Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Thinking of trying something new...post-Ragnarok heathenry?  (Read 12262 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Thinking of trying something new...post-Ragnarok heathenry?
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:49:54 pm »
I really want to participate in this year's blog project and to also get reinvolved with heathenry. So I went on  google scholar earlier to research more on the Norse-Germanic cultural significance of doorways/thresholds , and to see if anything with personal significance took the bait.

I came across a couple of articles that did that, one in particular: "The Twilight of the Gods: the Norwegian Stave Church as a Representation of the Pagan End of the World"(Stone). Though tbh, I haven't read it all the way through. What I have read is that Germanic pagans eventually accepted the Christian Conversion as Ragnarok--

"When Christianity arrived at Scandinavia in the middle of the Viking Age (793-1066), the pagans did not entirely reject it, recognizing in it that Ragnarok—the twilight of the gods—was on the horizon.3"

Not that my personal problems are equal to the conversion, but on a micro scale I resonated with that sense of loss, and letting go of,  one's absolute belief in gods. ...But still holding on to the belief that in a way, even that loss is still a part of that spirituality.

According to the article, stave churches intentionally depicted Ragnarok. The architectural design is reminiscent of inverted ships to represent Naglfar. The doors are carved with images of Nidhoggr and Yggdrasil, to represent the external  devouring of the pagan world and the rebirth of passing into a new Christian one.

So, for all the intents and purposes, I'm comfortable (though saddened) with the idea that the old gods have died. If not completely eradicated by Christianity, at least existing on life support. And so it is with my own personal faith.

Obviously I'm not the first person to wonder if it makes more sense to worship the post-Ragnarok gods. But I haven't read any material from anyone that has. I'm curious to hear about what your personal experiences or thoughts are on this. If you know of any links to people who have built something similar. Any input is appreciated really.

Thanks!
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of trying something new...post-Ragnarok heathenry?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:03:16 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169874
Thinking of trying something new...post-Ragnarok heathenry

Which I guess would probably be the heathen equivalent of Mormonism...:rolleye::
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:22:39 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169874
So, for all the intents and purposes, I'm comfortable (though saddened) with the idea that the old gods have died.

I'm gonna want to get a lot more thinkier on my thoughts when it comes to the definition of deity and the implications of this event on then-defined deities in terms of cosmology and practice within a belief system, before answering like that.

But when I got thwapped by Loki, one of my thoughts was, "Wait, shouldn't you be a bit tied up at the moment?" I then figured that maybe Ragnarok already happened, but completely forgot about the actual thing that would happen (doom of the gods) when the doom of the gods happened. Don't I feel foolish!

So…Lif, Lifthrasir and...?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:49:36 am »
Quote from: Faemon;169880
I'm gonna want to get a lot more thinkier on my thoughts when it comes to the definition of deity and the implications of this event on then-defined deities in terms of cosmology and practice within a belief system, before answering like that.

I define it like some other heathens; 'god' is a job title not a race. So for me the question would be in defining death of a god. Is it simply the end of their career or the end of their existence? (I'll come back to try and answer that later.)

And, if converting pagans were willing to accept Ragnarok metaphorically, how literal would we have to be?

So…Lif, Lifthrasir and...?

Aegir, Vidar, Vali, Hoenir, Vili, Magni, Modi, Hermóðr, Forseti and Ull. Frigg, Sif, Thrud, Idun, Saga, Eir, Gefjun, Fulla, Sjofn, Lofn, Var, Vor, Syn and Hlin. (Wikipedia)

Though I'm curious if it's just assumed that the spouses would retain their posiition of deity after their mate dies just because they weren't explicitly stated as dying.

Megatherium

• View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169883
I define it like some other heathens; 'god' is a job title not a race. So for me the question would be in defining death of a god. Is it simply the end of their career or the end of their existence? (I'll come back to try and answer that later.)

I think if the lack of human worship is powerful enough to "kill" (end the existence) of a God, than couldn't the reestablishment of their cult "resurrect" them?

I personally don't think that human worship can create or destroy a being, but it can establish, change, and even destroy a relationship. In that case, the conversion to Christianity would be something more like a divorce and remarriage rather than a murder. In which case, modern Heathenry could be seen as nothing more dramatic than reestablishing a relationship with an old friend or romantic partner.

I will attempt to respectfully disagree with you, if indeed you are saying that Gods such as Aegir, Vidar, etc. should be the focus of worship because they "survived" Ragnarok.  If the conversion to Christianity is the main event which destroyed the relationship with these Gods, than it doesn't seem to matter if they are mentioned as "surviving" Ragnarok, because their status as beings worthy of religious veneration did not continue any more than such traditions did with Odin, Thor and Freyr (if I recall correctly, these are the only Gods mentioned as specifically dying during Ragnarok?)

Finally, although the worship of these Gods ceased during conversion, they have continued to play a role in the culture as "mythological" deities. I increasingly think that our relationships with these deities never really ended, they were just transformed into something other than the overt religious worship that characterized their cults before conversion. So Odin went from being the guy that the whole community prays to together, to the guy who leads the Wild Hunt in the winter.

In short, I don't think that the Elder Gods are "dead" any more than a friend you haven't talked to in years is dead. If the situation arises, a fruitful relationship can be reestablished. And that's exactly what I think modern Heathens and Pagans are doing.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;169901
I think if the lack of human worship is powerful enough to "kill" (end the existence) of a God, than couldn't the reestablishment of their cult "resurrect" them?

I personally don't think that human worship can create or destroy a being, but it can establish, change, and even destroy a relationship. In that case, the conversion to Christianity would be something more like a divorce and remarriage rather than a murder. In which case, modern Heathenry could be seen as nothing more dramatic than reestablishing a relationship with an old friend or romantic partner.

I don't think people can kill gods either, but I do believe fate can. Which is something that Odin understood according to the Eddas.

If Scandinavians did view the conversion as the coming of Ragnarok and they watched it spreading across N.Europe, then it's entirely possible that they understood it in the language of their culture.

For example, Odin is swallowed by the wolf Fenrir, whose name translates to fen-dweller. Fen is of course water, and therefore Odin is swallowed up by the wolf's water. IOW, Christian baptism, which was forcefully and brutally performed in some cases. Thor, whose tree was felled, is poisoned by the serpent Jormungandr, the great girdle of Catholic Rome encircling the earth.

Swallowed up and poisoned by is, IMO, language reminiscent of assimilation and syncretism. Freyr (sacral lordship) dies because he gave his sword for a wife. The conversion really kicked off when Clovis took on his wife's religion, and it was often  Germanic leadership that set the example of conversion for the rest of the tribe.  

It gets really bloody with Charlemagne, and I think most heathens probably began to understand that conversion was inevitable. Thus, the great battle that was the twilight of the gods.

The Aesir were going to fall. The world was going to change. But, like anything in nature, there is a spring after winter.

I will attempt to respectfully disagree with you, if indeed you are saying that Gods such as Aegir, Vidar, etc. should be the focus of worship because they "survived" Ragnarok.  If the conversion to Christianity is the main event which destroyed the relationship with these Gods, than it doesn't seem to matter if they are mentioned as "surviving" Ragnarok, because their status as beings worthy of religious veneration did not continue any more than such traditions did with Odin, Thor and Freyr (if I recall correctly, these are the only Gods mentioned as specifically dying during Ragnarok?)

I have an idea that the new gods should be worshipped not because they "survived" Ragnarok, but because they are the gods best prepared to lead in a new world.

The world that the old gods ruled over doesn't exist anymore. As a reconstructionist, I've tried adapting that world to this one and it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. There are traditions, folklore, customs and beliefs that remain, just like the playing pieces on the fields of Idavoll, but it's also a new game.

I don't think Odin is absent, but he's passed the torch. His work is done. He built what he could, sacrificed what he could, made the impact that he did so that something would survive Ragnarok, and that has been accomplished. If Ragnarok happens when Odin is swallowed by the literal collapse of the universe then yeah, we wait. If Ragnarok happens when Odin and the old gods are no longer reginn, then that happened ages ago.

Finally, although the worship of these Gods ceased during conversion, they have continued to play a role in the culture as "mythological" deities. I increasingly think that our relationships with these deities never really ended, they were just transformed into something other than the overt religious worship that characterized their cults before conversion. So Odin went from being the guy that the whole community prays to together, to the guy who leads the Wild Hunt in the winter.

I think if heathen architects built their churches to depict the heathen apocalypse, with the world tree on its doors, then it was meant, in some way, to also represent the possibility of Lif and Lifpasir hiding within. And I think this is shown in how well Germanic spirituality severely transformed early Christianity. But to survive Christianity, heathenism had to become a part of it. And now it's almost an impossible task to truly separate them. This is how the gods are 'lost'.

Whats interesting is that the gods who 'survive' are the ones who couldn't be corrupted. Vidar is mute. Hoenir is blind. Baldr is dead. In a post-ragnarok world, they are now capable of providing uncompromised wit, countenance, and soul respectively.  Like Vili, Ve and Odin.

In short, I don't think that the Elder Gods are "dead" any more than a friend you haven't talked to in years is dead. If the situation arises, a fruitful relationship can be reestablished. And that's exactly what I think modern Heathens and Pagans are doing.

I also think it's possible to have a relationship with the old gods, but like retired advisors. The new gods are more suited to this world.

Anyway. Just an idea. Still needs work. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:17:40 pm by Juniperberry »

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:03 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169909
I also think it's possible to have a relationship with the old gods, but like retired advisors. The new gods are more suited to this world.

I'm uncomfortable with the part about the old gods not being suited to this world. That implies a type of weakness. Taking a break and letting others handle it feels better.

Megatherium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169909
I don't think people can kill gods either, but I do believe fate can. Which is something that Odin understood according to the Eddas.

If Scandinavians did view the conversion as the coming of Ragnarok and they watched it spreading across N.Europe, then it's entirely possible that they understood it in the language of their culture.

For example, Odin is swallowed by the wolf Fenrir, whose name translates to fen-dweller. Fen is of course water, and therefore Odin is swallowed up by the wolf's water. IOW, Christian baptism, which was forcefully and brutally performed in some cases. Thor, whose tree was felled, is poisoned by the serpent Jormungandr, the great girdle of Catholic Rome encircling the earth.

Swallowed up and poisoned by is, IMO, language reminiscent of assimilation and syncretism. Freyr (sacral lordship) dies because he gave his sword for a wife. The conversion really kicked off when Clovis took on his wife's religion, and it was often  Germanic leadership that set the example of conversion for the rest of the tribe.  

It gets really bloody with Charlemagne, and I think most heathens probably began to understand that conversion was inevitable. Thus, the great battle that was the twilight of the gods.

The Aesir were going to fall. The world was going to change. But, like anything in nature, there is a spring after winter.

I have an idea that the new gods should be worshipped not because they "survived" Ragnarok, but because they are the gods best prepared to lead in a new world.

The world that the old gods ruled over doesn't exist anymore. As a reconstructionist, I've tried adapting that world to this one and it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. There are traditions, folklore, customs and beliefs that remain, just like the playing pieces on the fields of Idavoll, but it's also a new game.

I don't think Odin is absent, but he's passed the torch. His work is done. He built what he could, sacrificed what he could, made the impact that he did so that something would survive Ragnarok, and that has been accomplished. If Ragnarok happens when Odin is swallowed by the literal collapse of the universe then yeah, we wait. If Ragnarok happens when Odin and the old gods are no longer reginn, then that happened ages ago.

I think if heathen architects built their churches to depict the heathen apocalypse, with the world tree on its doors, then it was meant, in some way, to also represent the possibility of Lif and Lifpasir hiding within. And I think this is shown in how well Germanic spirituality severely transformed early Christianity. But to survive Christianity, heathenism had to become a part of it. And now it's almost an impossible task to truly separate them. This is how the gods are 'lost'.

Whats interesting is that the gods who 'survive' are the ones who couldn't be corrupted. Vidar is mute. Hoenir is blind. Baldr is dead. In a post-ragnarok world, they are now capable of providing uncompromised wit, countenance, and soul respectively.  Like Vili, Ve and Odin.

As a potential model that works for you, or for other heathens who feel similarly, I think it's beautiful. There's a heck of a lot of things you've articulated which strike me as pure poetry - the "pieces" modern heathens have to work with being compared with the game pieces in Idavoll, Heathenry "hiding" within Christianity, the Old Gods being "lost" as heathenry can't be easily separated from Christianity, etc.

But just to be clear - are you actually saying that Heathens who worship Odin/Thor/Freyr are "doing it wrong"?

I don't think that's the case, but in case it is, all I can do is quote the immortal words of the dude.

"That's like, your opinion, man."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:53:18 pm by Megatherium »
-George W. Bush

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;169926
As a potential model that works for you, or for other heathens who feel similarly, I think it's beautiful. There's a heck of a lot of things you've articulated which strike me as pure poetry - the "pieces" modern heathens have to work with being compared with the game pieces in Idavoll, Heathenry "hiding" within Christianity, the Old Gods being "lost" as heathenry can't be easily separated from Christianity, etc.

But just to be clear - are you actually saying that Heathens who worship Odin/Thor/Freyr are "doing it wrong"?

I don't think that's the case, but in case it is, all I can do is quote the immortal words of the dude.

"That's like, your opinion, man."

Good question. Usually when I think of these things I'm so focused on one side of the coin that I forget to consider the other. So I really appreciate your input.

My best answer is that its wibbily wobbly timey wimey. We already agree that mythic time is not as concrete as human time. Is Loki bound or isn't he is a big one. And I think the world of rural Russia, or the world of Indigenous Amazonians, are much closer to pre-Ragnarok then New York is for example. The good thing about Ragnarok not being a literal, global event is that its possible to fiddle with its time line. And thats also compatible with the flexible polytheistic beliefs of early heathenry. The myth of Ragnarok didn't mention how Zeus, Quezecotal (sp?), or the Morrigan fared...because it is only relevant to those it is actually relevant to.

The headspace of some heathens may exist in a pre-Ragnarok world, while others may exist post-Ragnarok. I think it doesn't matter in the long run, even considering the linear nature of wyrd, because new gods and new people seem to fall into their spaces of cyclical fate. And we're all subject to that.  Vili, Ve and Odin are a later installment of the Hermiones, Istavones, Ingavones, and Vidar, Baldr and Honir could replace that. Hengst and Horsa replace The Alcis, and Magni and Modi may replace them. History repeats itself.

As a non-godbothered person, the implications of post-Ragnarok heathenry are kind of exciting. Because with recon I did sometimes feel like I was dealing with ghosts. What gods was I supposed to hear, see and feel, if Vidar is silent, Hoenir is blind, and Baldr is dead? But if I turn to Idavoll, and see a heathenry  that's new, then the potential to hear, see and feel is new.  Its an adventure.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:52:19 pm by Juniperberry »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:34:02 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169930
As a non-godbothered person, the implications of post-Ragnarok heathenry are kind of exciting. Because with recon I did sometimes feel like I was dealing with ghosts. What gods was I supposed to hear, see and feel, if Vidar is silent, Hoenir is blind, and Baldr is dead? But if I turn to Idavoll, and see a heathenry  that's new, then the potential to hear, see and feel is new.  Its an adventure.

I've actually wondered about this before, so I'm enjoying the theory here a lot and I'd love to see what your results from working in this paradigm are.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:30 pm »
Quote from: Jack;169934
I've actually wondered about this before, so I'm enjoying the theory here a lot and I'd love to see what your results from working in this paradigm are.

Thanks. I'm really excited to get to work on this, which is a great feeling. Here's hoping I can follow through with it to someplace useful.

I was thinking outloud above when I was comparing new gods to their older counterparts, and some of the foundational structures of heathenry like the triad, but I think maybe the best place to start would be in really defining/pinpointing those? Or would you have a different suggestion?

But first things first...I should probably stop procrastinating and read the Eddas again. :o
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:48:02 pm by Juniperberry »

Megatherium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169930
Good question. Usually when I think of these things I'm so focused on one side of the coin that I forget to consider the other. So I really appreciate your input.

My best answer is that its wibbily wobbly timey wimey. We already agree that mythic time is not as concrete as human time. Is Loki bound or isn't he is a big one. And I think the world of rural Russia, or the world of Indigenous Amazonians, are much closer to pre-Ragnarok then New York is for example. The good thing about Ragnarok not being a literal, global event is that its possible to fiddle with its time line. And thats also compatible with the flexible polytheistic beliefs of early heathenry. The myth of Ragnarok didn't mention how Zeus, Quezecotal (sp?), or the Morrigan fared...because it is only relevant to those it is actually relevant to.

The headspace of some heathens may exist in a pre-Ragnarok world, while others may exist post-Ragnarok. I think it doesn't matter in the long run, even considering the linear nature of wyrd, because new gods and new people seem to fall into their spaces of cyclical fate. And we're all subject to that.  Vili, Ve and Odin are a later installment of the Hermiones, Istavones, Ingavones, and Vidar, Baldr and Honir could replace that. Hengst and Horsa replace The Alcis, and Magni and Modi may replace them. History repeats itself.

Alright, interesting stuff here. Mayhap I can ask a few questions that will help you better articulate your ideas?

I went back to my translations of the Eddas, and I found explicit references to Odin, Thor, Freyr, and Tyr dying in Ragnarok. I also found references to Vidar, Vali, Magni, Modi, Baldr, Hod, Hoenir surviving, a likely reference to Njord in the Vafthrudnismal, and from the same text, a reference to "Sol" giving birth to a daughter.

My question is how your perceive the role of deities that are not expressly mentioned as either surviving or dying during Ragnarok; Frigga, Freya, Skadi, Bragi, Idunna, Mani, Ullr, Eir etc. In one of the earlier posts you seemed to indicate that these deities would have a role in post-Ragnarok Heathenry. Would you see these deities as continuing to have similar functions as they do in Eddic mythology?

Secondly, how would you perceive a "deity" like Holda/Holle whose only references seem to exist in post-conversion continental traditions? Would she be seen as a "new deity"? Or given that her functions overlap to some extent with Frigga and Freya, could Holle be the post-Ragnarok version of those Goddesses?

Finally, how would you perceive the existence of deities mentioned as dying in Ragnarok who continued to have some role in folklore? Is Odin's role as one of the leaders of the Wild Hunt a "new" function for a deity who no longer functions as the sort of "King of Asgard"?
-George W. Bush

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;169962
Alright, interesting stuff here. Mayhap I can ask a few questions that will help you better articulate your ideas?

Absolutely!

I went back to my translations of the Eddas, and I found explicit references to Odin, Thor, Freyr, and Tyr dying in Ragnarok. I also found references to Vidar, Vali, Magni, Modi, Baldr, Hod, Hoenir surviving, a likely reference to Njord in the Vafthrudnismal, and from the same text, a reference to "Sol" giving birth to a daughter.

My question is how your perceive the role of deities that are not expressly mentioned as either surviving or dying during Ragnarok; Frigga, Freya, Skadi, Bragi, Idunna, Mani, Ullr, Eir etc. In one of the earlier posts you seemed to indicate that these deities would have a role in post-Ragnarok Heathenry. Would you see these deities as continuing to have similar functions as they do in Eddic mythology?

I'm working on a few things. Like you, I went over some translations last night and some interesting ideas came up. It's still 'in development', but I think the functions of deity remain eternal, it's just figuring out who will fill that role.

Bellow's translation makes it sound like the volva is speaking to Odin:

Hearing I ask | from the holy races,
From Heimdall's sons, | both high and low;
Thou wilt, Valfather, | that well I relate
Old tales I remember | of men long ago.

While Thorpe's translation makes it sound like a Volva is talking about Odin:

For silence I pray all sacred children, great and small,
sons of Heimdall,[5] they will that I Valfather's deeds recount,
men's ancient saws, those that I best remember.

Thorpe's translation works best with post-Ragnarok heathenry. She's asking men to listen to the deeds of Odin. This reminds me so much of the whole point of the heathen warrior worldview. Kings/chiefs died so that their tales could be told by skalds. It was an important symbiotic relationship. However, we also know that the body of dead kings still had luck and power.

I imagine an old woman sitting with her converted grandchildren, recounting tales of the old gods, as she is meant to.

Ok. So there's that.

Next I noticed this. The volva doesn't ask if anyone wants to know more until she starts talking about Odin's pledge.

Bellow:
26. In swelling rage | then rose up Thor,--
Seldom he sits | when he such things hears,--
And the oaths were broken, | the words and bonds,
The mighty pledges | between them made.
27. I know of the horn | of Heimdall, hidden
Under the high-reaching | holy tree;
On it there pours | from Valfather's pledge
A mighty stream: | would you know yet more?

28. Alone I sat | when the Old One sought me,
The terror of gods, | and gazed in mine eyes:
"What hast thou to ask? | why comest thou hither?
Othin, I know | where thine eye is hidden."

29. I know where Othin's | eye is hidden,
Deep in the wide-famed | well of Mimir;
Mead from the pledge | of Othin each mom
Does Mimir drink: | would you know yet more?

Thorpe:
"Of what wouldst thou ask me? Why temptest thou me?
Odin! I know all, where thou thine eye didst sink in the pure well of Mim."
Mim drinks mead each morn from Valfather's pledge.[8] Understand ye yet, or what?

She knows that Heimdall's horn is hidden under the heaven-bright holy tree.
A river she sees flow, with foamy fall, from Valfather's pledge.
Understand ye yet, or what?

She is emphasizing his pledge, and, by mentioning that Heimdall's horn is now hidden in the tree and not on Bifrost, she might be alluding to post-ragnarok.

I think there might be some parallels between Mim's preserved head and Odin's preserved eye, and that maybe the function of immortal, wise council was pledged to both at the loss of their functioning form. I wonder if Odin's price was an eye, because one of the surviving gods would be blind.

I think Odin's eye is hidden in Hoenir/Hodir, the new one-eyed god who'll seek council at the well.

63. Then Hönir wins | the prophetic wand, (Bellows)

Correction:  He has Odin's eye and Odin's staff.

Ok, I don't think I answer your question at all, but this is whats taking up all the space in my head. I'll come back later and give a better answer. :)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:01:35 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;169962

OK, stream of consciousnesses aside...

I think it would make a ton of sense for the older generation goddesses to take on new roles as Matronae. The matriarchs.

I'm not sure about the older gods. Presumably they weren't in direct conflict with enemies, and didn't engage, and this would suggest that they're separate from the politics of Ragnarok.. Bragi, though, may be a deified poet. It would make sense for him to be married to Idunn, since its poetry as well that gives immortality to heroes. Mani is consumed at Ragnarok. Ullr... I have no idea.

Secondly, how would you perceive a "deity" like Holda/Holle whose only references seem to exist in post-conversion continental traditions? Would she be seen as a "new deity"? Or given that her functions overlap to some extent with Frigga and Freya, could Holle be the post-Ragnarok version of those Goddesses?

I don't think deities like Holda are impacted by this as much though because these types of goddesses never functioned within the circle of politics and law. They were always in their own little world, so to speak.

Finally, how would you perceive the existence of deities mentioned as dying in Ragnarok who continued to have some role in folklore? Is Odin's role as one of the leaders of the Wild Hunt a "new" function for a deity who no longer functions as the sort of "King of Asgard"?

If Odin is an advisor now, I could see him in a role of decreased influence. This isn't unusual at all. Tyr was replaced by Odin as chief god.

Lots to think over.

Megatherium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;169985

I think there might be some parallels between Mim's preserved head and Odin's preserved eye, and that maybe the function of immortal, wise council was pledged to both at the loss of their functioning form. I wonder if Odin's price was an eye, because one of the surviving gods would be blind.

I think Odin's eye is hidden in Hoenir/Hodir, the new one-eyed god who'll seek council at the well.

I may be misreading you here, but I quite like the idea of aspects of Pre-Ragnarok Gods continuing to exist within the "new" Gods. So perhaps what perished during Ragnarok was not so much Odin himself, but "Odin-King of Asgard"? He is no longer the ruling God of the tribes politics, but he continues to exist, and has a reduced, but still functional role at the margins of people's awareness? I can't help but think here of how the old deities continued to function in the shadows of folklore and as "mythological" figures, this perhaps being the only roles they could sustain after Ragnarok.

But this does beg the question regarding the fact that Odin/Thor/Freyr/Tyr have been far more prominent in modern Heathenry than Magni, Vidar, etc. Now the roles of Odin/Thor/Freyr/Tyr are a bit different in modern Heathenry, given that the social context in utterly different than in post-conversion times, but I still think that Gods may be willing to change their relationship with groups of humans, and that those relationships can be revived just as much as they can be reduced.

Quote from: Juniperberry;169998
OK, stream of consciousnesses aside...

I think it would make a ton of sense for the older generation goddesses to take on new roles as Matronae. The matriarchs.

I quite like this idea, but just to be an arse, which Goddesses do you think would have the role that Frigg/Freya did in the past given that there does not seem to be any mention of "new" Goddesses emerging after Ragnarok?

Mani is consumed at Ragnarok.

Ah yes, of course. I should have remembered that. Pretty poor perusing on my part.
(However, I could have sworn I saw him just the other night...;)

I don't think deities like Holda are impacted by this as much though because these types of goddesses never functioned within the circle of politics and law. They were always in their own little world, so to speak.  

Yes, I could certainly see this. Holle was never the "queen of the tribe" so to speak (that we know of anyway). I do wonder though, given the amount of overlap between Frigga and freya and the fact that Hold only appears (perhaps?) after Frigga and Freya's (public) worship ceases, that perhaps Holle is Frigga/Freya/Freja? in a new role? (Frigga/Freya/Holle are the most important deities to me personally, and i can't really decide if they are one or three Goddesses. I often worship them together as a triad)
-George W. Bush

Tags: