Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: When a holiday finally clicks  (Read 2719 times)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
When a holiday finally clicks
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:15:06 pm »
I've been a Brighid kid for close to five years now, though in recent months my other deity relationships have become much more important than they were previously. However, I really never got the thing with Imbolc, especially as a seasonal thing. There's nothing for a modern town-dweller, even one who grows some food, to relate to in the idea of "lambing time." I don't know anyone who raises sheep. Fleece comes in plastic bags, you know? Already shorn and picked, at least, if not spun and everything. But tonight I realized: Imbolc is time to start tomato seeds inside. And that made sense of the whole thing. Starting the work that will eventually yield a product I need in order to provide for myself.

I love the light bulb moments, y'all.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: When a holiday finally clicks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:23:07 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;169940

:-D

I also have never really connected to the seasonal aspect of Imbolc.  For me, it's mostly about putting brats (very loosely defined) out to receive Brighid's blessing.

It has also become a family event (our annual Imbolc dinner + game night) and a gift giving occasion (thanks to participating in Cill Imbolc exchanges). So, in a way, it's kinda starting to feel sorta like my family's version of Christmas.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:24 pm »

All of the 8 neoPagan holidays have metaphysical interpretations one can draw on. I usually don't have to trot that out until Beltane when people start yelling about how they aren't into fertility because they aren't heteronormative and/or don't want children.

Karen

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 03:50:45 pm »
I've been a Brighid kid for close to five years now, though in recent months my other deity relationships have become much more important than they were previously. However, I really never got the thing with Imbolc, especially as a seasonal thing. There's nothing for a modern town-dweller, even one who grows some food, to relate to in the idea of "lambing time." I don't know anyone who raises sheep. Fleece comes in plastic bags, you know? Already shorn and picked, at least, if not spun and everything. But tonight I realized: Imbolc is time to start tomato seeds inside. And that made sense of the whole thing. Starting the work that will eventually yield a product I need in order to provide for myself.

So....I just had my own lightbulb moment about Imbolc today. I went to Japanese class and sensei told us that yesterday was the setsubun or seasonal change. There used to be four, of course, but the one for spring is the only one still celebrated. In February. And yes, that is as inappropriate in most of Japan as it is in many parts of the world.

Why? Well, most of Japan's seasonal holidays were originally on the lunar calendar - just as many Chinese holidays still are. In fact, the Ancient Japanese were using the same lunar calendar as the Chinese. An early Tang Dynasty Court Calendar, in fact. They used that same one for 1000 years, until the Meiji era, when they realized that the Western Calendar was more accurate (not surprising, since the Chinese actually were pretty careful about doing the necessary calculations and giving their calendar a total overhaul every once in a while. Thus, the Japanese were essentially using one of those massive WARGAMES room-filling computers while the Chinese had long since upgraded to a smartphone app.)

Except....they didn't adjust for the fact that the Gregorian calendar starts not long after the winter solstice, and the lunar calendar begins after its halfway point. The enormous New Year festivities in Japan were traditionally Lunar New Year just like in China. But with the change in calendar, they were moved to January. And weirdest of all? The elaborate purification ceremonies that were so strongly linked to the beginning of Spring were moved to February.

Thus, the modern setsubun has become detached from its specifically seasonal associations, and now emphasizes its aspects on "chasing out" the bad influences of the previous year, and welcoming in good fortune. Actually kind of an appropriate theme for a festival at the opening of the second month - January is over. The new year is really starting!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:54:28 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;170542
"chasing out" the bad influences of the previous year, and welcoming in good fortune. Actually kind of an appropriate theme for a festival at the opening of the second month - January is over. The new year is really starting!

That's really neat  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 09:30:53 pm »

Because I'm very pregnant right now, Imbolc has taken on a new meaning for me. It's about preparation and anticipation of new beginnings.  I did have trouble really understanding Imbolc and Lammas when I first became interested in Wicca/paganism. I don't make bread or have lambs. Honestly, I still struggle with Lammas, but hopefully I will find the metaphysical significance in that as well.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:53:49 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;185994
Because I'm very pregnant right now, Imbolc has taken on a new meaning for me. It's about preparation and anticipation of new beginnings.  I did have trouble really understanding Imbolc and Lammas when I first became interested in Wicca/paganism. I don't make bread or have lambs. Honestly, I still struggle with Lammas, but hopefully I will find the metaphysical significance in that as well.

I am into Druidry (Meso- rather than Neo- in Bonewits' classification), so it is possible that I see other possibilities and problems with the eight festivals than what Wiccans do. I find meaning in the eight seasonal festivals by combining exterior and interior aspects.

I will perform a vigil around 3am this night, in order to just observe how the part of the night is, when we usually are asleep (but that is not a good time to perform visualizing meditations for me, so it will mostly be an outward ritual bracketing a simplified mindfulness-exercise). I will also observe the Sun's presence in 14° tropical Aquarius on the 4th of February, and take a walk in the wood when the new moon will be visible (probably 9th, 10th or 11th of February, and the first quarter on the 15th, followed by visualizing meditations and wishing peace to the quarters (Syria, for instance).

This is a good time to cultivate gratitude for our foremothers, acknowledge humankind's dependency on fire, acknowledge that days are becoming longer (in the northern hemisphere), and acknowledge the decomposition happening with organic remains from last year, which will lead to new life when spring arrives (not until Calan Mai/Beltene here).

Turning these themes internally, it causes us to ask: How is my relationship with my mother? Are some aspects of my inner life immature in a bad way? Are some aspects of my inner life playful and imaginative in a positive way? Do I give rest and recovery the time needed? Do I express nurturing aspects of my inner life in a way that is beneficial to my fellow human beings and other living beings? How do I express parenthood in an abstract way (art, science)? What parts of me from the past are now decomposing? Am I able to discern what sort of new life will spring from that? What do I need to cleanse away? Do I have contact with my Inner Light? Is my flame of benevolece alive? Is it in need of re-lightening or nurture?

From Matthew Fox, I borrow the question: How does creativity express itself in my life? - the corresponding questions for other festivals being: Beltene - compassion, Lammas - joy, Samhain - loss, awareness of fallibility and awareness of mortality.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:55:00 pm by RecycledBenedict »

Tags: