Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: What's the view on equality?  (Read 32607 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: What's the view on equality?
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2015, 08:44:30 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177565

The problem with debate is that "these things are wrong wrong wrong - now prove to me they're not" doesn't leave any room for debate.  It comes across as "hey, assholes, prove to me you're not an asshole".  Which ... doesn't leave a lot of room for actual discussion, really.

As far as the peach - you're saying the only consequences that you care about are the ones to you.  But there are /other consequences/.  Someone is out a peach, you have turned into a thief, you've caused someone some level of difficulty ... Just because the consequences don't affect /you personally/ doesn't mean they don't exist.

I mean - I do not want to be the kind of person that steals food from other people.  That is a consequence that would happen from food-theft, regardless of anyone else knowing it was me.  I don't want to be that person, and /that consequence/ would stop me regardless of ALL OTHER things.

"is this the person I want to be" could probably sum up most of my ethical standards.  Which - really, is pretty damn strict.  There's a LOT of places I don't want to end up.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2015, 10:22:31 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;177584
The problem with debate is that "these things are wrong wrong wrong - now prove to me they're not" doesn't leave any room for debate.  It comes across as "hey, assholes, prove to me you're not an asshole".  Which ... doesn't leave a lot of room for actual discussion, really.

Normally I would agree with you. However, when the argument I'm responding to is: "people are assholes so I'm fine choosing to let a stranger die", I don't feel wrong in pointing out that that is also asshole behavior. (For those just joining us, that wasn't the argument initially made on this forum, this forum is just where I addressed my reaction to that.)

As far as the peach - you're saying the only consequences that you care about are the ones to you.  But there are /other consequences/.  Someone is out a peach, you have turned into a thief, you've caused someone some level of difficulty ... Just because the consequences don't affect /you personally/ doesn't mean they don't exist.

I didn't say that was all I cared about. I was just describing the types of consequences  that exist and how they are applied. (I don't steal peaches either, btw. It was just an analogy. ;))

I mean - I do not want to be the kind of person that steals food from other people.  That is a consequence that would happen from food-theft, regardless of anyone else knowing it was me.  I don't want to be that person, and /that consequence/ would stop me regardless of ALL OTHER things.

"is this the person I want to be" could probably sum up most of my ethical standards.  Which - really, is pretty damn strict.  There's a LOT of places I don't want to end up.

I think you think I'm saying that personal (and it'd probably be good to add internal) consequences don't exist. I'm simply saying that they don't exist without humans applying and imposing them on themselves and others.

A child raised by wolves is not going to learn from the natural, physical world that he shouldn't kill or that he would be a murderer. The natural, physical world is full of animals killing each other all the time over food, mates, and basic survival. He would learn from people that it's not ok to kill for food or a mate.

I'm saying that those consequences do exist but they rely on people to exist. They do not exist naturally. So if people don't apply and impose ethics on each other (children, spouses, coworkers, communities) then there wouldn't be any ethics or ethical consequences

(None of what I'm saying here is a judgement call on the personal ethics you've shared with me, either.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:24:28 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177586

I think you think I'm saying that personal (and it'd probably be good to add internal)

Someone sent me this after it was posted yesterday. Thought those who participated here might get a chuckle out of it.

existential comics
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:28 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;177922
Someone sent me this after it was posted yesterday. Thought those who participated here might get a chuckle out of it.

existential comics

The punchline reminds me of the old cliche, "why won't you tolerate my intolerance".

In that it implies that Relativist Character is being hypocritical for (1) stating that morals are a matter of opinion, and then (2) acting according to his own opinion.

It implies that the only possible reason for someone to support a moral position is because they consider it objectively True, and the only possible reason to object to a moral position is because it is objectively false.

In the situation in the comic, when Relativist Character objects to Moral Realist Character's behavior, it is not necessarily because that behavior is objectively Wrong; it could be that he finds such behavior unpleasant, or because his culture regards such behavior as improper.

Quote from: comic

If we say that morals are merely opinions, we are basically saying that no world is better than any other world

No, we are saying that we can't formulate a single definition of "better" in this context.

It would mean there was no difference between suffering and happiness

Or, that there isn't an objective definition of 'suffering' and 'happiness'. Also, false dichotomy.

When I say "The greatest happiness for the greatest number of people is the only moral good," my statement is either true or false, just like most other statements.

Or partly true, sometimes true, ambiguous, paradoxical, metaphorical ... there are a lot of things a statement can be, between and around "true" and "false".

I really don't think formal true/false logic is an adequate tool for thinking about morality. *goes off to look for resources on polyvalent logic*.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #349 on: July 29, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;177966
Or partly true, sometimes true, ambiguous, paradoxical, metaphorical ... there are a lot of things a statement can be, between and around "true" and "false".

"All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." - Principia Discordia
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 30, 2015, 02:32:57 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;17796

No, we are saying that we can't formulate a single definition of "better" in this context.

One isn't trying to find the single definition of "better". One is trying to find the most plausible definition. Any given definition of "better" may be correct, but not for any given scenario.

The comic is right, any time you try to define a "better" inclusive of every possibility and opinion, the argument becomes nonsensical.

I really don't think formal true/false logic is an adequate tool for thinking about morality. *goes off to look for resources on polyvalent logic*.

This is why we've discussed truth-value. Logic in morality isn't used to judge the content of an argument, but to find contradictions within the argument's premise. If a moral premise contradicts its moral conclusion then it just isn't a valid argument. This doesn't tell us if the the moral belief is possible or impossible, correct or incorrect, but if the argument for it is reasonable or unreasonable.

Not that reason should be the only determining factor of a thing's value, but I think it's better to include it then to leave it out altogether. ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:41:45 am by Juniperberry »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:04 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;177966

Nor do I.  But then, as a relativist, I wouldn't.

Nicely said.  I'd be interested in any sources you find, btw.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;177985
Nor do I.  But then, as a relativist, I wouldn't.

Nicely said.  I'd be interested in any sources you find, btw.

Fuzzy logic is just allowing for truth values that are any real number between 0 and 1, instead of truth values that can only be 0 or 1.

The active people in this thread have already discussed multiple times that we're talking degrees of truth and not absolute truths. It probably needs to be said:  do not conflate a comic (jest, humor, satire) with the actual position of the people you are interacting with in this thread.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:04 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178015
do not conflate a comic (jest, humor, satire) with the actual position of the people you are interacting with in this thread.

I am aware, and was responding to the comic specifically as a way of articulating my own position.

The way that comic presented the argument just bugs me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;177985
I'd be interested in any sources you find, btw.

Likely (one of) my next research projects; I'll share results on the board when/if I find any.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2015, 08:16:39 am »
The active people in this thread have already discussed multiple times that we're talking degrees of truth and not absolute truths.

Another issue to consider some statements can be true or false depending on other circumstances. For example is it true that the speed of light is 299,792.458 km/s? That statement is true if the light in question is traveling through a vacuum, but false if it is not -- the speed of light is slower in other substances, water (or even air) for example. In the real world whether a statement is true or false varies with conditions/environment.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 02, 2015, 09:08:35 pm »
Fuzzy logic is just allowing for truth values that are any real number between 0 and 1, instead of truth values that can only be 0 or 1.

Bolding mine. Fuzzy logic is a lot more complex than that. It also allows for things like a statement having more than one value simultaneously, or contradictory statements having the same value.

And that's when it's being used in computing; I was using 'polyalent logic' in the sense that Hornung uses in the book The One and the Many, to talk about the apparent contradictions in Egyptian mythology.

Quote from: RandallS;178092
In the real world whether a statement is true or false varies with conditions/environment.

Or, indeed, on the location of the observer, as in general relativity. IMO, discussing the 'most plausible' form of morality is rather like looking for the center of the universe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 02, 2015, 10:38:10 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178126
Bolding mine. Fuzzy logic is a lot more complex than that. It also allows for things like a statement having more than one value simultaneously, or contradictory statements having the same value.

And that's when it's being used in computing;

No?

0 represents absolutely false while 1 equals absolutely true. Using these symbolic expressions in place of words helps avoid the breakdowns and confusion of ordinary language, and is a pretty standard  tool of philosophy.  

Or, indeed, on the location of the observer, as in general relativity. IMO, discussing the 'most plausible' form of morality is rather like looking for the center of the universe.

That's like saying since the center of the universe is relative to where you are, there's never a point of reference to determine which direction is east or west of you. Which we know to be false.

Absolute values are those points of reference.

Moral relativism is the belief that there are never absolute values. Let's take this into consideration: a parent ought to care for the basic needs of their child. From this point of reference, a parent tries to find the best possible way to live up to that value. Moral relativism would say that it is neither right nor wrong if a parent does or does not care for their child.

Because moral relativism does not exist in the middle ground between 0 and 1. Moral relativism rejects the idea that there is a 0 and 1 (and everything in between) altogether. A true relativist is a nihilist.

Moral realism doesn't reject the idea that there is a space between 0 and 1, because no sane person would. Anyone who accepts even just the space between is someone using the framework of moral realism.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2015, 11:30:11 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;178127

I'm going to actually pull up some definitions of some terms, because I think it is worth stopping with the conflating of different positions on the nature of morality.

Moral Relativism (or Ethical Relativism) is the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect objective and/or universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal circumstances. It does not deny outright the truth-value or justification of moral statements (as some forms of Moral Anti-Realism do), but affirms relative forms of them.

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_relativism.html

Moral Realism (or Moral Objectivism) is the meta-ethical view (see the section on Ethics) that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception of them or our beliefs, feelings or other attitudes towards them

From http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_realism.html

Moral Absolutism is the ethical belief that there are absolute standards against which moral questions can be judged, and that certain actions are right or wrong, regardless of the context of the act. Thus, actions are inherently moral or immoral, regardless of the beliefs and goals of the individual, society or culture that engages in the actions. It holds that morals are inherent in the laws of the universe, the nature of humanity, the will of God or some other fundamental source.

From http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_absolutism.html

Ethical Subjectivism holds that there are no objective moral properties and that ethical statements are in fact arbitrary because they do not express immutable truths. Instead, moral statements are made true or false by the attitudes and/or conventions of the observers, and any ethical sentence just implies an attitude, opinion, personal preference or feeling held by someone. Thus, for a statement to be considered morally right merely means that it is met with approval by the person of interest. Another way of looking at this is that judgments about human conduct are shaped by, and in many ways limited to, perception.

From http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_ethical_subjectivism.html

Moral Nihilism is the meta-ethical view (see the section on Ethics) that ethical claims are generally false. It holds that there are no objective moral facts or true propositions - that nothing is morally good, bad, wrong, right, etc - because there are no moral truths (e.g. a moral nihilist would say that murder is not wrong, but neither is it right).

It differs from Ethical Subjectivism, and Moral Relativism, which do allow for moral statements to be true or false in a non-objective sense, but do not assign any static truth-values to moral statements.

From http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_nihilism.html

I think that covers everything that's come up in the thread.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2015, 12:30:11 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;178128
I'm going to actually pull up some definitions of some terms, because I think it is worth stopping with the conflating of different positions on the nature of morality.

It would be more helpful to me if you would say what you think I'm conflating exactly. Basic definitions of terms does not equal the arguments for and against those terms.