Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: What did you do in your garden today?  (Read 29955 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in your garden today?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 06:37:51 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202148
I just noticed the first shoots on my honeysuckle this morning

No garden, and we'll be in deep freeze here for another 3 months at least, but the hardware stores are starting to stock garden stuff. I've bought some seeds for herbs I want to try in pots. Also my aloe plant has produced several offshoots which I need to separate and repot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 07:25:12 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;202391
No garden, and we'll be in deep freeze here for another 3 months at least, but the hardware stores are starting to stock garden stuff. I've bought some seeds for herbs I want to try in pots. Also my aloe plant has produced several offshoots which I need to separate and repot.

Spring is here! I was busy this weekend getting things prepped for the growing season. Biggest project: building a compost sifter and sifting the compost at the bottom of my heap. I got enough sifted to fill a 32 gallon trash can, and all the woody, partially decomposed bits bits left behind were good for mulching my new raspberry bed and the base of the new trees I planted a few weeks ago.

I've also found that a lot of the plants I thought had bit the dust over the winter, such as my mugwort and valerian, were actually just hiding in the weed cover. Also the Nicotiana alata I planted seed for last spring that never came up? It's come up this year. I didn't think the seeds would have survived the winter, but hooray for surprises!

Niuve

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Asatru (loosely), shrubbery (hedgecraft), <insert_religion_here
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;204240
Spring is here!

We don't have a garden, because of where I'm living atm, but I've got a couple potted plants. We've got a bean bush that's sprouted about 20+ Tony bean pods. I was nervous about doing beans in a pot but my daughter brought the plant from school, having been grown from a seed. I felt bad about throwing it out so I grew the thing in a pot: so far so good! She also brought radishes so we're waiting to see how those turn out too.

This evening, we're going to plant the basil and rosemary seeds I got them for Ostara. C:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:48 am »
Quote from: Larix;170733
What did you do in your garden today?

The idea is to  have some sort of garden diary over  the time of the year.

--------------------

Today I won't do much in my garden - as it is snowing right now.

Potted some new plants petunias and spanish daisys.

Made some comphrey diy fertilizer using comphrey that grows wild in my garden. I use empty 1.5 ltr plastic milk jugs and made 3 pack them with leaves broken up into pieces add water from tap close with cap. Keep in shade in patio/garden leave to ripen some 6 weeks and use diluting it with water about 1 to 10 parts water.
See http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-make-a-comfrey-feed/

Harvested some yarrow.:)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:05:36 am by SunflowerP »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 01:13:32 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;205419

See http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-make-a-comfrey-feed/

Hi, Nerys,

Your link wasn't working (it looked like you'd already made one attempt at fixing it). I did manage to get a working one for you, but I had to search the Gardeners' World site to get it, so I hope it's the right article. Please check it, and if it's not the one you meant to link, let me know and I'll try again.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 01:25:01 am »

Today I trimmed some of the neighbour's monster rubber tree hanging over my gas bottles so the leaking regulator can be replaced. I also collected the fallen leaves, cut back my struggling front pot of lavender and pruned my two potted jade succulents in the back yard. It rained well for the first time in months a few days ago so I collected rain water and watered all the pots.

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 07:57:48 am »

I am so enjoying spring right now! As my garden comes back to life so do I. Last year we were struggling with both physical and mental issues so a lot of upkeep just didn't get done, extra work this year!

So far I have rearranged some of my plants to give them more room, trimmed what needed to be trimmed earlier this year (grapevine, apple tree, honeysuckle etc.)
We found enough stones to make a proper border for the plant beds, which was amazing, and free! (we do have a low budget) So hopefully once done that will stop the lawn from invading the beds.

Last year I made a bird bath from a huge plantpot and saucer we found that had a hole in it. I put the saucer on top of the pot to serve as the bath and the hole in the pot faces a bush behind it, the hole was actually perfect, because now the bird bath also serves as a shelter for the hedgehog that visits us each year.
I am so enjoying seeing the birds have long baths and grooming breaks there!

Next stop is an outside altar I will be working on for the next week(s), that will probably also serve as a feeding place for birds.
After that I am going to make similar spots in various places of stone bases for lanterns and lights.

Also I have had a longing for a dwarf maple, I met one in a botanical garden two years ago and it called to me. I could not stop touching it, they have amazing energy! But alas they were too expensive for us so far, but I have just found them on sale! So fingers crossed but if they still have them, I will finally have a dwarf maple!

And after that is all done/while that is going on We'll also have to weed out small vegetable patch and start planting stuff there. Seedlings are still on the small side, I may have started them on the late side but we will see how it goes.

Oh and the terrace is quite overgrown.. and I still want to make an ouside sitting corner that also has storage spots made out of pallets. So yea plenty of ambitious ideas to keep us both busy!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:00:19 am by Abigail »

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 08:19:30 pm »

I don't know if this counts as "doing" much, but I moved into this house late last fall, so today I finally got to see what kind of rose bush I have.  While some people would undoubtedly be disappointed, I am actually feeling absurdly pleased to find they are "White dog roses, also known as Witch's Briar"!  ( And I also consider dogs to be important spirit animals for me, so the name has enjoyable significance either way.) Besides, I hear they are actually the best kind for making rose hip tea.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 03:30:55 pm »

The idea is to  have some sort of garden diary over  the time of the year.

Today I got to watch up-close and personal a female ruby-throated hummingbird go for the flowers of my Lobelia cardinalis as I was sitting and enjoying the coolness after the rain just a few feet away.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Today I got to watch up-close and personal a female ruby-throated hummingbird go for the flowers of my Lobelia cardinalis as I was sitting and enjoying the coolness after the rain just a few feet away.

The first time I ever saw a hummingbird really close was about fifteen years ago at a rented cabin in West Texas. He was going for the feeder and he took me completely by surprise as he flew past my ear. I thought at first it was the biggest wasp I had ever seen and I swatted at him (not a high-percentage move if it HAD been a wasp, I realize!). He dodged me easily and kept on going for the feeder, where I got a good look at him. Beautiful creature.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 07:42:59 pm »

I totally have to plant some Lobelia cardinalis next year around my fountain, to pull in some ruby-throats during migration. I tried one years ago--before I had irrigation--and I failed miserably, since they crave wetness, and a sun- and wind-blasted container garden on a rooftop dries out soil in a summer's split-second if it's not well irrigated. But I saw some beautiful potted specimens in Provincetown, and now that I have irrigation, I'll try again.

As for my work: I just finished tying up my switchgrass (Panicum virgatum), which vies with Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) for title of dominant plant in the gardenscape. (The grass, which I planted to all over to block the view of the apartment buildings across the street, wins.) The switchgrass grows so tall that the weight of the water from the first heavy summer rainstorm makes them flop over, so I have to tie them back to keep them upright. Mission accomplished.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 05:49:01 pm »

I checked my garlic, and it is ready for harvest. And i gave been picking blackberries to make wine with - though they are not in the garden. We let them have an area at the back of our 10 acres to supply me with berries for wine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:35 pm »

The idea is to  have some sort of garden diary over  the time of the year.

--------------------

Today I won't do much in my garden - as it is snowing right now.

Trying to dig a hole for a dog-waste digester, similar to this http://thebark.com/content/build-your-own-pet-waste-digester  I am not very good at hole digging and the dogs are only fitfully interested in helping, so if anyone has good tips on making the process easier for a not very physically strong person, that would be awesome.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 10:00:49 am »
Trying to dig a hole for a dog-waste digester, similar to this http://thebark.com/content/build-your-own-pet-waste-digester  I am not very good at hole digging and the dogs are only fitfully interested in helping, so if anyone has good tips on making the process easier for a not very physically strong person, that would be awesome.

Whenever I have to dig, I try to do it during a time just a few days after a rain, so the ground is softer and slightly moist, but not a heavy, water-logged mess. My soil is clay, so if it's drenched it's a nightmare, but if it's fully dry it's like chipping through concrete. Like Goldilocks, you gotta hit that "just right" sweet spot for digging.

The other recommendation I have is make sure you have the right tools. If you're just using a shovel or spade then it will be 300% more work. Personally I use a mattock to chop the soil up in the hole, and then shovel out what the mattock has loosened up, and it works pretty well for me (I'm not super strong, but I've got endurance haha). You can also look into renting a power auger for a day, that will get the job done super fast but will also be more expensive than buying a mattock.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:36 am »

I did my morning meditation just before dawn; watched a Painted Lady butterfly; then lay in the hammock and fell back asleep. We'll see if I do anything more productive later on, but really, on such a gorgeous weekend day, why?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: