Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: OBOD experiences  (Read 5615 times)

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
OBOD experiences
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:27:27 pm »
I'm currently in ADF and parts of it is not resonating really well with me. I'd like to hear some thoughts and experiences on OBOD and/or thoughts on ADF vs OBOD (maybe what does or doesn't appeal to others?)

The cost involved in OBOD is not really a deciding factor. (I know this is a common aspect mentioned).

I hoping for thoughts on the course work, organization, groves, forums, etc.

Thanks all!

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »
Quote from: katbast;171076
I'm currently in ADF and parts of it is not resonating really well with me. I'd like to hear some thoughts and experiences on OBOD and/or thoughts on ADF vs OBOD (maybe what does or doesn't appeal to others?)

The cost involved in OBOD is not really a deciding factor. (I know this is a common aspect mentioned).

Thanks all!

It's hard to recap everything that's been said about it just in the past couple of years since we moved onto this board, but it might be useful to you to do a quick forum search for OBOD, since doing so turned up 118 separate threads for me. You may get information and input from more people than have time to do so now, or find points that people have forgotten about since then.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Keri

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:00 pm »

I left ADF to go with OBOD because pretty much from the start, ADF wasn't working for me. OBOD is completely different. It offers guidance, but it's really about helping one create their own path and it's wide open enough that one can be an OBOD Druid whether they are a pagan, Christian, atheist, Buddhist or anything else. Spirituality is mostly Celtic inspired, but OBOD is open to embracing all sorts of influences from around the world.

Perhaps if you mentioned a thing or two that wasn't resonating with you in ADF, it would help us know if OBOD would be a good fit for you, or even worse.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:15:18 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;171080
It's hard to recap everything that's been said about it just in the past couple of years since we moved onto this board, but it might be useful to you to do a quick forum search for OBOD, since doing so turned up 118 separate threads for me. You may get information and input from more people than have time to do so now, or find points that people have forgotten about since then.

I did do the search. I was kinda looking for fresh thoughts. :)

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:52 pm »
Quote from: Keri;171082
I left ADF to go with OBOD because pretty much from the start, ADF wasn't working for me. OBOD is completely different. It offers guidance, but it's really about helping one create their own path and it's wide open enough that one can be an OBOD Druid whether they are a pagan, Christian, atheist, Buddhist or anything else. Spirituality is mostly Celtic inspired, but OBOD is open to embracing all sorts of influences from around the world.

Perhaps if you mentioned a thing or two that wasn't resonating with you in ADF, it would help us know if OBOD would be a good fit for you, or even worse.

I'm having a really hard time putting my problem with ADF into words. It's not entirely the CoOR but that always seems a tad long winded for solitary use. Part of it seems to be a personality - not exactly a clash - with other members I meet. Part of it might simply be that I work with non- IE pantheons and they don't fit in the ADF framework. Its just some thing(s) about ADF just really has been rubbing me the wrong way.

I don't think it's terrible or anything and don't want to seem like I'm bashing the org or its members but there's just something that just doesn't resonate right with me.

Sorry this response is less coherent than I'd like.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 01:38:58 am »
Quote from: katbast;171083
Has something changed that newer opinions are likely to be different? Because my problem with OBOD is still that I'm unacceptably crazy and it doesn't look like that's changed. ;P
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:48:10 am »
Quote from: katbast;171083

Here are a few of the things I've said on this subject: http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?10457-Interest-in-Druidry&p=156590&viewfull=1#post156590 and http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?9775-OBOD-and-scholarly&p=148625&viewfull=1#post148625 and http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?9191-Doing-two-courses-at-the-same-time&p=141286&viewfull=1#post141286 and http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?8655-some-doubt-s-with-ADF&p=133921&viewfull=1#post133921 . I've talked about it many other times in other threads.

I remember commenting at length about ADF vs OBOD, several times within the last year or so. Not much changes within a year. I still have difficulties with both groups but draw on aspects of them both, and I still find that they each have their very good points and very negative points. Like, I suspect, most Pagan organisations.

I hope you find my comments useful.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:50:48 pm »
I'm currently in ADF and parts of it is not resonating really well with me.

I've found that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the lack of "pick up and go" to ADF. It hasn't really grown down to a level where there is a lot of stock solitary material. While it has training programs, there's a lot of ambiguity in how the requirements can be met.

I think ADF needs more solitary folk to step up and share the liturgies they write for their own personal work. But I don't see a lot of that happening. What I do see is solitaries that are unsatisfied with what's available and leave. Or people who want to take too much of what's laid out in the introductory booklet as gospel.

Karen

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »

Thanks all!
You know,  those two are both very valid choices,  but if you're looking to a Revival tradition such as OBOD,  I do want to put my vote in for AODA, too. I'm currently working on their first degree material.

-Robert Burns

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;171517
You know,  those two are both very valid choices,  but if you're looking to a Revival tradition such as OBOD,  I do want to put my vote in for AODA, too. I'm currently working on their first degree material.

After looking over their website I have one question that sticks out. Is AODA more grove/group centric than solitary? I know ADF and OBOD are both flexible on the group vs solitary but it looks like AODA is more group oriented?

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 04:22:49 pm »
Quote from: katbast;171527
After looking over their website I have one question that sticks out. Is AODA more grove/group centric than solitary? I know ADF and OBOD are both flexible on the group vs solitary but it looks like AODA is more group oriented?

I'm doing AODA as a solitary, and haven't run into any issues yet, but if I do, I'll update. I came to it after reading John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook, which really resonated with me in his approach both to pre-Christian and Revival druidic history. I started out with them because I couldn't afford OBOD, but I've gotten a lot out of it.

-Robert Burns

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;171534
I'm doing AODA as a solitary, and haven't run into any issues yet, but if I do, I'll update. I came to it after reading John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook, which really resonated with me in his approach both to pre-Christian and Revival druidic history. I started out with them because I couldn't afford OBOD, but I've gotten a lot out of it.

I've been wrangling with AODA work as well; there are certainly parts that I suspect would go better with a local grove to work with, but I don't think that it's, as a system, unsuited to solitary practice.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:31 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;171671
I've been wrangling with AODA work as well; there are certainly parts that I suspect would go better with a local grove to work with, but I don't think that it's, as a system, unsuited to solitary practice.

I'd say that's the same with OBOD. There were parts of it that only really made sense to me when I joined my grove, but most of it was completely do-able and enjoyable as a solitary.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: