Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Deerpocalypse 2015  (Read 2831 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Deerpocalypse 2015
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
There's this thing going on within a group of people that includes me. Someone's given it the name of Deerpocalypse.

The basics: as the name implies, it's a deer imagery-based explosion of apocalyptic proportions. (All the hyperbole). It pops up in dreams, online, and in meatspace, and can manifest itself in the strangest ways. Lee Pace as Thranduil is one of the stranger of these.

The people who got hit with it first in late November/early December have a feeling that Old One-Eye and Loki are involved. A friend of mine is pretty sure Baba Yaga is working with them, and I'm certain that even if he's not directly involved, Cernunnos knows something too. I've asked around and done a bit of divination and I'm not getting answers. There's a theme of liminality running through the whole thing, but other than that nobody knows anything.

Ideas? Questions? Comments?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Deerpocalypse 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:37 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;171510

Ummm....so I read your post and just got a *feeling* and a comment from Loki of "Yeah? What about it?"
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »
There's this thing going on within a group of people that includes me. Someone's given it the name of Deerpocalypse.

The basics: as the name implies, it's a deer imagery-based explosion of apocalyptic proportions. (All the hyperbole). It pops up in dreams, online, and in meatspace, and can manifest itself in the strangest ways. Lee Pace as Thranduil is one of the stranger of these.

The people who got hit with it first in late November/early December have a feeling that Old One-Eye and Loki are involved. A friend of mine is pretty sure Baba Yaga is working with them, and I'm certain that even if he's not directly involved, Cernunnos knows something too. I've asked around and done a bit of divination and I'm not getting answers. There's a theme of liminality running through the whole thing, but other than that nobody knows anything.

Has anyone considered Veles? -coughs- Not sure if he's specifically involved with deer, but some people see him as a lord of the beasts. Also he totally knows Baba Yaga.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:39 pm »
Quote from: Tom;171543
Has anyone considered Veles? -coughs- Not sure if he's specifically involved with deer, but some people see him as a lord of the beasts. Also he totally knows Baba Yaga.

^this.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:38 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;171524
Ummm....so I read your post and just got a *feeling* and a comment from Loki of "Yeah? What about it?"

"We have a Gotterdeermerung every Tuesday, after Bingo and shuffle board." ;)

Maybe this has something to do with Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:59 pm »

NGL, I just assumed it was a ~boho~hipster~ thing, given all the antlers and deer stuff I found at my local K-mart last week. I mean, I did pick up some plaster antlers, and a jar with a deer on top, so at least Artemis is happy? But IDK, I can't say I've noticed more deer than normal, least in this part of the world.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;171547
"We have a Gotterdeermerung every Tuesday, after Bingo and shuffle board." ;)

Maybe this has something to do with Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór?

Just hangin' this here.

Alrighty guys. I see some great ideas, and thus have made a google doc that y'all can access as a means of making a chart or something workable. We can fill in info as we get it and I can stick it into a spreadsheet and maybe actually figure out what's going on. Possibly.

I hope I got the share-ability of it right. Have fun.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:18:01 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;171560
NGL, I just assumed it was a ~boho~hipster~ thing, given all the antlers and deer stuff I found at my local K-mart last week.

Thought: Same source, different result depending on the person?

Admittedly these things go through phases, and deer seem to be in the *in* thing, but I don't see some beings above using it as a source of energy?
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 12:27:33 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;171563
I hope I got the share-ability of it right.

Can view…but cannot edit or add to the document.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:41 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;171571
Thought: Same source, different result depending on the person?

Admittedly these things go through phases, and deer seem to be in the *in* thing, but I don't see some beings above using it as a source of energy?

Yeah, I mean, I haven't had quite the same bombardment of DEER that others seem to have had, but I have noticed a few more than I used to. Whether I'm noticing them because of Artemis or Kernunnnos or some other mundane reason, I can't say. I wouldn't put it past gods to take advantage of those sort of trends, though. Whether it's for any particular reason, or just gods trolling us because we can't help but find patterns in things, I can't say.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:37 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;171573
I wouldn't put it past gods to take advantage of those sort of trends, though. Whether it's for any particular reason, or just gods trolling us because we can't help but find patterns in things, I can't say.

That's more or less my thoughts on it as well. Deers are popular symbolically/aesthetically in the general culture right now (which is fine by me, since it means I can stock up on the antler/stag bits and bobs I could never find five years back), and if there's any deer-type deities riding on the back of that, I wouldn't be surprised. (My stag deity doesn't even have a *name* that I know of after ten years, so that's about all I have to offer - I can't exactly see if he's gained any more followers than usual lately.)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:04 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);171574
That's more or less my thoughts on it as well. Deers are popular symbolically/aesthetically in the general culture right now (which is fine by me, since it means I can stock up on the antler/stag bits and bobs I could never find five years back), and if there's any deer-type deities riding on the back of that, I wouldn't be surprised. (My stag deity doesn't even have a *name* that I know of after ten years, so that's about all I have to offer - I can't exactly see if he's gained any more followers than usual lately.)
Things can have both mundane and spiritual roots, I think...

The Cailleach is in my head reminding me that she has a thing for deer, BTW. (Not 'my' Cailleach (Bhearra) - the 'bigger' one.) I found an old deer ornament in a charity shop the other day and was compelled to buy it, even though Beara doesn't really want it on her altar. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. :P It's on my prosperity shrine-area right now.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:47 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;171579
Things can have both mundane and spiritual roots, I think...

The Cailleach is in my head reminding me that she has a thing for deer, BTW. (Not 'my' Cailleach (Bhearra) - the 'bigger' one.) I found an old deer ornament in a charity shop the other day and was compelled to buy it, even though Beara doesn't really want it on her altar. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. :P It's on my prosperity shrine-area right now.

Kinda off-topic for the thread as a whole, but is it possible, in terms of your setup, to put things that are not Cailleach Bhearra things, but are Cailleachan things, near Beara's altar but not on it? Perhaps a side table, or a wall shelf?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:11 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;171646
Kinda off-topic for the thread as a whole, but is it possible, in terms of your setup, to put things that are not Cailleach Bhearra things, but are Cailleachan things, near Beara's altar but not on it? Perhaps a side table, or a wall shelf?

Sunflower
I think that's my endgame... But I'm still working out how the two relate and what to do with their the-same-but-different status in my head.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »

Someone I was talking with this about just wrote an essay! With citations and everything! Some of the links don't work because he @'d me in it and I changed my URL, but it's really great and if you have the time to dig into it, please do!

Tags: