Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Ceridwen: potential thwap?  (Read 4019 times)

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: Ceridwen: potential thwap?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 08:16:21 am »
Quote from: Celtic;173814
Hi.. I'm new, and just stumbled on this thread. I'm downloading From the Cauldron Born now, thanks for that! I'd love to hear from the OP any updates on your relationship with Cerridwen.. I, too have been working with her some lately. I'm a writer, and drawn to all things Celtic so that's a bit of a natural fit.

Oh, also... what exactly is a thwap? Is there a criteria for what constitutes thwappage?

Thanks!

Thwapping is when a god goes out of its way to contact you, often through seeming to appear in everything you look at. Board term, I think.

For example, if Omnia's Hymn to Morrigan kept turning up on my random setting ipod, I kept seeing that one picture of the Morrigan with the hood everywhere, and a program on the telly always seemed to mention her when I switched to that channel, I'd probably have a thwap.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;173821
Thwapping is when a god goes out of its way to contact you, often through seeming to appear in everything you look at. Board term, I think.

For example, if Omnia's Hymn to Morrigan kept turning up on my random setting ipod, I kept seeing that one picture of the Morrigan with the hood everywhere, and a program on the telly always seemed to mention her when I switched to that channel, I'd probably have a thwap.

A TC term, yes. I'd differ from your definition of it, though. especially in context of the OP that started this thread.

While 'thwap' does get used to refer to any instance of a deity doing things to specifically get someone's attention, it was originally coined to refer to instances in which the deity was doing it to establish an ongoing relationship with the person (usually, though not always, as that person's patron deity).

While extending it to other cases of a deity bopping someone on the head with a clue-by-four (aka The Salmon of Wisdom) makes some sense, I personally favor being cautious with extended usage. The false idea that people have patron deities only through thwappage has become common in recent years, and it seems to me that using 'thwap' mainly to refer to a particular kind of patron relationship makes it easier to talk about how it's not the only kind.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;171149
 The interesting thing is that, although I'm a writer, Kerridwen has never (that I can recall) aided me with my writing.  For me, she is a goddess of transformation and one who helps me with my water element.  And I occasionally begin astral journeys by moving through her cauldron into the otherworld.  I will agree that she's a "thwapper" in my experience.  She rarely treats me with subtlety or patience, but I know that she cares for me very much in a "tough love" sort of way.

I've had that 'thwap' and impatience with Morrigan! lol  For me it's been Brighid of Kildare that was the writer that helped me out until recently.  Seems like Cerridwen is coming around too...  It's not entirely a shock as I've a bit of Irish, Welsh and English in the family tree...  And I'm in a bit of a transition stage once again in my life, so I'm looking forward to what I can learn!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 07:10:49 pm »
Quote from: corliss_;170939
A little over two years ago, when I first started down the Pagan path, I Googled "writers patron deities," hoping to find someone I would connect with. I came across Taliesin, and in turn, Ceridwen. I thought the story interesting, but didn't really feel much of anything besides passing interest.

Fast forward to about a week ago, when I stumbled upon Taliesin and Ceridwen again; I had forgotten about them. I read more about Ceridwen (as there is sadly a lack of information about Taliesin as a god), and her correspondences, almost obsessively, soaking in everything I could. Then, I started to notice things on my walk to work. **Live hens for sale, and pecking at ears of corn. Butchered pigs for sale, with the heads proudly displayed on vendor's tables. And, two or three large, brown rabbits, which, while I know aren't sacred to Ceridwen, still made me stop and go, "Huh."

I don't know if this is "thwapping," or gentle nudging, or I'm reading into something that isn't really there, but any advice would be great--whether it's about Ceridwen, thwapping, whatever. My Tarot cards say it would be a positive and enlightening relationship to pursue, but I would still appreciate other's opinions.

Thanks in advance, all.

**(some background: I live in northeast China, where I work as an ESL teacher, they like to sell everything on the street, especially now that the New Year is upon them.)

Sort of an old thread, but I recently got (I think) thwapped by Ceridwen as well.

In my experience, I'm exploring druidry and trying some meditation with visualization. I was visualizing "the druid archetype" or some such thing (I forget exactly) and got a VERY strong image of a rather friendly crone with a cauldron. Which was interesting because in working up to this visualization, I was expecting a more maidenly figure. She made me feel extremely welcome.

Ironically, I had already ordered a little Ceridwen figure from Etsy to add to my altar because I thought she was cute and would just represent "knowledge" or some such thing. I didn't make the connection until I ran across the name again and the source referred to her as a "crone", and then I was like WAIT. And then I did a bunch of "oh my gosh no way" reading and searching around and... yeah.

I'm agreeing with what other people are saying here. Ceridwen is NOT subtle. She thwaps you. From multiple directions. Gently, but not subtly.

Tags: