Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Communicating with the tarot?  (Read 1704 times)

Isolde

• View Profile
Communicating with the tarot?
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
After lurking for a while, I recalled seeing some members talking about communicating with gods and goddesses through the tarot. I am very interested in trying this, but I am pretty bad at the tarot (slowly learning to get better, but it's a pretty excruciating process).

Could anyone give me some advice as how to start this type of communication? Or is this considered "advanced" and something I could only learn how to do after mastering the tarot regularly? Is it possible to communicate with someone "lower," such as nature spirits, with this method? I tried searching online for hints, but came up with nothing.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Communicating with the tarot?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Isolde;169701
After lurking for a while, I recalled seeing some members talking about communicating with gods and goddesses through the tarot. I am very interested in trying this, but I am pretty bad at the tarot (slowly learning to get better, but it's a pretty excruciating process).

Could anyone give me some advice as how to start this type of communication? Or is this considered "advanced" and something I could only learn how to do after mastering the tarot regularly? Is it possible to communicate with someone "lower," such as nature spirits, with this method? I tried searching online for hints, but came up with nothing.

For anyone interested in Tarot very useful site http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/
see also their http://www.tarotforum.net/
Borrow some library books on Tarot to read. Sleeping with a Tarot card under the pillow sometimes brings dreams.
Learning something should not be excruciating it is not a chore try to be more relaxed about your study methods. Hope this helps.:)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:00:08 pm »
Could anyone give me some advice as how to start this type of communication? Or is this considered "advanced" and something I could only learn how to do after mastering the tarot regularly?

I wouldn't consider it "advanced" actually so much as "oblique". There's learning the tarot as in memorizing the meanings, elemental dignities, even just getting an intuitive feel for the layers of meaning and which layer you're meant to touch base with when the card comes up in a spread, and then there's learning the tarot.

Sometimes, my deck and I read about the deity or deities, and a few times the deity or deities sort of make the deck into a phone operator.

It isn't the tool itself, though, I think, that makes it a beginner or intermediate or advanced way of communicating...so much as how much trust and clarity your intuition has. You could just develop an instinct for synchronicities, for example, and keep wondering, "Does that flight of birds mean what I think it means? Or do I just want that meaning to be real and I'm projecting it onto the coincidence of birds?" Or you can feel like, "That it. That's a message. This is the meaning of the message."

Same with meditations where you encounter the appearance of deities, and it's going to be through your imagination but not through your deliberation, right, but it's still going to be either, "Is this my subconscious taking over my deliberate imagination or is imagination the medium for the deity?" And, "This is it. This is me meeting with a deity."

It's difficult for me to explain because I don't believe that it's only a matter of confidence or trust in one's own experiences and the interpretation of that experience. Those are more results of the clear intuition, and as for how you know what that is I cannot words you.

So...tl;dr basically getting comfortable with the tarot would be the obvious first step to communicating with deities through the tarot!

Is it possible to communicate with someone "lower," such as nature spirits, with this method?

It depends on the nature spirit, just like it depends on the deity, or depends on how you read, or depends on the deck. If it's just a way for you to clear up the signals that you're getting, then that's what's what; if it's an invitation for the spirit to communicate with you through the deck, or it's up to the deck to translate, then that's what's what.

I would advise against worrying too much about it. It's all very contextual and individual, and it's a learning process. :) I'm only speaking from my personal experience, for instance, and I've obviously got my own biases and standpoint, so.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Isolde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;169712
You could just develop an instinct for synchronicities, for example, and keep wondering, "Does that flight of birds mean what I think it means? Or do I just want that meaning to be real and I'm projecting it onto the coincidence of birds?" Or you can feel like, "That it. That's a message. This is the meaning of the message."

This is my main struggle with tarot. I may draw a card that might have a negative connotation, but I'll find every way around it to shape it into a positive card even if it probably shouldn't be. I also tend to latch onto the little details the cards give me instead of trying to understand the big picture, and struggle with trying to use the proper intuition of when to read a card reversed or not, because I've heard it both ways, but most people have told me to trust your gut with that one.

Thanks both of you for your advice and the provided links! Tarot has always been something I've been interested in, but I've never been very good at it.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:28:42 pm »
Quote from: Isolde;169714
This is my main struggle with tarot. I may draw a card that might have a negative connotation, but I'll find every way around it to shape it into a positive card even if it probably shouldn't be. I also tend to latch onto the little details the cards give me instead of trying to understand the big picture, and struggle with trying to use the proper intuition of when to read a card reversed or not, because I've heard it both ways, but most people have told me to trust your gut with that one.

Thanks both of you for your advice and the provided links! Tarot has always been something I've been interested in, but I've never been very good at it.

Whether you're reading the tarot or communicating with a deity or both at the same time, the clarity between your intuition and yourself is important, yes...but sometimes the way it gets clear is if you just jump into it and keep a record of maybes. Let yourself make mistakes, explore and backpedal. Be safe and sensible, but don't load up on so much criticism that your intuition snuffs out. That's my advice. :)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Isolde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:28:14 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;169719
Whether you're reading the tarot or communicating with a deity or both at the same time, the clarity between your intuition and yourself is important, yes...but sometimes the way it gets clear is if you just jump into it and keep a record of maybes. Let yourself make mistakes, explore and backpedal. Be safe and sensible, but don't load up on so much criticism that your intuition snuffs out. That's my advice. :)

That's a great idea! I'll start keeping a log of Tarot sessions. When I do it with dreams (which has been spotty lately... college started up again, so back to stress dreams!), I tend to find connections that make everything easier and clearer. Thanks so much for your help! Maybe there's hope for me yet. ;)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 11:45:19 pm »

I'm not sure I'd call it 'advanced,' but as Faemon pointed out it's pretty important to be comfortable with the tarot in general in order to be able to judge the responses you get. A god or a spirit could be sending what they perceive to be a clear message through the cards, but it won't do much good if you're still not sure what the cards mean, after all.

As for general learning tips, I think tarot is like most things in that different people learn different ways. My mom, for example, is very intuitive and frequently will have her own interpretation of certain cards in certain decks that will not correspond to what the booklet says. I learned by reading book after book and practising on anyone who would let me. So just try stuff out, see what works for you, and practice.

I actually disagree somewhat with Nerys53 - sometimes learning IS a chore. It's fun, sure, but everyone hits a bit of a plateau sometimes and I think in order to truly get better you just have to keep slogging ahead anyway. Do that and you'll find yourself in possession of the skills you need.

desiibabii2008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »

Hello there! Im new. I like to leave the god and the godess offerings. I pray to them daily and light a candle on my alter for them when i open up the windows, and let the sun in for the plants. I pray to give thanks for my blessings, and for their presence.  

I think to be able to talk to them, getting to know them is an important step. Showing appreciation when things are going well will also help when things dont go well, to have a good relationship from the spirit would be asking help from.

I hope that helps!

Tags: