don't like Welsh mythology, these are not the Druids you are looking for. (I couldn't avoid that Star Wars joke)

Slightly more tongue in cheek is RDNA. Its central ritual, Waters of Life, is open for any interpretation, and from what I read about this loose network (organization is probably not the best word) I have the impression that impersonalist Pantheists like you are welcome. I wish RDNA existed in Sweden.

I doubt that it is suitable for you as a final destination, but perhaps you would like to be informed about the content of Vedanta philosophy, for which, take a look here:
http://www.vedanta.com

It doesn't anyhow harm to know that it exist.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:01:56 pm by RecycledBenedict »

theharmoniouscrow

• View Profile
    • http://theharmoniouscrow.com
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 11:09:21 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;178194
I'm glad I could help, even however slightly. I did the same thing for a while, trying to find one specific path (of course, my first bite from the Pagan Pie was Silver Ravenwolf, so... yeah.) but finally settled on "eclectic pagan" because nothing else fit.

And since I've started, my path has also changed immensely. The only thing I'm sure of right now is my devotion to Quan Yin and being drawn to Chinese culture. So I'm saying it again, you don't need labels.

I second Gabriel on this: Your comment about not needing a label for your belief... a bit of a "huh. yeah. that's totally true" moment for me as well. I'm very new to the path. Very new to all of this - desperately trying to find MY path... and if it means a mix of things, as long as it works... that's what is the path for me!

Thank you!
And thank you to the OP for their original post, as it was quiet personal, so it took trust to post it.
"It\'s often a person\'s mouth that broke their nose." - Old Irish saying.

Tags: