Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Omen of illness?  (Read 951 times)

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Omen of illness?
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:27:30 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I had a strange experience this week, and I wondered if anyone ever had something similar.

I was riding the tram, looking out the window and thinking of nothing in particular when suddenly in my thoughts I had an image of a comet speeding towards me.  It was big and fast and I felt like it was heading for me like a guided missile.  I remember thinking that I was going to die.  Of course I dismissed it, but it was a strong image, totally out of the ordinary and I didn't forget it.  Well, two days later I came down with the chicken pox.

Ok, don't laugh!  Chicken pox is a potentially serious illness in adults, and so contagious that I won't be able to leave the house for a week.  The doctor gave me some antiviral tablets and fortunately I don't feel like death, though I'm pretty under the weather.  I keep thinking of this comet image though and wonder if it wasn't some kind of portent of illness.  My husband and I have been having problems lately too (basically headed for divorce) and I can't help but feel it is all tied up somehow.  I'm not one to get hung up on images like this, it's something unusual for me.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Omen of illness?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:20:56 pm »
Quote from: Little Kingdoms;170972
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I had a strange experience this week, and I wondered if anyone ever had something similar.

Yeesh! You've got a lot on your plate. I wouldn't be surprised if your brain conjured up an image like that with all the stuff you're going through, and then *BAM* you get sick because your immune system is weakened from the stress. That doesn't mean it wasn't *meaningful.* In this case I'd say it definitely WAS!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:06:09 pm »
Quote from: Little Kingdoms;170972
I'm not one to get hung up on images like this, it's something unusual for me.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Like Redfaery said, it sounds stress-related to me. Also, it's worth noting that we're usually ill before we start showing symptoms, which can do some frankly bizarre things to thought processes/dreams/daydreams/etc in the lead-up. (I've noticed that I have bizarre, fever-dream type thoughts even before I start coughing if I'm going to come down with the flu.)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:26:26 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);170988
Like Redfaery said, it sounds stress-related to me. Also, it's worth noting that we're usually ill before we start showing symptoms, which can do some frankly bizarre things to thought processes/dreams/daydreams/etc in the lead-up. (I've noticed that I have bizarre, fever-dream type thoughts even before I start coughing if I'm going to come down with the flu.)

In that sense, I would say that it could still be an omen, even though it likely had perfectly mundane origins. Actually, I think it's safe to say that a lot of "omens" are this-worldly in origin, even when they do indicate a future occurrence. The behavior of animals is a good example, IMO. I know of some pet owners whose companion animals become restless and clingy before the onset of an epileptic seizure. One of my own cats sometimes insists that I hold her and cuddle her, and it turns out that these periods coincide with extreme blood sugar spikes.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:38:21 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;170990
In that sense, I would say that it could still be an omen, even though it likely had perfectly mundane origins. Actually, I think it's safe to say that as ta lot of "omens" are this-worldly in origin, even when they do indicate a future occurrence. The behavior of animals is a good example, IMO. I know of some pet owners whose companion animals become restless and clingy before the onset of an epileptic seizure. One of my own cats sometimes insists that I hold her and cuddle her, and it turns out that these periods coincide with extreme blood sugar spikes.

Yeah, I don't think of omens as necessarily supernatural,  but something in our subconscious that brings to light things the rational part of our minds chooses to ignore.   I think sometimes we know what is written on the wind.  What is an omen anyway without someone to interpret it?  I definitely think this is something real.

The reason I ended up connecting the premonition of illness with my marriage was the way my husband acted when I told him what the doctor said.  He just went off on one, basically saying "how dare you get sick, I'm on holiday" and moaning that he was going to get sick, our daughter was going to get sick, etc etc.  Really you'd think it was something I did on purpose so he couldn't go to the driving range.  No thought whatsoever about me.  I won't spell out my response but needless to say many of the words  began with the letter F!  If I needed any more proof of his level of respect for me it was right there.

Tags: