collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Using the Runes  (Read 5137 times)

Beibhinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Using the Runes
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new to Heathenry and I was wondering, what is a good way to start using the Runes? Either for divination, or on a daily basis...I'm a little confused on the best way to use them. Any info or book suggestions would be appreciated!

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Using the Runes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »
Quote from: Beibhinn;171598
Hi everyone, I am new to Heathenry and I was wondering, what is a good way to start using the Runes? Either for divination, or on a daily basis...I'm a little confused on the best way to use them. Any info or book suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm fairly new to working with the runes too, the elder futhark. A lot of people use the younger futhark and AS runes. I draw 1, 2 or 3 and just interpret them as insight into what's going on in my life, sort of like another set of eyes. They can often make things clearer. I don't necessarily know that they predict the future. If there is something in your life that needs work, you could meditate on a particular rune. For example, if money is an issue, you could meditate on fehu.

I've started learning about bind runes. A bind rune I'm going to create by burning on a small wood disc is algiz with fehu and mirror image fehu (see sample below). I could make a pendant out of it, or keep it on me another way. This bindrune is for financial protection and security. A bind rune for general good luck is gebo/fehu. But in my case with tight finances right now, I think it would be a good idea that I meditate on the fehu/algiz bind rune. Now, I don't mean to say that you have to learn bind runes, but that is just one way of using them.

Here are a couple of sites I refer to...

http://davensjournal.com/runeinfo.html
http://runesecrets.com/

There is a book (I have it, but have only flipped through it) FUTHARK - A Handbook of Rune Magic by Edred Thorsson. It's pretty detailed from what I saw of it, but I hear it's one of the best out there. There are .pdf versions on-line, though due to copyright issues, they may not be the full version.

OctoberCross

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://the-crossroads.info
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

In addition to useful books and texts, I'd recommend keeping a journal (a page a rune, or something) with meanings you find most common and also personal to you.  For instance, there is one rune I get that, while often listed as a portent of an "act of god" type of situation, in personal divinations often takes the shade of meaning "sit back and quit worrying."

Divinations on a daily basis, even just about more idle questions than big, life-altering ones, will help you gain familiarity with your runes.  I feel it's a personal relationship in a way, like many feel about their different tarot decks.  And it will help you build a personal dictionary of sorts, if you record the different flavors and meanings of each rune as you see them yourself.
If I wake in the morning I only need two more miracles to be a saint.

Choosing the Crossroads

Beibhinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:05 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;171603

I've started learning about bind runes. A bind rune I'm going to create by burning on a small wood disc is algiz with fehu and mirror image fehu (see sample below). I could make a pendant out of it, or keep it on me another way. This bindrune is for financial protection and security. A bind rune for general good luck is gebo/fehu. But in my case with tight finances right now, I think it would be a good idea that I meditate on the fehu/algiz bind rune. Now, I don't mean to say that you have to learn bind runes, but that is just one way of using them.

Here are a couple of sites I refer to...

http://davensjournal.com/runeinfo.html
http://runesecrets.com/

There is a book (I have it, but have only flipped through it) FUTHARK - A Handbook of Rune Magic by Edred Thorsson. It's pretty detailed from what I saw of it, but I hear it's one of the best out there. There are .pdf versions on-line, though due to copyright issues, they may not be the full version.

I like the idea of bindrunes..will be checking out the Thorsson book too. Thanks!

Beibhinn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:05 am »
Quote from: OctoberCross;171633
In addition to useful books and texts, I'd recommend keeping a journal (a page a rune, or something) with meanings you find most common and also personal to you.  For instance, there is one rune I get that, while often listed as a portent of an "act of god" type of situation, in personal divinations often takes the shade of meaning "sit back and quit worrying."

Divinations on a daily basis, even just about more idle questions than big, life-altering ones, will help you gain familiarity with your runes.  I feel it's a personal relationship in a way, like many feel about their different tarot decks.  And it will help you build a personal dictionary of sorts, if you record the different flavors and meanings of each rune as you see them yourself.

I have been planning to start a journal on the runes based on a "rune a day" pull..so far Dagaz has been popping up everywhere! I think I see what u mean..

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:46:29 am »
Quote from: Beibhinn;171651
I like the idea of bindrunes..will be checking out the Thorsson book too. Thanks!

Ah, you are welcome. ;) I should mention about the benefit and "power" of the runes I discovered yesterday.

Last night something happened that will help improve my financial position greatly. I stumbled on the bind rune of fehu/algiz for financial security, and was thinking about it... a lot. It really stuck in my head.

I planned to use my little wood burner to create it on a small wooden round. I have a bunch of them that I burned my own set of runes into. I didn't get around to it before the good fortune happened, but I fully intend to, and carry it with me. I also said a small prayer to Freyr asking for his help, which I believe he provided. I have to make a small offering to him in thanks.  

So all in all, there's a lot to be said for learning and working with runes. :)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:39:46 am »
Quote from: Beibhinn;171652
I have been planning to start a journal on the runes based on a "rune a day" pull..so far Dagaz has been popping up everywhere! I think I see what u mean..

I pull a rune every morning, and starting last month have been jotting the rune on one of my calendars, so that I can look back and see any patterns that emerge over time.

I also find a notebook with pages for each rune, as well as places for other observations, is very helpful.  I'm using a 3ring binder so that I can add and move pages as needed.  As I read more, reflect more and realize my own thoughts on the runes, I add them in.  Then I go back from time to time and read what I have on different runes.  I find the looking back process very useful, and almost always remember things I had forgotten, which helps me to weave a fuller picture of each rune.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »

Reading written descriptions are good, but don't forget your personal connection with the runes. Meditate on them. Connect to them. Listen to what they have to say.

You can start up by meditating on a specific rune, but another good exercise is to pull a random rune, hold it in your hand, and meditate on it without looking at it. You'll get to look at the rune as it is, without all the associations that exist in your mind.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:46 am »
Quote from: Elding;178168
Reading written descriptions are good, but don't forget your personal connection with the runes. Meditate on them. Connect to them. Listen to what they have to say.

You can start up by meditating on a specific rune, but another good exercise is to pull a random rune, hold it in your hand, and meditate on it without looking at it. You'll get to look at the rune as it is, without all the associations that exist in your mind.

I currently work as a troubleshooter in a Medicare part D plan call center. Essentially, I'm one of the folks that the person you talk to in a call center goes to when they don't know how or just simply cannot handle the caller's issue or the caller is fed up with the representative.

This is an immensely stressful job on a good and there aren't many good days. So, I drew the Runes on some index cards, including Hela's aett, and when things are slow I takes them out and begin going through them; sort of like a Sun Wheel. This has helped me to memorize them and become more familiar with the added benefit of the focused meditation acting to help me remain calm when all I really want to do is harm the moron who caused the plan member's problem.

As for magic use, I've used Fehu before and it worked beautifully to fill my cupboards. I'm still waiting for the lottery numbers though... :D:
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
Quote from: Skumring;182481
... including Hela's aett....

I'm used to the Aettir being Freyja's (or Freyr's), Heimdall's, and Tyr's; this is a new one on me. Could you elaborate?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;182509
I'm used to the Aettir being Freyja's (or Freyr's), Heimdall's, and Tyr's; this is a new one on me. Could you elaborate?

Sunflower

Mind you, I'm still new to this one too. I found it while researching Ear and haven't seen a whole lot about it yet. Then again, I haven't been able to find a whole lot about Hel at all and my income is what polite people would call "limited", so book purchases are a no-go for now.

Anyway, Hela's Aett begins with Ear, then continues with Ac, Ior, Yr, Os, Cweorth, Stan, Chalc, & finally, Gar. Allegedly Gar is more Odin's rune but the source's I've found are contradictory.

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 11:27:01 am »
Quote from: Skumring;182519
Mind you, I'm still new to this one too. I found it while researching Ear and haven't seen a whole lot about it yet. Then again, I haven't been able to find a whole lot about Hel at all and my income is what polite people would call "limited", so book purchases are a no-go for now.

Anyway, Hela's Aett begins with Ear, then continues with Ac, Ior, Yr, Os, Cweorth, Stan, Chalc, & finally, Gar. Allegedly Gar is more Odin's rune but the source's I've found are contradictory.

I've done a little reading about these additional runes, and a tiny bit of working with them.  I definitely like the concept of them, and was thinking about adding them to one of my rune sets.

I believe the person who labeled them as Hela's Aett was Raven Kaldera, but the runes themselves seem to be from the Anglo-Saxon, Frisian and Northumbrian rune sets.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 10:41:09 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;182533
I believe the person who labeled them as Hela's Aett was Raven Kaldera, but the runes themselves seem to be from the Anglo-Saxon, Frisian and Northumbrian rune sets.

That seems to be the case, though Kaldera uses 'Hel' rather than 'Hela' - I got very little, yesterday, websearching 'Hela's aett', and that was using two different search engines. But Darkhawk put me on to this page on Kaldera's Northern Traditions site, which I'm guessing is (one of) the resource(s) Skumring is drawing on.

I see, now, that searching 'Hel's aett' gets more (and more reliable!) results - I really should have thought of doing that search as well, yesterday.

Quote from: Skumring;182519

That's the order in which Raven Kaldera discusses them, on the site linked above, but he doesn't seem to be making a claim about that being the 'correct' order (he uses language like, 'Let's start with...,' and, 'The next one to look at...'); how it reads to me is that this is an order he finds useful, either for his own purposes or for introducing others to this approach. In ancient inscriptions, usually Ac is the first 'new' rune - though, as the Wiki article notes, '[t]he letter sequence, and indeed the letter inventory is not fixed.' (In none of the instances given in the article is Ear the first, though.)

There seem to be as many, if not more, folks who use the term 'Hel(a)'s Aett' for the second aett of the Elder Futhark, as an alternative to 'Heimdall's Aett' - I mention this not to say anyone is right or wrong, but to note that there's more than one usage in play, so it's not safe to assume people will know what you're talking about without more elaboration.

Kylara brings up a point that makes me twitch a bit: that the Futhorc runes themselves are Anglo-Saxon/Frisian (Northumbria being a geographically-specific instance of Anglo-Saxon), and thus connected to the West Germanic linguistic branch, but Hel, and the Jotnar generally, are part of Norse (specifically, Icelandic) mythology (i.e., the North Germanic linguistic branch), and are AFAIK only speculatively attestable (f'ex, that the character of Seo Hell in the Old English Gospel of Nicodemus 'invites comparison' with Hel and Frau Holle) in connection with AS culture

So Kaldera's statement about the 'extra' runes, that 'they reek of the Rokkr or Jotnir, the "dark gods" of Norse mythology,' should not be taken as factual, or even relevant, to Heathenry in general, but as Kaldera's personal gnosis, which may or may not be useful/applicable to other folks. IMO the disclaimer at the top of that (and every) NT page is inadequate, in this case, at fully expressing just how far this diverges from NT's 'reconstructionist-derived' description; if there is any 'reconstruction' here at all, it's not documented.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't work with it, Skumring; if you're finding it useful to you, that's great. But you should keep in mind that it's not 'standard' in Heathenry, and that the Northern Tradition is not well-regarded among mainstream Heathens.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 09:24:34 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;182584

That doesn't mean you shouldn't work with it, Skumring; if you're finding it useful to you, that's great. But you should keep in mind that it's not 'standard' in Heathenry, and that the Northern Tradition is not well-regarded among mainstream Heathens.

Sunflower

Yeah, would like to reinforce what was said here.

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 12:07:36 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;182605
Yeah, would like to reinforce what was said here.

Yeah, going back through my notes and what I saved Raven and one other site were the one's I'd say were the main sources. Which is why I'm still looking. I'm planning on making my own rune set but I'd like to know more about this Hel's Aett and such first. I've also not used them as of yet since Raven Kaldera is the only significant source I've found and everyone else is either copying from him or vice versa. That, and something about his attitude in his writing rubs me the wrong way.

Tags: