Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Ways to find your Patrons?  (Read 4808 times)

rian

• View Profile
Re: Ways to find your Patrons?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;170003
I have searched for meaningful practice and have yet to find it but I shall keep trying but I am fast running out of ideas. I even did a few rituals that I have read in books and ones I had found online from various traditions to see how they felt. Some felt awkward to perform, some felt completely wrong for me, others I didn't feel a connection to at all. I have yet to find a practice that felt "meaningful" to me at all.

So... Darkhawk isn't wrong here- meaningful practice needs to come from the heart.  
I can't give you a good list of things to try (as already mentioned, Darkhawk's list is pretty damn good).  
What I can say is this:  you may not find them.
Chabas indicated that the kind of patron relationship you want needs to be considered... and that the super-close-we-talk-all-the-time kind is really, really rare.  I don't know if that can be stressed enough.
But that answer needs to come with a serious side note.  Having a patron god does not make you a pagan.  It doesn't make you a better pagan.  It doesn't make you a worse pagan.  
You've already noted that friends have indicated it isn't always easy to have a patron god/dess, and from what I've heard, that's entirely true.  But just to be extra, extra clear... having a patron god isn't a badge, and doesn't make or break your 'fit' in any decent pagan community.

I'm sure there are a whack of people on eCauldron who can tell you about meaningful spiritual practice without a patron god/dess.  I can tell you about that... but what I read in your posts is a feeling of need for a patron god/dess.  And that- oh, I recognize that need.

When I first met up with other pagans, all of them-- all of them-- had a patron god/dess.  And I didn't.  I didn't really know I was missing it before I'd met them, and certainly none of them tried to make me feel like I was missing anything... but we'd chat, and they'd mention this amazing relationship they had... and oh, I so wanted that.  I wanted to feel that connection.
I did all the things you've done... I studied and nothing 'clicked'.  I had friends divine for Patrons with pendulums over lists of god/desses... nothing.  Or rather, lots, and on further reflection, nothing 'clicked'.  It was a solid 18 months of effort, with exactly zero results.

Two years later, I wanted into a shop and the shop owner handed me a flyer for a shamanism workshop without saying anything, and I've since developed a spiritual practice that works for me.  But I really do remember that need for a patron.

I'm not (repeat: NOT) saying shamanism is your answer.  What I am saying is that digging for that connection is a time consuming, rough excursion that really, really isn't guaranteed to do anything.  Re-read Chabas' and Darkhawk's posts, take a big breath, and pick something on one of those posts to do this week.  But only one.  If you're anything like I was-- you can get totally bogged down on this, and miss some potentially cool stuff.

And hey- keep posting (I know, I know, says the one with less than 10 posts).  If this is your pagan community- keep it up.  You'll get the best advice through these folks!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:20 am »
Quote from: rian;170059
When I first met up with other pagans, all of them-- all of them-- had a patron god/dess.

Another thing:  "having a patron deity", even in the sense of personal relationship, it's... not at all simple.

Ways in which it is not simple that I have observed:

* communication with numinous entities is not typically constructed in human language.  Translating sensations, impressions, visual flashes, omens, 'this fucking song lyric won't get out of my head', dream fragments, extremely rare actual phrases that aren't quotations from somewhere, and similar material into "God X told me Y" - which is what most people who do that sort of thing are actually doing - is an art, it is an art that takes practice, and it is an art that has an unfortunate amount of commonality with wishful thinking.

* numinous entities have their own agendas and sense of time.  A close relationship by all apparent subjective evidence today may be entirely contactless tomorrow.  People expecting something more continuous can have a hard time with this.

* health issues can entirely suppress numinous senses and interpretative capacity, meaning that if those issues are present and untreated one manages approximately fuckall in that department, regardless of what relationships or communication skills one might have when healthy.

* numinous entities don't come with clear labels, and since their communication is not always clear as communication this means that they're often hard to notice even when they're right there.

* numinous entities don't come with clear labels, and one can be dealing with one or more of them for a very long time and still not know who the fuck they are other than "that spirit/deity/thing that's been around for the last decade" or what have you.

* some people with patron-type relationships are enough with the not great with pattern-matching that the numinous entities in question have to bloody well route through someone with the sensitivity to do the communication translation thing; that "personal relationship" doesn't mean that there's a language in common.  If there isn't someone to run interference here, well.  Woops.  (I know someone whose ability to interpret signs is fairly good for the powers they honour who aren't their patron.  Their patron?  Totally incapable of hearing a thing she says 99% of the time.)

* some numinous entities refuse to deal with people who don't approach them correctly, at all.  Which may require a particular practice or mindset, meaning that those entities will not deal with people who aren't already doing some of the right things.

* personal relationships with numinous entities, like with any other sort of people, come and go in complicated ways.

* sometimes they seem to operate under the squeaky wheel principle, where the direct attention of numinous entities is directly proportional to "hooboy, that shit is broken" in a person.  (Both positive and negative attention, as there are entities that like to exploit vulnerabilities as well as those that like to fix certain kinds of problems.)  As people get their act together - and/or get to work on things that need to be worked on - the entities become less overt, or stop being around altogether.  The ones that only care about problems tend to go away when the problems are solved.

* a lot of developing personal relationship involves honouring a particular numinous entity consistently for a period of time, which can lead to learning how to read that entity's communication.  Which is, as noted above, an art/skill/thing.  But the doing the work comes first.  And sometimes doing the work doesn't have the effect of building that sort of interaction, which means that it's probably a good idea to pick out work that's valuable on its own - which comes back to honouring patrons of one's work, one's primary recreations, one's interests, one's needs.

Um.  Other things that I could probably think of at a time not umpty-lump in the morning.  Also.

Even if Develop A Personal Relationship With A Deity were a useful goal (and honestly, I'm not sure it is, any more than I think "Get A Boy/Girlfriend" is a useful goal, given that it tends to get in the way of developing potentially romantic relationships with actual people), it's wicked complicated as a thing.  And whatever picture people have of how that sort of thing happens, it's probably oversimplified to the point of vast incorrectness.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;170049
Seldom have I seen so many oversimplifications, misleading stereotypes, and just plain errors of fact, in just a dozen or so lines.

Sunflower

Ditto. Though, I outright laughed at it.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:02:10 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;170003
I have searched for meaningful practice and have yet to find it but I shall keep trying but I am fast running out of ideas. I even did a few rituals that I have read in books and ones I had found online from various traditions to see how they felt. Some felt awkward to perform, some felt completely wrong for me, others I didn't feel a connection to at all. I have yet to find a practice that felt "meaningful" to me at all.

If you take 'a few' baking courses, you might still not be able to make delicious macarons. If you take 'a few' swimming lessons you might still be stuck dog paddling around the pool. 'A few' dance classes isn't going to turn you into a ballerina.

I'm not saying you should stick with anything that makes you actively uncomfortable, but trying something a few times may not give you enough experience to truly judge if it is useful for you. Compounding this issue is the fact that a lot of rituals have layers that are not immediately apparent when you're first starting out: something as simple as a quarter call can become more meaningful with practice and a knowledge base that grows as your practice does.

Gods don't always call to people. That's not a bad thing - your spiritual path is not, after all, entirely dictated by them. Even if you do get a patron somewhere along the line, it is ultimately up to YOU, the physical being, to create a practice meaningful and beneficial for yourself.

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;170049
Seldom have I seen so many oversimplifications, misleading stereotypes, and just plain errors of fact, in just a dozen or so lines.

Well, at least we agree to some extent, since I have much the same opinion of you as you evidently have of me. :p

Perhaps you would like to list the errors of fact. Simplifications I will own up to — an adequate discussion would require a dozen pages, not lines. For example, not all Hindus believe in reincarnation, but how many Lingayats have you ever encountered?
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 01:23:10 am »
Quote from: DavidMcCann;170103
Perhaps you would like to list the errors of fact. Simplifications I will own up to — an adequate discussion would require a dozen pages, not lines. For example, not all Hindus believe in reincarnation, but how many Lingayats have you ever encountered?

Most glaringly, 'the Nine Noble Truths of Heathens': that would be Nine Noble Virtues. That might seem to you to be trivial nitpicking about word choice - but words mean things, and those two words are not synonyms; the difference in word meaning changes the meaning of the phrase significantly.

Your structure of, 'If you believe (or, don't believe) A, X and Y religions are out,' is not just simplification, but in several cases is oversimplification to the point of creating an error of fact: that is, it is false that it rules out those religions. (Often false on two counts: that of that particular belief, and that of positing 'belief' as the pivotal factor when speaking of orthopraxic religions.)

If you cannot avoid actual misrepresentation without taking twelve pages to do it, then take twelve pages - we don't object to long, substantial, meaty posts that do justice to a subject, but misrepresentation is likely to be challenged.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32:47 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;170112

If you cannot avoid actual misrepresentation without taking twelve pages to do it, then take twelve pages - we don't object to long, substantial, meaty posts that do justice to a subject, but misrepresentation is likely to be challenged.

Sunflower

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SunflowerP again.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:54 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;169890
My advice: stop trying.

Any power worth honouring will value that.

Truth.  Or as I always told my students.  Be an instrument not a tool.
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 10:17:02 am »
Quote from: Geroth;169884
Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. :)

As it was already stated: stop trying.  Is that what you want to hear?  Probably not.  Will it cause your search to stop?  Nope.  :)

Square peg, round hole.  Seems to me you are approaching this too logically.  'I've researched this, prayed to that, meditated on this.'  All that is great, but seems you are lacking the one thing that is the foundation for all religion.  Faith.  I could be wrong mind you, but you need to seek yourself first.  WHY are you wanting a patron?  Because everyone else does and all the books say so?  Or are you more like a dog that chases cars... what are you going to do once you catch one?

Ever heard the phrase "let go and let god"?  Quit trying to force it.

Personally I think you should look at Chaos.  Law/Order does not seem to be working well for you.  Your research has come for naught.  

Some thoughts to dwell on: When you find that you are falling, you have two choices... scream and flail around and try to figure out how to survive.  Or accept it and Dive.  :)
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;170069
Another thing:  "having a patron deity", even in the sense of personal relationship, it's... not at all simple.

I don't have a ton more I could add to this, except to point out that a lot of times, people will bullshit about this. Sometimes, it's a case of using "patron" differently... i.e. one person will mean "that special intimate relationship where I was thwapped by a God" and another will mean "I just like this God and have a dedicated altar to him/her/it at home".

And sometimes people will make it up because it sounds way cooler to say you're "God Bothered" all the time.

I have a personal intimate relationship with Brigid, and she thwapped me. I've had other Gods come in and out of my life from time to time... Bast will show up because she's my husband's patron and we have two cats. Loki occasionally shows up with a suitcase to fuck up my life and make things interesting.

But I also have fulfilling relationships with Gods who I just like to work with in ritual... Cernunnos and Manannan mac Lir, Rhiannon. The Greenman, and the abstract Lord and Lady of Wicca. And that's because I just like those Gods, and choose to honor them in ritual either in their season or because I wish their help with something. Or I just like their style.

So there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey, I like Athena, I'd like to work with her for a while" and putting up a home shrine to Athena and considering her a patron. And there's nothing wrong with doing that for a while and then deciding to try establishing a relationship with Odin.

Maybe you'll find that special "thwap", maybe you won't. But you'll have taken the time to establish meaningful relationships with some Gods. I mean, every person you meet won't be your best friend, and you probably won't have the same best friend for your whole life, but you can establish strong friendships with many people, right?

Karen

StagTracker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 04:20:32 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;169884
I have been trying to find my patrons for quite some time. I have read tons of material about gods from many different pantheons but have had no results, nothing has come to me. Is there any way you would recommend to best find out who they are? I have thought about trying meditation. However I respond better to guided meditations and I have yet to find any guided meditations to find your patrons.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. :)

I support what has been said in this thread about making the transition at some point from reading and research to actually cultivating a practice wherein you are doing something, even if you decide after a while you need to do something else.  I suspect you are similar to me in that I often tend to fall into the trap of thinking sufficient research up front will streamline the process once you get into the phase of actually doing something.  In some cases that is true, but in many cases it is not.  Case in point, when I was learning archery and how to track and hunt, I could read a lot about choosing the best locations for finding deer sign and all, but it never really came together until I was actually out in nature collecting observations and learning from doing.

It is important to lay the groundwork through reading and such, but at some point you have to stop tweaking and start doing.  You have to cast off your moorings and set sail and see what you discover.  Your practice will also be forged by your experiences, and you can't have experiences if you're not putting yourself out there to have them.  The learning is often more in the doing than what we consider learning in the detached, academic sense.  

Instead of stressing a lot about patron deities, just see what deities resonate with you.  Speaking solely for myself, my path evolves most when I worry less about specific destinations and just open myself up to the journey.  In doing so, I have encountered beings I never knew about and may have blinded myself to if I was so focused on where I hoped to be that I didn't stop to look around at where I was and who was there trying to get my attention.  For example, I was so focused on Cernunnos for a while until I had a vision where a stag raised its head to reveal that it was a woman in a stag headdress... which led me in the direction of Elen of the Ways and Flidais.

Tags: