collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Deity Representation  (Read 2337 times)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Deity Representation
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »
I honor several different deities, but there really are no statues to represent these Gods. I was wondering if certain object, or other deity statues would be okay to use in the place of. I just feel it would help me focus more during ritual to have sort of representation of my Gods. Any feedback would be great on this topic, and also if you have ideas and or objects and other things you use to represent you Gods.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Deity Representation
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;169798
I honor several different deities, but there really are no statues to represent these Gods. I was wondering if certain object, or other deity statues would be okay to use in the place of. I just feel it would help me focus more during ritual to have sort of representation of my Gods. Any feedback would be great on this topic, and also if you have ideas and or objects and other things you use to represent you Gods.

I don't see why not. Some people use stones (sunstone for Gods and moonstone for Goddesses, rose quartz for Gods and Goddesses of love, and so forth).
I talk to plants.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:01 pm »

Do you mean that there are no statues available, or that the deities do not have forms that could be represented by a statue?

FWIW, I'm fairly artsy and I made all my own shrine images, variously out of watercolor, acrylic paints, wood and salt dough. I think we had a thread recently about repurposing figures from one deity to another ... *searches* here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:32:18 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;169807
Do you mean that there are no statues available, or that the deities do not have forms that could be represented by a statue?

FWIW, I'm fairly artsy and I made all my own shrine images, variously out of watercolor, acrylic paints, wood and salt dough. I think we had a thread recently about repurposing figures from one deity to another ... *searches* here.
Yes, there are no statues available. I'm not a very artsy guy, so I don't know how it would turn out, lol. Thanks for the link. I just really would like some representation of my deities that i can focus on. Be that a statue or an image or object.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:05:31 pm »
I was wondering if certain object, or other deity statues would be okay to use in the place of. I just feel it would help me focus more during ritual to have sort of representation of my Gods. Any feedback would be great on this topic, and also if you have ideas and or objects and other things you use to represent you Gods.

Assuming it's ok with the gods in question, you should use whatever representations work for you.

Are there any symbols that are associated with your gods? Specific objects?  Plants or animals? Colors?

I'm a dedicant of Brighid. There are a number of Brighid statues available, but I don't like them.  So I have a few other kinds of representations. I'm also not a very craftsy person. But I was able to find several things that work for me.

One is a very stylized female goddess sculpture, which "feels" more like Brighid to me than any of the statues purporting to be "of Brighid".  I also have other objects that symbolize Brighid, including various Brighid's crosses, a cup of water, candles and an oil lamp (actually, it's the *flame* that is the representation), a sun candle holder, a sun I made out of polymer clay, a small clay sheep that my daughter made years ago, and a flame-shaped piece of driftwood.

If you think about the characteristics of your gods, as well as things that are associated with them, you might come up with a similar list.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:25:21 am »
... also if you have ideas and or objects and other things you use to represent you Gods.

Hey, Cryfder!  I'll second what Aster has mentioned.  As long as those you honor are in agreement, you can use whatever object works for the both of you.  It's all about the relationship between you.  How you characterize their qualities and the symbology that fits those characterizations in your mind is what matters.

I work with Epona.  Most people think horses, specifically white mares, or possibly roses when Epona is mentioned.  Me, I think keys.  Specifically, old skeleton styled keys.  I have a specific key earring that I wear to honor Epona.  Among other aspects, Epona is a psychopomp and uses the key to open the way to the afterlife for the souls she guides across.  That's not how I see the key, though.

Epona is also a goddess of sovereignty.  For me, the key is a emblematic of the "keys to the kingdom" as well as a symbol for knowledge.  In my mind, a good ruler is a knowledgeable and wise ruler.  So, there you go.  That's as much as I am aware of why I associate keys with Epona.  I'm sure I'll uncover more meaning further down the road ;)

It may seem odd but if you are focused on finding a figurine or piece of artwork to represent the deities you honor I have a couple of suggestions.  Have you considered either the lead figures that tabel top gamers use for their games such as D&D and Pathfinder?  There are an astonishing array of fantasy figures that have been produced and it could be that you'll find something close to what you're looking for.  There's nothing saying you can't modify one of those figures, either.

Another possibility would be the collectible trading card games such as Magic: The Gathering or  Legend of the Cryptids, etc.  As weird as it sounds, the artists creating cards for these games produce some amazing artwork.  A fair number of them are over on DeviantArt.  I've never been attracted to these types of games but I have to admit that the artwork, in many cases, is quite well done.  It's not the expected use for the art, and I'm sure some would scoff, but if you're drawn to a particular image who's to say it's less valid than a framed print you saw in a new age shop?
Reality is but perception.

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:23:44 am »

As long as it's a meaningful symbol, it works. I for instance use merely a sowilo rune when dealing with sun deities most of the time.

Quote from: Gaudior;169800
I don't see why not. Some people use stones (sunstone for Gods and moonstone for Goddesses, rose quartz for Gods and Goddesses of love, and so forth).

Can only imagine how awkward that would be when working with sun goddesses and lunar gods.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:03:33 am »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;169829
Can only imagine how awkward that would be when working with sun goddesses and lunar gods.

I gave you rep for that line alone. The most badass solar deity I know is Amaterasu Omikami. She is definitely FEMALE. And yeah, her pitiful brother got the moon...
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:11 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;169842
I gave you rep for that line alone. The most badass solar deity I know is Amaterasu Omikami. She is definitely FEMALE. And yeah, her pitiful brother got the moon...

Why, thank you.

Suffice to say, at this point in time there is really no excuse to equate the Sun with masculinity or the Moon with feminity other than sheer refusal to research. Hell, the very english words for Sun and Moon come from the anglo-saxonic solar goddess and lunar god, also known as Sól and Máni in norse mythology.

The former of which is quite nice indeed for being represented by the sigel/sowilo rune, which I feel is one of the most powerful and simplest representations of the sun. All needed is simply something to draw a zig-zagging line with.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:02 pm »

Absolutely!  

I was instructed to use an aardvark to represent Neb.y, and I spent a long time (as some people at TC can attest!) looking for something that worked.  Finally, I found a gentleman on Etsy that does glass blowing, and he had an aardvark out of blown glass with gold paint accents.  

It's now in my shrine cabinet, and it represents Big Red perfectly.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »
I honor several different deities, but there really are no statues to represent these Gods. I was wondering if certain object, or other deity statues would be okay to use in the place of.

Firstly, you could search for pictures. In India, poor families can't afford statues, and a picture stuck on the wall is the usual answer. On my altar, I have statues of the household gods, while the god(s) whose festival falls that month get framed cards from Michele-lee Phelan's Mythic oracle of the ancient Greek pantheon.

Secondly, you could search for a figure that is more or less appropriate. Tradition is not rigid. In Hinduism Krishna should be painted blue, and in Hellenism Hermes always has a hat on, but that's it!

Thirdly, aniconic objects are very common. The Shaivites in India use the linga:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aikya_Linga_in_Varanasi.jpg
The image of the Mater Deorum brought from Pessinos to Rome was a meteorite.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

schwertlilie

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:50 pm »

Depending on your living situation, have you considered candles or incense? Aster mentioned them briefly, but I've had a lot of success with candles: I bought a candleholder as a gift for my patron, and the act of lighting the candle is as much an invitation for Him to enter my space as it is an offering and a focus.

The same thing could work with lighting some incense, filling a bowl with water, or anything else that involves deliberate action. I just make sure that's the only thing I use that particular candleholder for, since it's built the cue that "Okay, time to focus on X now."

rian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »
Quote from: schwertlilie;169996

The same thing could work with lighting some incense, filling a bowl with water, or anything else that involves deliberate action. I just make sure that's the only thing I use that particular candleholder for, since it's built the cue that "Okay, time to focus on X now."

I'll second this (third this?) ... I've found that the entities that I work with are comfortable letting me know what they want to have used to honour them- whatever they need.  Cups, bowls, certain foods or perishables, stones... there are so many options that work abstractly.  I've never found any image that speaks to me for a particular entity I work with, but I've also had very clear direction for 'abstract'ed foci.  Just ask!!
I'll also emphasize the use-it-for-just-that ... no sharing without really clear direction from your deities!!

Tags: