Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ceridwen: potential thwap?  (Read 3983 times)

corliss_

• View Profile
Ceridwen: potential thwap?
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:55:34 am »
A little over two years ago, when I first started down the Pagan path, I Googled "writers patron deities," hoping to find someone I would connect with. I came across Taliesin, and in turn, Ceridwen. I thought the story interesting, but didn't really feel much of anything besides passing interest.

Fast forward to about a week ago, when I stumbled upon Taliesin and Ceridwen again; I had forgotten about them. I read more about Ceridwen (as there is sadly a lack of information about Taliesin as a god), and her correspondences, almost obsessively, soaking in everything I could. Then, I started to notice things on my walk to work. **Live hens for sale, and pecking at ears of corn. Butchered pigs for sale, with the heads proudly displayed on vendor's tables. And, two or three large, brown rabbits, which, while I know aren't sacred to Ceridwen, still made me stop and go, "Huh."

I don't know if this is "thwapping," or gentle nudging, or I'm reading into something that isn't really there, but any advice would be great--whether it's about Ceridwen, thwapping, whatever. My Tarot cards say it would be a positive and enlightening relationship to pursue, but I would still appreciate other's opinions.

Thanks in advance, all.

**(some background: I live in northeast China, where I work as an ESL teacher, they like to sell everything on the street, especially now that the New Year is upon them.)
"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters."
[/I]
C.S. Lewis

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Ceridwen: potential thwap?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:00:50 am »
Quote from: corliss_;170939

Thanks in advance, all.

Hi Corliss! Whether or not Cerridwen is thwapping you, there's no harm in sitting down and introducing yourself. Lighting a candle and offering some basic staple like water or bread is a good way to start. Relationships are two-way streets and it's completely fine for humans to strike up conversations with deities.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

corliss_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »
Quote from: Sage;170941
Hi Corliss! Whether or not Cerridwen is thwapping you, there's no harm in sitting down and introducing yourself. Lighting a candle and offering some basic staple like water or bread is a good way to start. Relationships are two-way streets and it's completely fine for humans to strike up conversations with deities.

I'll try that tonight after work, perhaps even meditate on it.

Thank you for replying, and for your insight. Ceridwen doesn't seem to be one of the more talked-about goddesses around here, at least not recently, when I search for her name.
"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters."
[/I]
C.S. Lewis

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:33:15 am »
A little over two years ago, when I first started down the Pagan path, I Googled "writers patron deities," hoping to find someone I would connect with. I came across Taliesin, and in turn, Ceridwen. I thought the story interesting, but didn't really feel much of anything besides passing interest.

I had a strong experience with Ceridwen the second time around. I practice Druidry and read about her myth early on but it didn't really resonate with me at first.  Then a few years later I read the story again and had a powerful meditation involving her.  I'm pretty sure she is the one who nudged me into enrolling on the Bardic course I'm taking!

She is, as you found out,  a patron goddess of the bards (poets) and writers by connection.  Basically her realm is inspiration, being the tender of the cauldron of Awen and mother to the bard Taliesin.  She is certainly a worthwhile goddess to reach out to , especially if she's been in your head!  

I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to have more followers.  She is often described as a dark crone goddess but that isn't really my impression of her.  I think she is more popular amongst Druids.  Just my own personal opinion,  but I think Ceridwen is more of a quiet goddess, really only appearing when called upon or needed by seekers.  I don't find her to be full of rage like in the myth, in my experience she is quite level headed, but she's not one to give out cuddles either!  The best way I can describe her is like a busy university professor; glad to help point you in the right direction , but expecting you to do the work in return.

A good book for Ceridwen and the myth of Taliesin is "From The Cauldron Born" by Kristoffer Hughes, he writes in depth about his spiritual interpretation of it.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 11:29:14 am »
Quote from: corliss_;170961
I'll try that tonight after work, perhaps even meditate on it.

Thank you for replying, and for your insight. Ceridwen doesn't seem to be one of the more talked-about goddesses around here, at least not recently, when I search for her name.

She's not what I'd consider one of the more popular goddesses today, no, but there's still info out there if you dig enough. :) Where have you looked so far? I know there are some Welsh-based druidic groups that work with Cerridwen and Her story.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »

Fast forward to about a week ago, when I stumbled upon Taliesin and Ceridwen again; I had forgotten about them. I read more about Ceridwen (as there is sadly a lack of information about Taliesin as a god), and her correspondences, almost obsessively, soaking in everything I could. Then, I started to notice things on my walk to work. **Live hens for sale, and pecking at ears of corn. Butchered pigs for sale, with the heads proudly displayed on vendor's tables. And, two or three large, brown rabbits, which, while I know aren't sacred to Ceridwen, still made me stop and go, "Huh."

I don't know if this is "thwapping," or gentle nudging, or I'm reading into something that isn't really there, but any advice would be great--whether it's about Ceridwen, thwapping, whatever. My Tarot cards say it would be a positive and enlightening relationship to pursue, but I would still appreciate other's opinions.

Thanks in advance, all.

**(some background: I live in northeast China, where I work as an ESL teacher, they like to sell everything on the street, especially now that the New Year is upon them.)

Hey, Corliss! I don't know much about Ceridwen, but I see no harm in reaching out to her. You're also kind of on my turf, so do you mind if I PM you?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

corliss_

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 10:11:53 am »
Quote from: Little Kingdoms;170974
I had a strong experience with Ceridwen the second time around. I practice Druidry and read about her myth early on but it didn't really resonate with me at first ... I'm pretty sure she is the one who nudged me into enrolling on the Bardic course I'm taking!

She is, as you found out,  a patron goddess of the bards (poets) and writers by connection.  Basically her realm is inspiration, being the tender of the cauldron of Awen and mother to the bard Taliesin.  She is certainly a worthwhile goddess to reach out to , especially if she's been in your head!
A good book for Ceridwen and the myth of Taliesin is "From The Cauldron Born" by Kristoffer Hughes, he writes in depth about his spiritual interpretation of it.

I am a writer, which is why I was initially searching for deities of writing. I've been thinking about Druidry! I have been researching different paths within Druidry, and am probably going to join OBOD. Any advice would be A++!

Quote from: Sage;170982
... Where have you looked so far? I know there are some Welsh-based druidic groups that work with Cerridwen and Her story.

Anywhere and everywhere. The forums here, source links on Wikipedia, two pages deep in Google, and in my travels I have finally gotten to the prime source texts. I've started reading the Mabinogion and the Black Book of Carmarthen.

Quote from: Redfaery;170991
Hey, Corliss! I don't know much about Ceridwen, but I see no harm in reaching out to her. You're also kind of on my turf, so do you mind if I PM you?

Absolutely, go ahead! :)
[/I]
C.S. Lewis

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:50 am »
Quote from: corliss_;171008
I am a writer, which is why I was initially searching for deities of writing. I've been thinking about Druidry! I have been researching different paths within Druidry, and am probably going to join OBOD. Any advice would be A++!

I did the OBOD course a number of years ago, though I didn't finish it due to personal reasons.  I thought it was good though,  rather pricey but it seemed solid.  The OBOD has quite an open view on deity which makes it easy to intergrate with other belief systems.  Eventually I felt like a more polytheistic approach was what I wanted anymore so I started the British Druid Order's Bardic grade course, which I can also recommend!  Both groups have starter pack options so you can sample the course before committing.   Check out the Neo-Druidry sub forum on this board if you haven't already, lots of good advice on there!

Aett of Cups

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookofspirals.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »
Quote from: Little Kingdoms;170974
I had a strong experience with Ceridwen the second time around. I practice Druidry and read about her myth early on but it didn't really resonate with me at first.  Then a few years later I read the story again and had a powerful meditation involving her.  I'm pretty sure she is the one who nudged me into enrolling on the Bardic course I'm taking!

I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to have more followers.  She is often described as a dark crone goddess but that isn't really my impression of her.  I think she is more popular amongst Druids.  Just my own personal opinion,  but I think Ceridwen is more of a quiet goddess, really only appearing when called upon or needed by seekers.  I don't find her to be full of rage like in the myth, in my experience she is quite level headed, but she's not one to give out cuddles either!  The best way I can describe her is like a busy university professor; glad to help point you in the right direction , but expecting you to do the work in return.

Thanks in advance, all.

Fascinating experiences.  I first felt a connection to Kerridwen (and I've seen at least three other spellings, which may be one reason it's hard to find information about her) when I read Lloyd Alexander's retelling of the Taliessin/Gwion story as a child.  I later realized that the story was much older.  The interesting thing is that, although I'm a writer, Kerridwen has never (that I can recall) aided me with my writing.  For me, she is a goddess of transformation and one who helps me with my water element.  And I occasionally begin astral journeys by moving through her cauldron into the otherworld.  I will agree that she's a "thwapper" in my experience.  She rarely treats me with subtlety or patience, but I know that she cares for me very much in a "tough love" sort of way.
Aett of Cups

Book of Spirals is my author site.
The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

corliss_

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:13:55 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;171149
Fascinating experiences.  I first felt a connection to Kerridwen (and I've seen at least three other spellings, which may be one reason it's hard to find information about her) when I read Lloyd Alexander's retelling of the Taliessin/Gwion story as a child.  I later realized that the story was much older.  The interesting thing is that, although I'm a writer, Kerridwen has never (that I can recall) aided me with my writing.  For me, she is a goddess of transformation and one who helps me with my water element.  And I occasionally begin astral journeys by moving through her cauldron into the otherworld.  I will agree that she's a "thwapper" in my experience.  She rarely treats me with subtlety or patience, but I know that she cares for me very much in a "tough love" sort of way.

Sometimes I view her in that sense of transformation, as I'm going through a phase of transformation myself, finding my way and finding myself through my journey and being changed by it. But I'm mostly in tune with her cauldron of knowledge and inspiration. The thing is, she's thwapped me, yes, but now I have to figure out how to be worthy of her thwappage. That made sense in my head; I've just returned from vacation.
[/I]
C.S. Lewis

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »
Quote from: corliss_;171412
The thing is, she's thwapped me, yes, but now I have to figure out how to be worthy of her thwappage. That made sense in my head; I've just returned from vacation.

It's been my experience that they'll make known what they want of you. If the Welsh gods are anything like the Irish, it'll be pretty damn direct!

My High Priestess/teacher is named Cerridwyn, so while I don't work with the Goddess directly very much, except when we occasionally call her to coven ritual, she's still a very huge indirect presence in my life!

Karen

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;171149
Fascinating experiences.  I first felt a connection to Kerridwen (and I've seen at least three other spellings, which may be one reason it's hard to find information about her)

Tons of different spellings are common with any of the Celtic pantheons, I've noticed. There are many goddesses, for example, with "Brig" or something similar in their name/title who may or may not be the same person, and tracking down information can be difficult. Just "Brighid" alone can vary with the H, the second I becoming an E, the D turning into a T... and Brighid is one of the more popular Celtic goddesses in modern worship, so it's easier (in my experience at least!) to find information on Her than it is someone like Cerridwen.
I shall endure.

corliss_

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 05:03:59 am »
Quote from: Sage;171445
Tons of different spellings are common with any of the Celtic pantheons, I've noticed. There are many goddesses, for example, with "Brig" or something similar in their name/title who may or may not be the same person, and tracking down information can be difficult. Just "Brighid" alone can vary with the H, the second I becoming an E, the D turning into a T... and Brighid is one of the more popular Celtic goddesses in modern worship, so it's easier (in my experience at least!) to find information on Her than it is someone like Cerridwen.

I hope that now that I've started reading the Welsh books, more will come to light about her. For now I'm meditating (I am crap at it, oh boy), making offerings, saying a quick prayer before bed, and just being mindful.

Everyone's advice has been great so far!
[/I]
C.S. Lewis

joanie

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 06:11:13 am »
Quote from: corliss_;171585
I hope that now that I've started reading the Welsh books, more will come to light about her. For now I'm meditating (I am crap at it, oh boy), making offerings, saying a quick prayer before bed, and just being mindful.

You may want to check out the book titled From the Cauldron Born by Kristoffer Hughes. It was interesting to read his take on the Ceridwen story and would probably be a good jumping off point for your meditations.

Celtic

• View Profile
    • http://pentecostaltopagan.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:27 pm »
Quote from: joanie;171586
You may want to check out the book titled From the Cauldron Born by Kristoffer Hughes. It was interesting to read his take on the Ceridwen story and would probably be a good jumping off point for your meditations.

Hi.. I'm new, and just stumbled on this thread. I'm downloading From the Cauldron Born now, thanks for that! I'd love to hear from the OP any updates on your relationship with Cerridwen.. I, too have been working with her some lately. I'm a writer, and drawn to all things Celtic so that's a bit of a natural fit.

Oh, also... what exactly is a thwap? Is there a criteria for what constitutes thwappage?

Thanks!
“Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” – Khalil Gibran
My blog: PentecostalToPagan

Tags: