"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Blending Druidry with another Path  (Read 5394 times)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Blending Druidry with another Path
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:56 pm »
I'm just curious how many other folks might be blending Druidry with another path? I belong to an ADF Grove, but I'm also Wiccan. While I've done a little blending of philosophies in personal ritual, I feel like I'm working with two separate paths rather than blending, though I'd like to try more blending after I get done my ADF Dedicant Path and get more into their other training courses.

Anyone else out there?

Karen

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Blending Druidry with another Path
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:51:38 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;170467
I belong to an ADF Grove, but I'm also Wiccan. While I've done a little blending of philosophies in personal ritual, I feel like I'm working with two separate paths rather than blending, though I'd like to try more blending after I get done my ADF Dedicant Path and get more into their other training courses.

How do you reconcile the Wiccan gods and the ADF gods when you blend paths? Or do you use the Wiccan gods as your hearth culture?

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:47 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;170522
How do you reconcile the Wiccan gods and the ADF gods when you blend paths? Or do you use the Wiccan gods as your hearth culture?
I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to Wiccan Gods. The Lord and the Lady? If so, one doesn't have to only call those Gods in Wiccan ritual, at least, not in my tradition.

As far as an ADF Hearth culture, mine is Irish. Brigid wouldn't have it any other way. If I work Wiccan ritual, I often call Brigid and Cernunnos (who's Gaulish, I know), but have recently been looking at working more with Manannán.

What I've really been trying to do is blend the idea of the three-part cosmos into Wiccan ritual with the four elements without it being clunky. I'm not there yet.

Karen

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;170523
I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to Wiccan Gods. The Lord and the Lady? If so, one doesn't have to only call those Gods in Wiccan ritual, at least, not in my tradition.

As far as an ADF Hearth culture, mine is Irish. Brigid wouldn't have it any other way. If I work Wiccan ritual, I often call Brigid and Cernunnos (who's Gaulish, I know), but have recently been looking at working more with Manannán.

What I've really been trying to do is blend the idea of the three-part cosmos into Wiccan ritual with the four elements without it being clunky. I'm not there yet.

Karen

When I first started out with ADF it was from a Wiccan background, and I spent awhile trying to integrate before I accepted my path was leading elsewhere.  I did have some thoughts about the four elements/ tripartite cosmos though, if it's helpful :)

Here is how I envisioned it: the Fire/Well/Tree are on a vertical axis, with the Well feeding the Tree which reaches up to the sky/Fire, the home of the Gods.  The Tree represents our realm, the physical realm and home of spirits of place.  At first, I envisioned the four elements dwelling solely on this plane, in a horizontal axis of NSEW.  Working further, I began to feel that the elements worked in sets of four on each of the vertical points of the axis, a three-fold set of four.  Kind of like the four worlds of each point on the Tree of Life, if you've ever done any Kabbalah.  So, Water in the underworld realm addresses the emotions of the Ancestors, etc.  It was never set in stone for me, the boundaries between each element in each part of the cosmos were very permeable, but I found it helpful to work with.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:08:22 am »
I'm just curious how many other folks might be blending Druidry with another path? I belong to an ADF Grove, but I'm also Wiccan. While I've done a little blending of philosophies in personal ritual, I feel like I'm working with two separate paths rather than blending, though I'd like to try more blending after I get done my ADF Dedicant Path and get more into their other training courses.

Anyone else out there?

Karen

I blend ADF, OBOD and Gaelic polytheism. While these may all look quite similar at first glance, they really aren't. OBOD especially is completely different from ADF, and based on different philosopical and spiritual principles. The best way I've found is simply to keep rituals completely seperate - not trying to cast an OBOD-style circle when doing an ADF ritual, for example. Compartmentalism is easier than syncretism, for me. Others may manage syncretism better than me! I know people who do it, so it seems possible.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

selena_11

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »

Anyone else out there?

Karen

I am just starting down the Druid path myself, but I am mixing it with my Wiccan past. I am still learning the direction I am going but so far it's a definite mix of each. So you are definitely not alone! 😊

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:47:54 pm »

Anyone else out there?

Karen
I blend Druidry with Witchcraft, Ceremonial magic, as well as elements of reconstructionism in my Bittonic Celtic Path!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:26:42 am »

Anyone else out there?

Karen

I've managed to mesh ADF druidry with my Graeco-Kemetic polytheism, and it works well enough for me. The Wheel of the Year works best for my climate, so it's not that hard to make something cohesive out of that. I'm also solitary, so I have a bit more leeway with how I practice.

I don't honour Greek and Egyptian gods together in the same ritual, because I have different ritual forms and approaches for them, but I've still managed to work it into a cohesive whole anyway.

I discovered long ago that I'm not the sort of person who can handle more than one separate path at a time, so syncretism and blending make more sense to me, no matter how weird it might seem to others.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Adaire

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:31 am »

Anyone else out there?

Karen

Have you checked out Philip Carr-Gom's Druidcraft Tarot? I think he has a new book out too that blends Wicca and Druidry, also DruidCraft, but haven't read it. Though it sounds like ADF and OBOD are different, too and I'm not all that familiar with either..Also not sure if he goes into as much detail as you're looking for.

May I ask what your Wiccan trad is more specifically?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:18:35 am by Adaire »

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »
Quote from: Adaire;172435
May I ask what your Wiccan trad is more specifically?

The tradition I'm initiated into is eclectic, but it was developed at least 20 years ago, so we're much more "traditional" than you might find with what's currently called eclectic Wicca. The coven I'm with hived from the founding coven in... 2000, I think. Maybe 2001. And I was initiated in 2002.

So we've got legs.

I'll have to buy the DruidCraft book. I think it's on my Amazon wish list. I also have The Apple Branch around here somewhere in a box. I really need to get through the old moving boxes.

Karen

Adaire

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:55 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;172461
The tradition I'm initiated into is eclectic, but it was developed at least 20 years ago, so we're much more "traditional" than you might find with what's currently called eclectic Wicca. The coven I'm with hived from the founding coven in... 2000, I think. Maybe 2001. And I was initiated in 2002.

So we've got legs.

Nice, Baltimore seems to have a pretty established pagan et al community :) Is that where the trad started?

Quote from: dragonfaerie;172461

I'll have to buy the DruidCraft book. I think it's on my Amazon wish list. I also have The Apple Branch around here somewhere in a box. I really need to get through the old moving boxes.

The book that came with the tarot deck is amazing, I think I could make a full, enriching spiritual practice with that book and nothing else. Hm, have to check out The Apple Branch, I hadn't run across it.

Have you watched The Last Airbender (series, not the Movie, and Aang, not Cora)? They work with a loose three realm plus the 4 elements (they nicely addressed the Chinese 5 elements by making metal part of earth). Again, maybe not specific enough? But though it might be worth mentioning.

AnyaWindweaver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 11:19:31 pm »

Anyone else out there?

Karen

I'm also a member of an ADF grove who blends witchcraft with my druidic practices, while following a Welsh hearth culture. I reconcile this somewhat in that I do not consider witchcraft to be a religion, and my practice of witchcraft is done within the cosmological framework of druidry- using the concepts of the three realms and the kindreds as constructs for my work. For me, druidry is an exoteric, devotional practice, where the witchcraft is esoteric and a bit more, shall we say, personal. Since it's not blending two devotional paths, I'm not sure if my case counts, but I figured I'd chime in on how I blend the two approaches in a way that at least has felt harmonious enough for me.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:52:58 am »

Anyone else out there?

Karen

I practice as a solitary. My Druidry is mainly influenced by Nature itself and books by Ross Nichols, John Michael Greer and Emma Restall-Orr, who practice(d) a Druidry quite different from the ADF one. My Reconstructionism is based on the late Roman Empire, especially Porphyry, Iamblichus and Proclus. I have kept some useful Christian practices.

Tags: