Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Which beers do you offer?  (Read 4176 times)

Sunshine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Which beers do you offer?
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
This is a silly and whimsical post preceding a Friday trip to the liquor store, but it also does have some spiritual substance, cross my heart!

The traditions I'm most familiar with seem to come from a place of consensus on offerings, and that place is "beer is good." But it's a wide and wonderful world out there, full of all kinds of beer (and harder liquor!) So my question to you is: are there specific beers (or other beverages) you tend to offer? Does this match up with your personal drinking preferences? Religious traditions? UPG?

I'm a cider or ale drinker myself, and so my offerings have tended to come in the form of "a bottle of whatever's in the fridge." But as I'm looking into deeper practice, I would love to hear other people's processes!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Which beers do you offer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:25 am »
Quote from: Sunshine;171843
This is a silly and whimsical post preceding a Friday trip to the liquor store, but it also does have some spiritual substance, cross my heart!

The traditions I'm most familiar with seem to come from a place of consensus on offerings, and that place is "beer is good." But it's a wide and wonderful world out there, full of all kinds of beer (and harder liquor!) So my question to you is: are there specific beers (or other beverages) you tend to offer? Does this match up with your personal drinking preferences? Religious traditions? UPG?

I'm a cider or ale drinker myself, and so my offerings have tended to come in the form of "a bottle of whatever's in the fridge." But as I'm looking into deeper practice, I would love to hear other people's processes!

This is a topic near and dear to my heart! I'm not particularly knowledgeable on different types of alcohol and their tastes myself. I take medication for depression that affects how my body processes alcohol, meaning I can, have, and will get very tipsy from one bottle of beer. But I've slowly been experimenting because I not so secretly want to be a beer snob, and generally I think it's important that I know what I'm offering before I give it to the gods.

I tend to go with my gut when browsing liquor stores or the beer/wine aisle at Kroger. When I was working with the Gaelic gods I settled into a routine of offering Brighid some Bailey's Irish Cream, Manannan a bright electric blue liqueur called Hpnotiq, and the Morrigan a glass of dark red wine. Aengus at one point got a mini bottle of cinnamon schnapps called Hot Stuff! because I thought it was funny. (And He agreed!)  

Nowadays I don't offer Brighid much in the way of food/drink offerings, but I do strongly associate Her with beer and mead, especially the local or homebrewed stuff.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:03 am »

I've been buying Yuengling Black & Tan, and a brand of mead called Vikingernes Mjod that I offer.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;171854
I've been buying Yuengling Black & Tan, and a brand of mead called Vikingernes Mjod that I offer.

Yuengling Black & Tan is the goto in my home, or something similar (Serapis liked the imperial stout I gave him). My devotion is primarily to Chthonic gods and spirits in a Greco-Egyptian practice so I've often found the darker and stronger the beer, the better. I have had good results with Red's Apple Ale and Strongbow though as well. (I can almost hear set Saying gimmegimmegimmegimme, NAO). A good Savignon wine is also a good offering I've done or at least had good results with.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Sunshine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:33:12 pm »
Quote from: SerpentineSorcerer;171859
I have had good results with Red's Apple Ale and Strongbow though as well. (I can almost hear set Saying gimmegimmegimmegimme, NAO).

Strongbow is my usual preference, and after venturing out a little bit... I think my next purchase as well. ;)

Thanks for the responses, all!

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:09:24 am »
Quote from: SerpentineSorcerer;171859
Yuengling Black & Tan is the goto in my home, or something similar

Isn't it da bomb!? :thup: It goes down altogether too smoothly. ;) A friend of mine always ordered a mix of Guinness and Harp. It looked like motor oil with a head. I wanted something hearty but not something I had to chew.  :p

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
Quote from: Sage;171850
This is a topic near and dear to my heart! I'm not particularly knowledgeable on different types of alcohol and their tastes myself. I take medication for depression that affects how my body processes alcohol, meaning I can, have, and will get very tipsy from one bottle of beer. But I've slowly been experimenting because I not so secretly want to be a beer snob, and generally I think it's important that I know what I'm offering before I give it to the gods.

I tend to go with my gut when browsing liquor stores or the beer/wine aisle at Kroger. When I was working with the Gaelic gods I settled into a routine of offering Brighid some Bailey's Irish Cream, Manannan a bright electric blue liqueur called Hpnotiq, and the Morrigan a glass of dark red wine. Aengus at one point got a mini bottle of cinnamon schnapps called Hot Stuff! because I thought it was funny. (And He agreed!)  

Nowadays I don't offer Brighid much in the way of food/drink offerings, but I do strongly associate Her with beer and mead, especially the local or homebrewed stuff.

I've never offered an alcoholic drink before. I made mead once, (and it tasted surprisingly good for what it was), but then I drank it all. So I tried to make wine with the same method with the intention of using it for offering. It was disgusting, mainly because it had no chance to age. So I didn't offer that either. So I tried to make some involving cocoa powder as an experiment (to emulate aztec chocolate), which worked just as well as you'd expect and started foaming everywhere. It also smelled terrible.

Since then I haven't really bothered making more because I don't really feel the need to offer it (alongside other reasons). If I was ever working with a deity who did want it-- sure, I would probably pull something together.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:25 pm »
Quote from: Sage;171850

She'd probably like a good, robust IPA.  

Then again, who wouldn't?  

:D:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:04:49 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;173071
She'd probably like a good, robust IPA.  

Then again, who wouldn't?  

:D:
I've always gotten a good reaction from her with an IPA.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;173077
I've always gotten a good reaction from her with an IPA.

On the rare occasions that I offer alcohol to Brighid, it's usually Irish Mist or Jameson whiskey.

But if I was to offer beer, I'd most likely offer what I have on hand, which is usually Stella Artois or Harp lager. And those would both work pretty well, given that I strongly associate Her with stars and harps. ;-)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 01:51:56 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;173049
So I tried to make some involving cocoa powder as an experiment (to emulate aztec chocolate), which worked just as well as you'd expect and started foaming everywhere. It also smelled terrible.

There are recipes out there for chocolate mead, by the way, but chocolate is hard to brew with and it's fussy.  (I made some once.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

Mm, I don't like a lot of IPAs. I prefer Mack & Jack (which I believe is an african amber?) and stouts. You can get a lot of different flavors from stouts too - chocolate, coffee, etc. mmm.
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »
Quote from: Mivi;173121
I prefer Mack & Jack (which I believe is an african amber?)

That seemed a little odd to me (neither 'African amber' nor just 'amber' is a beer type) so I did a bit of websearching. It looks like Mac & Jack's is a craft brewery, and African Amber is the name of their best-known beer (so, a brand name) - it is, as I suspected from 'amber', an amber ale. (Their other beers include a couple of IPAs, a porter, a Hefeweizen (wheat beer), a dark ale, and a barleywine.)

Beer types can be pretty confusing, especially since there's no universal taxonomy, and what the various words mean varies geographically and has shifted over time. Competitive homebrewing in the US does have a set taxonomy, so that it has clear(ish) competition categories; those sometimes apply to craft breweries that grew out of someone's homebrewing hobby (as appears to be the case with Mac & Jack's), but can't be sensically applied beyond that.

I'm really happy to learn about Mac & Jack's - I expect to be in Spokane this summer, so I'll keep my eyes open for places that serve their beers, because they sound very tasty! I might not run into them, since it's the other side of the state (and I gather there are a lot of craft/microbreweries in WA), but I can look!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HappyWiccan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 04:56:25 am »

I offer some of whatever I have, but on occasion, I do get good stuff like Hoegaarden or Rogue Dead Guy ale, and when I do, I'll at least offer one bottle of a 6 pack.
"When the finger points to yonder moon, the fool will not look at the fingertip."

BlindBardRLB

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.blindbardrlb.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:52:12 am »
Quote from: HappyWiccan;178338
I offer some of whatever I have, but on occasion, I do get good stuff like Hoegaarden or Rogue Dead Guy ale, and when I do, I'll at least offer one bottle of a 6 pack.

When it comes to giving my gods beer, usually I’m offering them something along the lines of Guinness, Innes and Gun, or KilKenny.

Otherwise, I’m usually giving them either some kind of mead, wine, or Whiskey, alcoholically speaking.

Of course, it also depends on the deity I’m offering to. For example, Loki seems to be fine with accepting just about anything from me so long as he’s getting something from me at all, or else he’ll take what he wants and there’s usually not a thing I can do about it. Thor on the other hand loves his stouts, especially a good old Oatmeal stout that I blame my previous kindred for getting me hooked on and getting in the habit of offering to the Big Guy!

I normally don’t offer beer or any other kind of alcoholic beverage to Brighid, mostly because she just prefers for me to give her milk or something else altogether, but it’s usually Guinness or Wild Irish Rose on the rare occasion she does want a little bit of beer from me.

Tags: