Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Mythology Taken Literaly?  (Read 4076 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Mythology Taken Literaly?
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
Hey :) I have a serious question. I was reading mythology of deities and was wondering are those stories suppose to be taken literaly? Or were those our ancestors and different cultures ways of expressing them selves to the divine? I am asking this because I always wonderd are they suppose to be taken as real? cause the keyword was "Myth" but dont know if its a repesentation? Or maybe it depends on the person you ask? So basically my question is: Is the mythology set for diferent gods taken literaly? or are they a way to understand the divine more. Thanks :)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Mythology Taken Literaly?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »
Quote from: addy;17214
So basically my question is: Is the mythology set for diferent gods taken literaly?

Is the Bible taken literally by anyone who isn't an idiot?

Why would other mythologies differ?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:42:17 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;17216

True :P

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »
Hey :) I have a serious question. I was reading mythology of deities and was wondering are those stories suppose to be taken literaly? Or were those our ancestors and different cultures ways of expressing them selves to the divine? I am asking this because I always wonderd are they suppose to be taken as real? cause the keyword was "Myth" but dont know if its a repesentation? Or maybe it depends on the person you ask? So basically my question is: Is the mythology set for diferent gods taken literaly? or are they a way to understand the divine more. Thanks :)

Catja has an awesome bit about mythic truth that's floating around somewhere on the archived forum.

My own take is that myths have stuff in them for a reason. Sometimes that's a teaching lesson of some kind (this is what we do in this culture, this is what we don't do) that is mostly about people, not about the Gods.

But sometimes, especially if you see the same thing popping up over and over again, I tend to think there's a reason for that. Don't seek to go travel to the Underworld/place where dead people live without really good reason: there are lots of potential consequences. Certain kinds of relationships with Gods are prone to particular dangers, and better you should understand what those are in advance. Societies tend not to understand mystics, but there's stuff you can do that make it less likely you'll be torn to pieces by an angry mob. Gods are complicated in all the ways people are complicated, and then some. Don't make assumptions.

Those things, they all have Truth in them. It's just not necessarily fact-based truth, any more than the things we learn from being a friend, a daughter or son, a sibling, a parent, or whatever is 'factually based truth'. (It is, and it isn't, and the bits that matter the most usually aren't the facts anyway: it's our experience of the facts in context.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:25 am »
Quote from: Jenett;17220
Catja has an awesome bit about mythic truth that's floating around somewhere on the archived forum.

I believe you mean this.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:50:33 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;17300
I believe you mean this.

Sunflower

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »

Yes and no.

In Norse mythology you have a lot of talk about trolls, which we would say don't literally exist. But they do, if you know what a troll is. A troll is an unknown, a troll is a danger, a threat, something wild.

I have trolls where I live. Estrella mountain is in my backyard and it has its fair share of legends. There's Montezuma's treasure, the more modern Lights Over Phoenix, chupacabra, and even a cousin to Big Foot. There is something out there that terrorizes people beyond the border of civilization. Its the very definition of Troll.

And, just like the myths, when it becomes identified as a prankster, coyote or whatever else, then it'll stop being a troll. It'll have a name.

The thing to remember is that most folk-religions dealt with the observable world. Whatever they saw and experienced, we see and experience, too. They just understood it differently/ or in a context that we've moved away from.

So, no, its not literal as in trolls are hairy, three-eyed beasts. But, yes, in the sense that what they described is literally all around us, we've just forgotten the language.

Eta: this doesn't necessarily hold true for world-rejecting religions or mystery religions in which the teachings impart wisdom that is unobservable/ separate from the present reality.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:58:28 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Mythology Taken Literaly?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:57 am »
Hey :) I have a serious question. I was reading mythology of deities and was wondering are those stories suppose to be taken literaly?

No easy answer for this one. Let me try from a Hellenic standpoint. Myths, in the olden days, were mostly used to transfer messages beyond the actual story of the myth. Even now, many Hellenics take the myths of our Gods and use them to understand the Theoi better (as they do speak of Them and give a glimps into their day-to-day life) but it doesn't stop their. We study the hymns, archeology and the many epithets of our Gods to get to know Them. Myths help, but even way back when, they weren't taken literally.

An example; Greek myth featured a lot of rape. Gods like Apollon, Hermes, Dionysos and Pan are famous for chasing Nymphs. Yet, these Gods were revered side by side with Nymphs in the ancient temples and they did so amiably.

So the myths can be an inspiration, but they're not to be taken literally. Rape didn't mean rape as we know it; often it was the transferance of divinity or a blessing. Quite a different meaning.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:40:25 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;17216

Stern, but very true. I don't mind too badly if someone takes their mythology literally, but most do not. Especially in modern Paganism.

Tags: