Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Offerings and Issues of Waste  (Read 6928 times)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Offerings and Issues of Waste
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:18 am »
Quote from: Waterbender;179216
I agree with this for the Indian gods and it's what I do as well. I think my only confusion is what to do with meat offerings. I do offer meat to some Tantric goddesses, but I don't always know how long to wait before consuming it. I kind of can't help but eye a plate of hot, freshly cooked lamb chops or whatever and imagine eating it cold. But I'm also too scared of the goddesses to be like, "Um, are you finished with that? Can I eat it before it gets cold?"

So I end up waiting around and eating it cold.  :(

I'd say consume the offerings when your puja is finished and the god(s) have left. When I attended the Hindu temple, people brought pots and trays of rice and veg. offerings. They gave them to the priests who placed them in front of the particular deity's sanctum. When the puja or abhishekam was over, the food was brought to the buffet table.

I've been doing a couple of things with blót or votive offerings to the Norse gods, which includes meat and alcohol (mead, ale, wine), to dispose of them. For a libation blót when I am finished I take the bowl outdoors (I drink from the horn) and pour it out at one of the oak trees in my backyard with the words "We return to you that which is rightfully yours; we thank you for the blessings you have bestowed on us. From the Gods to the Earth to us, from us to the Earth to the Gods, a gift for a gift". I use the plural because "I, me, mine" sounds selfish, all sacrifices are community oriented, so even practicing alone, I am representing my community of family, friends, ancestors, wights.

If you give food as a votive offering, technically a votive offering should be buried, burned or left out. Whatever it happens to be, meat, fruit, bread, I put it outdoors. It's gone in short order. At a communal blót meat is usually offered and served. It's rare to sacrifice live animals these days when you can get pork shoulders and beef already butchered. It's offered, cooked and shared as dinner. What I offer to the husvaettir (house spirits) at their little shrine on my stove, or to the ancestors: liquids go down the drain, solids go outdoors. When I put flowers at a shrine, I put them outdoors when they begin to die.

I think there are no hard and fast rules. I've found doing some things feels creepy (like tossing in the trash), others are OK, like pouring the milk or alcohol for the ancestors and husvaettir down the drain (beer and milk the next day are really nasty to consume :(). Putting offerings outdoors here in NJ is problematic in the winter when we get 2-3' of snow.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:53 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;171600
People make offerings to Deities and Spirits all the time. Yet there is one aspect that has always bothered me where this is concerned. People make offerings of food, drink, and many other things, but with this comes a concern for waste. The Divine does not necessarily physically consume the offerings.

Rather depends on how one sees the Divine as making a presence during ritual. It might be purely intangible or numinous, sure. But in my rituals, I typically mark their presence with images and with fire.
As such, when I burn offerings, they kinda are consumed physically by the gods.

Whenever I hear about people making offerings of food, I think about the people who could be eating it...
So how does one deal with the issue of waste?

Well, as I noted above, many kinds of offerings can be burned. Incense, as you mention. Also other material remains, i.e. bones, fat, plant matter, seeds, et al. Different traditions have different prescriptions on what kinds of offerings are acceptable. In mine, which is a bit of a syncreticism of Hellenistic, Roman, and Celtic reconstructive methods, many kinds of food offerings in particular are shared between the gods and the people. Meat from a sacrificed animal is one of the most richly-attested offerings in ancient times, but there are restrictions on that sort of practice in modern day. In lieu of that, already-butchered meat sold at markets might suffice; tear off a piece and burn it at the altar, and eat the rest. Same with, f'rex, bread in a first-fruits offering at harvest festivals.

Other kinds of offerings are poured liquids, libations. These can be trickier, but typically I pour such offerings outside onto the grass. I used to have to do them indoors only, and so I used a sink. Which, well, eventually leads to the local river, so it is ultimately returning to where it came from. Libations are typically wine or other fruit-like juices, but water, milk, oil, and honey are valid too. Like with burnt offerings, it depends on the situation, and on what is traditional for the deity being propitiated.

Littlewolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 12:46:49 pm »
People make offerings to Deities and Spirits all the time. Yet there is one aspect that has always bothered me where this is concerned. People make offerings of food, drink, and many other things, but with this comes a concern for waste.  Whenever I hear about people making offerings of food, I think about the people who could be eating it. Instead, I often burn incense. Offerings of burning candles are also common in my practice for the same reason. Yet, some times these offerings feel inadequate.

There are many options when it comes to offerings, it can be greatly influenced by the diety you worship. For example simply loving Krishna is an offering, or being creative and making art is an offering to lugh. You can offer coins, i offer coins to cernunnos for wealth, and i save those coins until i go to a sabbat and donate the coins to support the druid organization. Donating to any cause, especially one connected to your deity is excellent. A warrior god may appreciate a donation of food or money to a veteran or support our troops organization. As for fresh food i either eat it myself, give it to a pet, or leave it outside since anything from a fox to a microorganism will make use of it. Liquid offerings are also very good since they "evaporate" and can be seen to be consumed by the deity, and often there is nothing left behind. You mentioned hindu dieties, many hindus simply offer chants or mantras to them, and often when a favour is asked and granted the worshipper gives thanks by going to a temple and praying there. In the end the adequacy of an offering is personal, ask yourself why you are offering something (devotion or thanks) and who it's for, and trust your intuition.
Hope this helps.

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:29 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;179305
Rather depends on how one sees the Divine as making a presence during ritual. It might be purely intangible or numinous, sure. But in my rituals, I typically mark their presence with images and with fire.
As such, when I burn offerings, they kinda are consumed physically by the gods.

Well, as I noted above, many kinds of offerings can be burned. Incense, as you mention. Also other material remains, i.e. bones, fat, plant matter, seeds, et al. Different traditions have different prescriptions on what kinds of offerings are acceptable. In mine, which is a bit of a syncreticism of Hellenistic, Roman, and Celtic reconstructive methods, many kinds of food offerings in particular are shared between the gods and the people. Meat from a sacrificed animal is one of the most richly-attested offerings in ancient times, but there are restrictions on that sort of practice in modern day. In lieu of that, already-butchered meat sold at markets might suffice; tear off a piece and burn it at the altar, and eat the rest. Same with, f'rex, bread in a first-fruits offering at harvest festivals.

Other kinds of offerings are poured liquids, libations. These can be trickier, but typically I pour such offerings outside onto the grass. I used to have to do them indoors only, and so I used a sink. Which, well, eventually leads to the local river, so it is ultimately returning to where it came from. Libations are typically wine or other fruit-like juices, but water, milk, oil, and honey are valid too. Like with burnt offerings, it depends on the situation, and on what is traditional for the deity being propitiated.

That is a good idea.  I often handle burnt offerings and libations in a similar manner.
as for being wasteful,  you do not necessarily have to make offerings in large proportions.  also in addition to food and drink, writing poetry is another great offering you can give.

Non-Druid

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 10:38:05 am »
People make offerings to Deities and Spirits all the time. Yet there is one aspect that has always bothered me where this is concerned. People make offerings of food, drink, and many other things, but with this comes a concern for waste. The Divine does not necessarily physically consume the offerings. Whenever I hear about people making offerings of food, I think about the people who could be eating it. Offerings of ones own blood are risky and not simply because it involves cutting ones own flesh. I know the intent, but I object to the sacrifice of a living being. It's soul is not mine to give away in my mind. Instead, I often burn incense. Not just because my practice and philosophy has been influenced by Hinduism, Buddhism, and other similar traditions, but because nothing is left to waste. Offerings of burning candles are also common in my practice for the same reason. Yet, some times these offerings feel inadequate. I want to give something more, but I fear merely leaving the offerings out to waste. Even in the case of objects I worry about the people who could be using them. So how does one deal with the issue of waste?

I don't see it wasting food I see it as an offering. Many might say that the animals will just eat it, but for me it's symbolic & who says that the Gods can't take the form of said animals? Just my humble opinion on it.
I worship the old Gods because my heart tells me to not because I am told too.

PiscesMoon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »
Yet, some times these offerings feel inadequate.I want to give something more, but I fear merely leaving the offerings out to waste. Even in the case of objects I worry about the people who could be using them. So how does one deal with the issue of waste?

I gather and save acorns and conkers (known as buckeyes in the States :)) in the Autumn to use on my indoor Harvest Shrine, and then use them as outdoor offerings throughout the winter and spring. During the summer months I will use birdseed or grain... that way, no waste- lots of creatures, both bird and mammal will make use of them! If not, the offerings will return to the earth without any problems.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:34:46 pm by PiscesMoon »

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
People make offerings to Deities and Spirits all the time. Yet there is one aspect that has always bothered me where this is concerned. People make offerings of food, drink, and many other things, but with this comes a concern for waste. The Divine does not necessarily physically consume the offerings. Whenever I hear about people making offerings of food, I think about the people who could be eating it. Offerings of ones own blood are risky and not simply because it involves cutting ones own flesh. I know the intent, but I object to the sacrifice of a living being. It's soul is not mine to give away in my mind. Instead, I often burn incense. Not just because my practice and philosophy has been influenced by Hinduism, Buddhism, and other similar traditions, but because nothing is left to waste. Offerings of burning candles are also common in my practice for the same reason. Yet, some times these offerings feel inadequate. I want to give something more, but I fear merely leaving the offerings out to waste. Even in the case of objects I worry about the people who could be using them. So how does one deal with the issue of waste?

I try to return my offerings to the earth and animals but recently I have started eating some of my offerings as i am somewhat of a pantheist in a way and I believe that there is a part of the god/desses in everything and everyone, so surely eating my offerings is an appropriate and waste-free way of sending my offerings to whomever they are for.
I also don't want to give to the earth anything that might be harmful to an animal that eats it (chocolate for example).

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 03:23:36 pm »

One thing I've done is starting to use tallow candles. I buy a lot of animal fat as part of my diet (it is cheap, nutritious and tasty) and since it is so cheap, I often end up buying quite a bit more than I can actually eat.

The rest can be melted into candles, however, so waste not want not! I will burn a candle outside in the woods and then leave it where it is. If I'm worried that a cat or a fox might accidentally eat the wick, I'll break the leftover candle apart and scatter it, then bury the wick (which should be 100% cotton and degradable). Most candles shouldn't be left outside because it contains icky stuff (especially paraffin candles) but pure fat is just fine, and everything from the mice to the birds to even (occasionally) the deer will eat it. It's pretty easy to make candles like these. If you're vegetarian, the same can be done with beeswax, though it's more expensive.

I usually throw out food for the animals. It was a lot easier when I lived on a farm with chickens and pigs, granted... now I have to be careful because of other peoples pets, as well as rats, roaming the area. But there's nothing stopping me from riding a bus to somewhere more remote.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:18 pm »
Quote from: Elding;184757
One thing I've done is starting to use tallow candles. I buy a lot of animal fat as part of my diet (it is cheap, nutritious and tasty) and since it is so cheap, I often end up buying quite a bit more than I can actually eat.

The rest can be melted into candles, however, so waste not want not! I will burn a candle outside in the woods and then leave it where it is. If I'm worried that a cat or a fox might accidentally eat the wick, I'll break the leftover candle apart and scatter it, then bury the wick (which should be 100% cotton and degradable). Most candles shouldn't be left outside because it contains icky stuff (especially paraffin candles) but pure fat is just fine, and everything from the mice to the birds to even (occasionally) the deer will eat it. It's pretty easy to make candles like these. If you're vegetarian, the same can be done with beeswax, though it's more expensive.

I usually throw out food for the animals. It was a lot easier when I lived on a farm with chickens and pigs, granted... now I have to be careful because of other peoples pets, as well as rats, roaming the area. But there's nothing stopping me from riding a bus to somewhere more remote.

To add to that - I also sometimes make handicraft stuff, like little clay statues, that can be safely buried outside.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2016, 03:41:22 pm »
Quote from: PiscesMoon;184463
I gather and save acorns and conkers (known as buckeyes in the States :)) in the Autumn to use on my indoor Harvest Shrine, and then use them as outdoor offerings throughout the winter and spring. During the summer months I will use birdseed or grain... that way, no waste- lots of creatures, both bird and mammal will make use of them! If not, the offerings will return to the earth without any problems.

I don't like the idea of waste either. I usually either do incense offerings or like Piscesmoon, I'll use birdseed. For a couple of years I had a opposum living in the tree in my backyard so I would use foods I knew he could eat. I kind of miss my opposum friend.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 05:08:51 pm »
Quote from: Elding;184757

We make citronella bug-repelling candles out of some of our leftover bacon grease here, actually.  Grease-based fires are good bases for bug-repelling because flying insects don't like smoke.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: